How hard percentage wise?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
How hard would you say you swing percentage wise ,full speed being 100%.
1. Irons
2.Driver
The reason I ask is because I believe mine are totally different,miles apart in fact.
Feel vs real they are probably not.
My irons I would say 85%
Driver I would say 95%
I really would like to slow my driving down as I feel out of control at times,however with my irons I feel very much in control and in balance.
I just think if i could slow my driving down,get more control I could get to scratch,however sometimes I just haven’t got that control or consistency.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You know what.....I don't know...and I don't think about it...
I just swing the club
If I start down the " I need a 70% swing here instead of 85" route I'm doomed......

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
You know what.....I don't know...and I don't think about it...
I just swing the club
If I start down the " I need a 70% swing here instead of 85" route I'm doomed......

Yep its about finding a rhythm that is controlled and repeatable, that's very unlikely to be 100%

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The gentler I swing, the better connection I make. The harder I swing the worse my timing gets.

I'm probably about 80%, that what I'm thinking in my head, but what it really is I don't know. 80% across the board.

The worse one I do are for my 2 hybrids and possibly my 7 iron. All of these end up being 90% because the evil voice on my shoulder convinces me they need a harder swing :rolleyes:. Absolute muppetry, it's a battle I lose most of the time :(

D

Deleted member 21258

At moment(hands/elbows are an issue):-

80% driver
70% irons, which is causing me to slow down into impact and any result happens

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Probably 95% with a driver. I’m generally trying to hit it as far as I can.

Irons. It depends on the shot. I’d guess 90% for a stock shot.

Albo

Visit site
Mine is changing I was struggling to get my 5i launched or get distance so now trying to hammer 5 and 6 so prob 95+ on those maybe 80 on the other irons and wedges, maybe 85 on woods and driver

RichA

Visit site
I hit everything except wedges and putter at 100%. Temperature, mood, aches and pains might influence how much power 100% actually delivers on any given day, but I give every driver, hybrid and iron shot the full treatment.
Whenever I've tried taking a bit off, the result is always a bad strike.
Having said that, I only play for enjoyment. If I was desperate to win competitions or reduce my handicap then I might be a bit less cavalier.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably 95% with a driver. I’m generally trying to hit it as far as I can.

Irons. It depends on the shot. I’d guess 90% for a stock shot.

Yeah this I think. Defo with driver as much as I can give it without losing balance and sacrificing strike. So obvs that’s not actually 100% but 100% I could miss the ball and fall over. So 95%+ probably, if Im playing well Im at the limit of what I can deliver.

I shorten my backswing on short irons for control and then give the ball a good smack from there. So probably 95% of what I can with a 3/4ish swing, which is probably 89.57% of a full swing. Or thereabouts.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very difficult to answer that. I definitely never hit at 100% speed that I could manage, as that would be chaos, just a wild lash, I'd probably miss the ball. But if you're never at 100% it's hard to judge what percentage you are at. I'd throw out a guess at maybe 80-85% with most shots? Normally I just want to strike the ball well, I'm not thinking about how fast I do it. It's just a speed that feels natural. (Hence it's not very fast compared to most people.)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This is where modern drivers have a huge advantage over vintage, they're so huge that you can really go at them with all you've got and still find enough of the face to get a decent shot away.

I'd guess that I swing at around 75 to 85% with all clubs.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This is where modern drivers have a huge advantage over vintage, they're so huge that you can really go at them with all you've got and still find enough of the face to get a decent shot away.

I'd guess that I swing at around 75 to 85% with all clubs.
Clearly you've never witnessed a Fragger drive........:eek::ROFLMAO:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With driver it depends how much trouble there is.

Somewhere between a poke and full beans.

My iron swing is fairly lazy.

I can keep up with the longest that we play with when hitting driver. With irons I'm usually a club more than they hit.

D

Deleted member 31467

How hard would you say you swing percentage wise ,full speed being 100%.
1. Irons
2.Driver
The reason I ask is because I believe mine are totally different,miles apart in fact.
Feel vs real they are probably not.
My irons I would say 85%
Driver I would say 95%
I really would like to slow my driving down as I feel out of control at times,however with my irons I feel very much in control and in balance.
I just think if i could slow my driving down,get more control I could get to scratch,however sometimes I just haven’t got that control or consistency.
My course is just under 6500 yards the scratch boys only hit driver on 2 or 3 holes. Unless your course is much longer I doubt it's your driver thats holding you back.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If I hold back on my driver I tend to get poorer dispersion, and less distance of course, so I tend to try and hit at around 95%.

With my irons, I've found that the best results come from swing slower than I actually think I should. Of course, the reality is, thrashing your arms through the swing as fast as possible doesn't mean you are going to hit it a long way - an old pro once explained to me the importance of transferring the bodies inertia to the clubhead at the correct moment. If you do that correctly, and find the sweet spot off the club face, you'll hit it a long way.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Could be anything with irons depending on the situation. Ideally try and hit it about 15 yards less than absolute max, but notmally your trying to hit low and soft or hard and high etc etc... Id absolutely go 100% effort if that was the best call....

100% with driver, more than happy to miss strike and fall over.

Wedges, always less than 90%, I never even take a full swing for anything under PW

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve no idea tbh.

I think my swing speed for any club sits within an envelope that varies according to my objective for the shot to be played. If I swing on or past the upper edge I lose control as it becomes too ‘army’ as I initiate the downswing. If I swing on or past the lower edge I tend to control it too much and it becomes too ‘handy’.

As a result I have changed to not thinking at all about my swing, instead I very simply focus on process and the ball strike I want. I let the swing that happens just happen. At the moment I am focussing on hitting the ball toe-side of centre for all clubs and I let intuition sort out the swing that delivers that objective. So in that respect I suppose it is 100% of what’s required.?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I'd guess about 85% with the driver & about 75% with my irons
If I really go after a big one with the driver, I usually push / slice it

Irons are different, that really depends more on the shot I want to play, the hardest I hit then is about 75%, but some into a strong wind I'll club up & hit it softer.