How far do you hit your PW?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the club manufacturers are playing on the amateur vanity chords, when they (the amateur has just seen his favourite pro hit his 8 iron 210 yds).

I'm not bothered by what the loft is, the club number is just a reference for me and I have no interest in comparing willy lengths:)
BTW, I play Ping i20's, and my PW is 45 or 46, and goes 105yds under still conditions and comfortable ambient temps:)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
because technology is improving allowing even thinner faces and maximum weight crammed into smaller places. if you think it's all a con then can you explain why there are no jacked blades on the market

I don't think the technology is a con, but the numbering on the bottom is.

Jacking of clubs (blades included, look at the T100 above) has been going on since the 1940s, it's just gone exponential in the last 10 or 20 years and has now reached ridiculous levels.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think the technology is a con, but the numbering on the bottom is.

Jacking of clubs (blades included, look at the T100 above) has been going on since the 1940s, it's just gone exponential in the last 10 or 20 years and has now reached ridiculous levels.

so if its all a con then why doesn't a jacked pw fly like an 8 iron? why does it still peak hight the same as a 45 degree pw?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
exactly. now take the pw from that set and bend 6 dregees of loft of it to make it jacked. what would happen then

It would go further but peak at the same height, assuming shaft length has been adjusted slightly, shaft creep has been going on for decades too!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would go further but peak at the same height, assuming shaft length has been adjusted slightly, shaft creep has been going on for decades too!
are you saying that if a pw from a set is made 6 degree stronger out the box then peak hight would still be the same? it would peak a little lower than when when an 8 iron peaks. not when a pw should peak to get a pw decent angle. new jacked pw have a normal pw decent angle. a new pw will not decend like a traditional 8 iron

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

So ultimately what is the big problem with companies having different lofts for their irons ?
is it down to vanity ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
are you saying that if a pw from a set is made 6 degree stronger out the box then peak hight would still be the same?

Assuming a good strike then petty much yes, and more so if you adjusted the length to suit.
Smash factor will be increased as will club head speed.

Below is from the LPGA, which more closely resembles our game.

1579537715201.png

D

Deleted member 15344

Have you read anything in the posts above?
Yes but I still don’t see the big issue ?

Surely all that matter is knowing how far you hit each club - what else really matters beyond that ?

Hoganman1

Visit site
My 43.5* PW goes between 95 and 100 yards. I agree with most of the posts here and realize my PW was a nine iron twenty five years ago. Also, my 19* four iron was actually a two iron back in the the nineties. I guess it is good for my 70 year old ego that I still use a seven iron from 145 yards even though I know the truth. I just try to remember what Ben Hogan said when asked how far he hit a seven iron. "That's the wrong question", Hogan replied. "The question should be, how close".

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Assuming a good strike then petty much yes, and more so if you adjusted the length to suit.
Smash factor will be increased as will club head speed.

Below is from the LPGA, which more closely resembles our game.

View attachment 29009
That's the PGA not LPGA. I'm happy for them to call the club's what they want, who cares? Nobody has to buy them. I play traditional lofts but would not care if someone turned up with these, why would I?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Choosing lofts is like choosing head,shaft ,grip imo.
If you know how far each club goes that’s all that matters,.
There are very few standard things in golf.
As long as they conform !

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Choosing lofts is like choosing head,shaft ,grip imo.
If you know how far each club goes that’s all that matters,.
There are very few standard things in golf.
As long as they conform !

The R&A and the USGA have been far too slow to react to club developments and the horse has already bolted on that one, but that's a whole other thread and I'm not getting involved!