How did you choose you're ball.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
In essence I smashed a ball outta bounds yesterday and pulled a provisional out and hit a screamer, plus many other memorable shots. It was a ball I had not used before, but I like it. Something I have mentioned on another topic. But there are suggestions that the ball don't make that much differance to a swing. If that's the case why are we all using differant balls with differant spin factors. If balls are not that important then fair enough. But how did you choose your ball, if not fitted and how do you know it's the right ball for you?
Thoughts please me dears.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just go on eBay and find a good deal on some lake balls. Usually pay about £15-20 for about 40 balls. Decent enough quality for me, I know some people don't like the idea but they work out fine for me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last year I began using Wilson Staff DX2 - they are possibly the softest ball around, lowest compression I believe, and cheap so they suited me down to the ground for a long time.

This summer when it got really hot and dry, I noticed I couldn't stop the DX2 on the greens at all so decided I need to move to a three-piece with a bit more spin. I did a bit of research online reading reviews etc, still didn't want to spend too much, so I tried out the Bridgestone e6 Soft and they've been pretty good. As I mentioned in your other topic, I shot some good scores with them and noticed them stopping much better, so confirmation bias it may be, but sticking with them for now.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
In essence I smashed a ball outta bounds yesterday and pulled a provisional out and hit a screamer, plus many other memorable shots. It was a ball I had not used before, but I like it. Something I have mentioned on another topic. But there are suggestions that the ball don't make that much differance to a swing. If that's the case why are we all using differant balls with differant spin factors. If balls are not that important then fair enough. But how did you choose your ball, if not fitted and how do you know it's the right ball for you?

Really interesting topic, for me I generally used balls that were on offer. I liked the Srixon AD333 as it just felt nice to got them whenever they were cheap. Sometimes I treated myself to a sleeve of Pro V1s but that was based more on reputation and marketing I guess. Nice balls but couldn't quantify the difference between them and other urethane balls.

Recently I bought a load of Vice Pro balls. I got the tester pack and played with all of them, and thought the pros felt nicer than the others and I played better with them.

I then went to an indoor simulator and hit all the balls blind. Covered up the model with black pen, and got my dad to colour code them, only he knew the colours. The idea being it would remove confirmation bias.

The numbers and feel all came out in favour of the Pro ball which backed up my less scientific analysis on the course. So bought 6 dozen Pro balls.

I would like to think I prefer soft balls over everything else, I think that's a personal thing more than anything and a soft ball makes me feel like I have more control in my short game, but that isn't backed up with anything.

Urethane balls a generally softer than Ionmer or Surlyn so if possible I go for them. But seen a Facebook advert recently for Wilson Staff 50 elite with a compression of 50. No urethane and seems a bit low to the point it could affect distances but would be interested in hitting a couple

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I then went to an indoor simulator and hit all the balls blind. Covered up the model with black pen, and got my dad to colour code them, only he knew the colours. The idea being it would remove confirmation bias.

Marketing teams at golf companies will be in panic mode!!

More power to your elbow.... what a sensible apprpoach!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The guy at our pro shop recommended the Wislon DX2 soft women to me, because they are low compression. Also all the Wilson balls are sponsored by our golf club, meaning we get them a bit cheaper. So that's what I usually go with when I buy new balls. Before that I played pink Callaway Solaire lakeballs, because they looked pretty.

Currently I am playing the TaylerMade Project(s), though, because I got 4 dozen balls for free as a ball tester. I like them a lot, they look pretty classy. I don't think there is much difference to the Wilsons, if I am honest (even though compression is higher on the Project(s). The Wilsons claim a compression of 29, Project(s) are 60, but I am not even sure if the numbers are comparable between different vendors. Haven't notice any difference when hitting them) But then again, conditions have been ridiculous due to the total lack of rain since early May. The four dozen balls are going to last me at least for the rest of this year, I would guess, probably longer. After that I am going to play whatever comes my way next.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I firstly read what is says about the ball on the side of the packet or internet reviews

I then take the ball to the practice greens to check out how well it spins on the short greenside shots and see how it feels off the putter. Many balls including some top brands do not get past this test for me. To me this is the area where the difference in the balls really shows up.

Those that get past this test are then taken out for a practice or social round normally I will play my usual ball for one hole and the trial ball on the next.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think a ball is going to make much difference to the long game. Certainly in terms of how you swing or the direction a ball goes in.

Obviously a harder ball will go further, all other factors being equal, but you would need to be a very good golfer with a very consistent swing and impact to really notice that, IMO.

If you are struggling for distance, then change your swing / fitness / strike - not your ball.

For me the ball makes a much bigger difference in the short game, and this is noticeable. I generally play with a Srixon soft feel - a good compromise between economy and performance. Titleist proV and Callaway chrome soft are too expensive imo, to carve the odd one into a field.

Last night, I sadly lost a ball on 17. Annoyed at playing a daft shot and with a long par 4 to come, I simply grabbed a ball out of my bag. A top Flite that I had obviously picked up on a course somewhere. Given it was the last hole, and a longun, I decided just to put it in play. Hit a decent, long drive (this was more to do with hitting the middle of the club face, rather than the Top Flite imo).

After another 2 shots, found myself to the right of the green with a bunker to come over. Hit a really nice shot, perfect contact with a 54 and it looked like it was going to roll down a few feet past the pin.

When I walked round the back of the green and got my putter, I saw that it had rolled a long way past and I had about a 15 footer. I may have gained a few yards on the drive, but I lost probably half a stroke on my chip. I reckon a softer ball would not have gone as far on the ground.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was given a dozen TaylorMade Project A Balls. They seem really good - not sure there is much difference between them and TP5 and TP5X balls.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't think a ball is going to make much difference to the long game. Certainly in terms of how you swing or the direction a ball goes in.

Obviously a harder ball will go further, all other factors being equal, but you would need to be a very good golfer with a very consistent swing and impact to really notice that, IMO.

If you are struggling for distance, then change your swing / fitness / strike - not your ball.

For me the ball makes a much bigger difference in the short game, and this is noticeable. I generally play with a Srixon soft feel - a good compromise between economy and performance. Titleist proV and Callaway chrome soft are too expensive imo, to carve the odd one into a field.

Last night, I sadly lost a ball on 17. Annoyed at playing a daft shot and with a long par 4 to come, I simply grabbed a ball out of my bag. A top Flite that I had obviously picked up on a course somewhere. Given it was the last hole, and a longun, I decided just to put it in play. Hit a decent, long drive (this was more to do with hitting the middle of the club face, rather than the Top Flite imo).

After another 2 shots, found myself to the right of the green with a bunker to come over. Hit a really nice shot, perfect contact with a 54 and it looked like it was going to roll down a few feet past the pin.

When I walked round the back of the green and got my putter, I saw that it had rolled a long way past and I had about a 15 footer. I may have gained a few yards on the drive, but I lost probably half a stroke on my chip. I reckon a softer ball would not have gone as far on the ground.

A ball being soft does not mean it will stop quicker, there is no correlation between being soft and spin. But I get the point you are making- a ball which gives you more control around the green will help a lot more than being a few yards longer off the tee.

Remember Titleist even admit there is a couple of yards in distance between their entire range of balls.

The most important thing is consistency- if you play the Top Flight ball then you know it will run out more and you can adjust for that. The worst thing is grabbing any old ball which will result in some spinning more and some rolling out more and you will never know what will happen.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I attended a few golf show where ball fitting was a freebie - I generally use price as a factor

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

When I first started playing I’d use anything I could find. The bag was full of all sorts, when I joined a society and they started declaring the ball they were using I thought I’d have a mare remembering which one I’d grabbed out most recently so did a google and bought a few of the cheaper options to try.

Came me across the Vice balls which I think are well priced if bought in bulk and have settled on them. Usually get a batch of tours for Xmas and pro for bday. 120 balls sees me through the season. I always wait till they have offers on and get them personalised. They’re a unique enough brand that I’m not likely to play someone else’s ball even if left plain. But once theres a Saints creast on one side and my daughters autographs on the back, nobody else will hit mine either!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Price.
I buy whatever is on offer - I'm not good enough for the ball to make any difference.
Plus I've noticed that I lose expensive balls quicker then cheap ones!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
A ball being soft does not mean it will stop quicker, there is no correlation between being soft and spin. But I get the point you are making- a ball which gives you more control around the green will help a lot more than being a few yards longer off the tee.

Remember Titleist even admit there is a couple of yards in distance between their entire range of balls.

The most important thing is consistency- if you play the Top Flight ball then you know it will run out more and you can adjust for that. The worst thing is grabbing any old ball which will result in some spinning more and some rolling out more and you will never know what will happen.

Ok. maybe should have phrased it better. A softer ball would have stopped quicker on the ground and not been as hot off the club face - for what was a soft, nipped contact.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wilson Staff DX2 were pretty much the first new box of balls that I bought and I have stuck with them. Performance is fine for my level of golf and the price is excellent. Bought a few others when on sale that have been good, Callaway, Bridgestone etc. Sometimes buy a few boxes of last year's model when they go on sale.

Basically do not want to pay much more than £15.00 a dozen, not sure I would get anything more out of a more expensive ball so see what is available at that sort of price and if nothing else takes my fancy, the good old DX2 is always available for that.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just go on eBay and find a good deal on some lake balls. Usually pay about £15-20 for about 40 balls. Decent enough quality for me, I know some people don't like the idea but they work out fine for me.

I did this, except I bought them at a club I went to not on ebay (was £5 for 40 so who can complain).

After playing and losing most of those I found that I enjoyed the AD333's quite a bit, from those in the range I was willing to pay, so I bought those, for me its mostly how I feel/like putting the ball since as people have also said the ball is not the biggest variable in my game.