How bad does it need to get?

oleinone

Visit site
As mentioned in the " best wet weather gloves" post, we have regular senior matches against local clubs some of which have been blighted by very heavy rain. Sploshing through puddles, rain pouring off your hat into your collar, struggling to find a puttable line, numb hands - what the hell am i doing playing in this? Would have been very happy to call it a draw and retreat but. as it's a match, some partners seem to feel duty bound to see it through. I haven't "wimped out" yet but it's been at or beyond the limit. What do you think?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem with playing a match in the rain, is that you kind of need to be all square to even suggest calling it off and returning another day. If you're trailing and you suggest it, it might look like you're just trying to abandon the match and avoid losing. Whereas if you're in the lead you might think "let's just get through it and win, they're obviously struggling more with the conditions than we are/I am".

If I'm just going for a knock I don't mind the odd shower or downpour, I have a jacket and an umbrella. If it's already chucking it down before we even begin though, with no signs of it stopping soon, we'll probably sack the idea off. I've played a whole round in the rain if it's not super-heavy - like constant drizzle is bearable.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When your various playing partners, opponents start looking at each other with desperate eyes. That tends to be the point for me :LOL:. I've played through some horror downpours, usually on away trips when you feel committed due to the cost, but when you reach the 'splodging through puddles' stage then it's time to have that knowing glance to the others and then walk in.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
No matter what format of golf you're playing...when the rain runs off your hat, in a steady stream, straight onto the back of the ball when you're putting....
It's time to call it a day

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As mentioned in the " best wet weather gloves" post, we have regular senior matches against local clubs some of which have been blighted by very heavy rain. Sploshing through puddles, rain pouring off your hat into your collar, struggling to find a puttable line, numb hands - what the hell am i doing playing in this? Would have been very happy to call it a draw and retreat but. as it's a match, some partners seem to feel duty bound to see it through. I haven't "wimped out" yet but it's been at or beyond the limit. What do you think?

We played royal Wimbledon last year in a club match, we were expecting rain so as it started spitting my PP says “ get a ball in play as the match technically has started and I know we both don’t mind rain “.

2 up after 2 and it’s now hammering down at with point our opponents suggest a draw? We laughed and said nope! 9 holes later and soaked through it turns out the three following groups all agreed the same and buggered off in. We were 4 up at the turn and there was a message waiting for us at the half way hug saying “ fair play for the commitment but we’d agreed a mural half, if we rush back there’s a few sarnies left “

Not amused! ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In addition to what I said above I would add that if there's standing water / puddles on the greens then you might as well sack it off. Becomes a total joke trying to putt through that.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In addition to what I said above I would add that if there's standing water / puddles on the greens then you might as well sack it off. Becomes a total joke trying to putt through that.

I disagree, my bumped 23* hybrid over standing water from 30ft to 6” was a work of art!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am no massive fan of playing in the rain and the cold (can normally handle one of the other but certianly not both). I will often say to my playing partners that I would rather not continue in those conditions but will happily stay out as long as anyone else wants to. That clears the hurdle of everyone waiting for someone else to say something and encourages others to say something if they are not enjoying it. I play golf for fun and would rather not play if I am not fully enjoying it.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think you've proven my point rather than arguing against it. :LOL:

At the time I wasn’t putting overly well, but in conditions like that I find shot making rather satisfying. Like GB72 though, I don’t mind rain or wind but not both, unless it’s a forum meeting at cinque ports or St. George’s in which case it’s man up and play on!

RichA

Visit site
I was in a 3-ball playing a comp during torrential rain in the Spring. Two of us quit playing halfway down the 13th when everything was so wet that the clubs were slipping and slicing everything dangerously right.
The third player was determined to carry on so we walked around the rest of the course with him to mark his card. He got 29 points. It was the second most miserable round of golf I've endured.

Bobthesock

Visit site
As long as the course remains playable the rain dosnt bother me. Get some rain gloves and decent waterproofs and you are fine. Once the greens are flooded you have had it though

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
At the time I wasn’t putting overly well, but in conditions like that I find shot making rather satisfying. Like GB72 though, I don’t mind rain or wind but not both, unless it’s a forum meeting at cinque ports or St. George’s in which case it’s man up and play on!

We might need that attitude at Hayling for H4H

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Walked off after nine in biblical conditions as my "waterproofs" most certainly were not. I was literally soaked to the skin. My bil was not pleased as we were having a competitive four ball and were one down. I offered them the money but they refused and carried on as their proofs were working.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends on why I'm out and who I'm with. Bounce game or a competition.
If the latter I don't usually go off unless its ferocious if its the former depends on how far I am in the round and what the forecast is like.

Mandofred

Visit site
As long as it’s not discussing cyclists being registered or LIV I couldn’t care.
Don't forget about....flag in or out, tending flag, talking, expensive beer (now that's serious stuff), cost of membership, slow play, not letting people through...even if there is no room, .........................