Hook update, more help please!

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Right, after working on it a bit, I do NOT hook my 3 wood or driver.

Its the irons, but now I've slowed everything down and ensure my grip is correct instead of low snappy hooks, now the balls are starting straight like I've got good contact then moving right in the air and landing about 20 yards right of target (left hand).

Could it be my swing is too flat? whats the main kind of cause for these hooks?

I know i should get a lesson but my pro is away and not back till friday!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any time you have a problem like this, it helps (to me at least) to think about it in terms of club face and path.

The ball will start (roughly) in the direction the face is pointing.
If the swing path is NOT the same angle as the club face, the ball will curve away from the path.

So in your example I'd say the club face was square to your target, but you have an in to out swing path.

I'm not a swing expert so can't offer a solution, other than to aim your club 10yds left of target without changing your aim and let it draw back?

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I very rarely take divots bob, I know i should try to with the shorter irons but its something I haven't got around to working on as since I've been hooking my ball quality of contact has decreased rapidly also.

On good contact shots the ground is ruffled but no divot as such.

Today on a par 3, a hit my tee shot about 20 yards right, and some old man smoking a pipe on the bench, said my set up is good, swing is ok but my left shoulder comes around too quickly (left handed), could this be a cause?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If your hook was caused by an out to in swing , I'd expect your swing plane to be steep taking big divots and you're not. So I wonder if your clubface is a touch closed at address? Open it a little, then take your grip and swing as normal and see if that hits it straighter for you.

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm playing today Bob so I will look at that, may leave the club face a tad open as a short term damage limitation, but I'm booked in for a lesson on Saturday so not too much longer to endure luckily!