How do you decide which ball?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried loads over the years and use Pro V, Bridgestone (cheaper but as good as Pro V) and Z Stars. Can get the latter two makes pretty cheap most of the time. In the winter I use a mid-price ball (NXT AD333) as they stick better on the wet greens and give a bit more yardage. Simply done on trial and error

Sorry but this is an absolutely classic post on balls!

1.ProV1 and ProV1x are miles apart in construction and feel - so which and why?
2. 'Bridgestone' is complerely meaningless
3. There are 2 models of Z-Star with an even bigger difference in construction, feel and technical data than the Pro V's- which and why?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry but this is an absolutely classic post on balls!

1.ProV1 and ProV1x are miles apart in construction and feel - so which and why?
2. 'Bridgestone' is complerely meaningless
3. There are 2 models of Z-Star with an even bigger difference in construction, feel and technical data than the Pro V's- which and why?

Sigh

Pro V1x (as fitted by Titleist)
Bridgestone B330 RXS (found best suited for my game)
Srixon Z Star XV (again suits my game)

Really don't see what your problem is. Read the last sentence. Done on trial and error and works best for me.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sigh

Pro V1x (as fitted by Titleist)
Bridgestone B330 RXS (found best suited for my game)
Srixon Z Star XV (again suits my game)

Really don't see what your problem is. Read the last sentence. Done on trial and error and works best for me.
My problem was, as explained, that you were presenting a range of balls with wildly different specifications (including an entire manufacturers range) as if they were all the same, or that the differences didn't matter!

Thank you for clarifying. You prefer a high compression high spin cover ball aimed at high swing speeds from Titliest or Srixon, or the model specifically targeted for (lower) swings speeds <105 from Bridgestone.

I'm the same - bizarre isn't it.

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used Prov1 x until my wife threatened to leave me due to the unusually high payments on our bank statements.

I switched on advice of my club pro to Bridegstone E6 - they spin less off the tee, and hence they don't spin as much around the greens.

They've helped me loads - my bad 'uns don't slice or hook as far wide of the target as they used to, and they are "ok" around the greens, but they certainly release more when you have less than 120 yrds to go, so you have to play for a bit of run.

IMO, they would help any mid - high handicapper who suffers with direction.