How do you like your balls?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
For those that play the same ball regularly, what led you to that choice? Was it price related, brand loyalty, feel or something else? And how long have you played the same ball?

Cheers

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I feel premium balls are wasted at my level so not worth the expense.
I don't stick to one brand either.
Usually go for Bridgestone e6 or Srixon ad333 used off eBay.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Typically, I'll stick to a mid-range ball and buy them when on offer. Chromesofts if I am paying and Titleist Velocity for 2's money. Currently, using project A's as I won a dozen.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always use 3 or more piece balls because I understand the benefits over a 2 piece ball eg Srixon AD333 compared to a Srixon AD333 Tour.

My choice then comes to down to how well a ball suits my swing speed, how good the full shot spin is and particularly how good greenside spin is, how soft the ball feels off the putter and lastly price.

My current choice of balls are Bridgestone B330RXS for when the greens are hard and running well and Bridgestone B330RX for when greens are softer and slower.
I have been using them for about 3 years.

I have tried all the 'premium' brands out at one time or another but settled on these out of them mainly because most of the top end balls are much the same with just very slight differences between them but I was able to buy these at a very favourable price.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i used to use any old ball, but when i got below 9 i found some constancy and had a light bulb moment playing with a mate, found i wasn't holying any greens with my wedges and was confused by this as the day before i had been. He said to me what ball were you using yesterday and what today. well yesterday was a Prov1 and today was NXT. there you go then was his reply.

switched to prov and back to holding the green. so used a prem ball since. Plus i like the feel of a prov1 off the putter. Lucky that i don't have to buy ball that often, as one of my dogs is a suprem hunter of ball and usually finds at least a couple of Pro1 per day or more .

for a medal i would use a Pro1X as first choice

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
ProV1 or x (or equivalent tp5 etc)
Luckily I spend lots of time playing/walking/spectating at heathland courses and usually find half a dozen a week

Not had to buy one for at least a year ☺

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I base my choice on how the ball feels off of the club face, personally I prefer a softer ball like 'Srixon soft feel' or 'Callaway chrome-soft' and steer well clear of the likes of 'Callaway Warbirds' which feel/sound like yer hitting a musket ball...

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Have a bag full of different balls, usually corporate gifts but if I'm on my own dime i go for the Srixon AD333 be interested to try the tour version mentioned and see what the difference is.
Am not against Pro V1 just not sure I'm good enough to get / notice the benefits?
GBC

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use a ball, partially related to performance and partially price. I'm never forking out £40 + a dozen. There are many good balls out there that suit your game. That is key - finding one that does what you want it to. I have PP that use cheap balls because they don't want/need spin around greens (the land it short and chase it up). I'm the opposite. Find a ball at a price your happy with that does what you need it to do.....i.e. that suits your game

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I like a soft feel and a little bit of spin, but since I struggle with distance, I also like them to fly a long way. And since I lose quite a few of them (6 in today's round for example) I also want them to be cheap. I've found that lady balls as lake balls give me the best value for money. I just found an offer of 24 new Srixon Softfeel Ladies for 25 €, so just about one Euro per ball and for that price, I think I can even risk buying brand new ones for a change and will do so once I've run out of my current Callaway Solaires.

But I also like to pick up balls I find on the course and try them out. At the moment I have a Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis which I quite like and today I drowned a Wilson Dx3 which, up to it's watery death, had also been behaving quite well. And I am still sad to have lost my Srixon Z-star tour yellow last week. That's the fun thing about it. When I find a ball like that and it performs well, I form a bit of an emotional bond to that individual ball and it hurts me when I lose it. Buying a package of the same kind would probably not feel the same :D

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Performance and flight for me, the more I use the Nike RZN black volt the more I like the feel. 😀

Control seems perfect at the moment

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On the fairway.

I have a load (many dozen) premium balls but these days my game doesn't warrant me using them and I prefer a firmer ball so have opted for the AD333 tour or NXT-S as they give me better distance (and I'm still short) and still give me a degree of control around the green

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks all.

Looking for a change. Have played the NXT Tour-S most of the year and 0.1 back has been a recurring theme. Obviously nothing to do with the ball but fancy a change anyway. I have 3 on the hit list;

Chromesoft
DX3 Spin
B330 RX

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks all.

Looking for a change. Have played the NXT Tour-S most of the year and 0.1 back has been a recurring theme. Obviously nothing to do with the ball but fancy a change anyway. I have 3 on the hit list;

Chromesoft
DX3 Spin
B330 RX

All decent. My personal preference is Chromesoft

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Prefer a premium ball for holding the green, and like the feel of them off the putter. Price? I hate paying silly money for them, and certainly won't pay more than £40 a doz. I always buy last year's model, sometimes for as little as £20 a doz. The beginning of this year, as I normally do, I bought a few dozen for less than £30 a doz. Sweep money will take care of any more I need.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Been using Titleist prov1 for years then professional 90s before that. Recently I tried:

Wilson FG Tour.. An ok ball but marks and discolours almost instantly.

Cally Chromesoft.. Very soft feel but managed to split one in under 2 rounds.

Srixon Zstar... Ok but not near as responsive around the greens.

I have got some TM tp5x to try, so far so good but only played around 9 holes so will reserve judgement til ive a few rounds played with them.

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Been using Titleist prov1 for yoears then professeional 90s before that. Recently I tried:

Wilson FG Tour.. An ok ball but marks and discolours almost instantly.

Cally Chromesoft.. Very soft feel but managed to split one in under 2 rounds.

Srixon Zstar... Ok but not near as responsive around the greens.

I have got some TM tp5x to try, so far so good but only played around 9 holes so will reserve junction til ive a few rounds played with them.

You been thinning the bejesus out of them again Brendy :) :)