How did you choose you're ball.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Generally at a given point in time I'll grab several sleeves of various models that i'm interested in trying and play them all over several round/part rounds to see how they feel (yes I know feel is subjective and often based on the impact sound). I'll settle on one model with probably the primary factor how it performs off the putter face and around the green...I prefer a dull muted (soft) feel to something that is "clicky".

I then play with this ball until the manufacturer ceases production or "improves" said ball - which usually means they've actually made it worse, a la TM with the original Penta, Callaway making an absolute dogs breakfast of the 2018 Chrome soft compared to the 2016 version and god knows how many other balls ups (pun intended) in the name of "progress". In the case of a new ball being worse than the old one I'll try to buy stock of the old model (which is why I've got 10 dozen boxes of the 2016 Chrome Soft in my garage) and whne they have all gone i'll hopefully have had a chance to try some other "new releases" to see if any suit.

Quite partial to the AVX but at over £40 a dozen its a hard justification when I can get 2016 Chrome Softs for £23 a dozen.

DCB

Visit site
Recently had to look at this to find the best option for my now much slower swing. I ended up going to the Srizon UltiSoft ball which was designed for slower swings. It has a very low compression rating and feels good off the driver and the putter. I certainly feel it is easier to control than some of the "harder" balls I tried alongside.

I used to use TaylorMade TP balls when I could play "proper" golf as they suited my game back then. I just can't get them airborne now as I don't generate enough clubhead speed.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
whatever premium ball is on offer. I then buy what I think is a seasons worth and then just crack on.

D

Deleted member 1147

Most of the top players use Pro V's, so I thought "if I use them I will be as good as they are"

It hasn't quite worked out as I hoped

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I get whatever 3 piece balls that I find on offer.
Buy a couple of dozen, then search the internet for more offers after 3 rounds......

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I found it - and if it wasn't cut or otherwise damaged - it becomes a possible. If it didn't say Pro V1 on it I googled to check that it wasn't a bargain basement one.

'Ball fitting' is way down my list of things to concern myself about in respect of improving my game.

Maybe I should think more about the ball I use. But given I learned the game playing whatever ball I found about the course - playing with bashed, bulging and cut Slazengers, Penfolds, Commandos, 65s, Plus 6s, and as the only new ball I ever had was the one in a wrapper from Santa in my christmas stocking - I just struggle to take it seriously. It's a golf ball. The only ball I ever eschewed pretty much from day 1 was Price's Everlasting. Even as a complete beginner I could feel that it was just rubber and went absolutely nowhere.

I should add that my pro has told me to stop playing any ball, choose one and stick with it. And as I have a load of ProV1/V1xs (all pickups of course :) ) that is all I have in my bag today.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve got pro v1s, Avx and tp5s in my ball box. Along with those I have some callaway super soft sand the old NXT’s

Can’t really distinguish the difference bar the feel. So not fussed what ball it is as long as it’s in good nick and not a crap brand.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Price is a major consideration but it tends to be simply a case of getting a sleeve of a particular brand, trying them on the course and seeing what they're like. I tend to stick to certain brands (Chrome Soft. Pro V for my premium balls and AD333 Tour, NXT for my firmer, mid-priced balls)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use ProV1s, maybe a cheaper ball would work as well for me but I feel more confident using the ProV

🤔 I'm frequently stuck having to use them because they are the most common ball I find!

Still yet to find a single project (a) ball - and I'm not going to buy any more (even though they do seem to work rather well for me as well as having theoretical advantages.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
When it comes to golf balls I use the one I can spin the most, simple as that. Spin is your friend. Most players can’t spin the ball as much as they could, so why sacrifice potential stopping power.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I bought 8 dozen of those nike platinum balls that were going for a song.

Still have over 5 dozen sitting and a while pile ive played with in the golf bag.

Will keep me going all next season too.

D

Deleted member 15717

Pro V1 loyalist here, so usually buy 4 dozen for the price of 3 when they do the offer.

Got 5 dozen vice for Christmas, and they ball only lasts one round as they cut and colour very easily.

When these are up, i’ll have a search. Probably go back to Pro V1, but who knows

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Easy, Titleist hiked the price up years ago so I went back to Bridgestone, after they stopped with the Rexstar and Precept balls I went to Titleist, but never again just ridiculous the price they charge. Now its Vice Pro+ and I like to play/use the lesser known companies.