Hooding the club face through the swing

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is something my pro highlighted during last nights lesson as something I do. To this end, it's something I have to work opn ruinning up to my next lesson.

At address the clubface is square to target.

Half way back, when the club head is level(...ish) with my hip the toe is pointing towards 10-10.30.

At the top of my backswing, the clubface points more to the sky (shut).

Here's a few pictures that hopefully highlight the issue:

Half way back:

A_zps3ce51ede.png

At the top:

B_zps1d9b4d3d.png

Apologies if the leading edge line on the club head is in the wrong position in picture 2

My grip was checked and advised as neutral, so it's not a (Strong) grip issue.

My pro wants me to work on the feeling of rolling my hands in the backswing to get the toe pointing more 'up' so as to mirror my left arm at the top of the backswing.

When I was working on the feeling in last nights lesson of rolling my wrists, I his some absolute corkers. I realise I wasn't actually rolling my wrists, probably just moving the club more effectively into the correct position.

If it's not a grip issue, what could be casuing the issue?

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is something my pro highlighted during last nights lesson as something I do. To this end, it's something I have to work opn ruinning up to my next lesson.

At address the clubface is square to target.

Half way back, when the club head is level(...ish) with my hip the toe is pointing towards 10-10.30.

At the top of my backswing, the clubface points more to the sky (shut).

Here's a few pictures that hopefully highlight the issue:

Half way back:

A_zps3ce51ede.png

At the top:

B_zps1d9b4d3d.png

Apologies if the leading edge line on the club head is in the wrong position in picture 2

My grip was checked and advised as neutral, so it's not a (Strong) grip issue.

My pro wants me to work on the feeling of rolling my hands in the backswing to get the toe pointing more 'up' so as to mirror my left arm at the top of the backswing.

When I was working on the feeling in last nights lesson of rolling my wrists, I his some absolute corkers. I realise I wasn't actually rolling my wrists, probably just moving the club more effectively into the correct position.

Did you not ask your pro during the lesson?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Did you not ask your pro during the lesson?

Yes, funnily enough I did. Hence the drills to get me 'feeling' like I'm rotating the face open, when I'm not. Grip wasn't the issue so he moved on to getting me into the correct position

This isn't constructive I know (and apologise), but are you hitting into a farmers field??

Quite right, not constructive, but yes I might as well have been :lol:

Are you gripping too tight so tense in your forearms?

Not that I'm aware Al'. Having no issue with excessive glove wear or blisters so I would assume not.

Do you have any longer trousers? :)

Now that you mention it I could do with a new pair :thup:

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry if I missed it but if you asked your pro during the lesson he must of given you an acceptable answer?

Why the need to ask on here? Do you not trust him?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry if I missed it but if you asked your pro during the lesson he must of given you an acceptable answer?

Through the video analysis, he showed me where I was going wrong. He then had me address the ball and make a half swing so he could physically show me where the club head was. He'd then move me to the top of the swing to show me the result. Then explain how this affected the rest of the swing and resulting ball flight.

He checked my grip and had me, as I've already said, working through drills to get the club head into a better position, both half way back and at the top.

To be honest, it never crossed my mind to ask for the cause of the hooding as the drills had the club head moving in a better position through the swing. I didn't want to over complicate things in the lesson, but through today, it's just got me thinking as to the cause.

Why the need to ask on here? Do you not trust him?

I felt the need to post on here to gauge opinion, seek advise, ask the forum experts, isn't that what the forum is for?

I trust my pro implicitly, trust has othing to do with why I'm posing this question though. Every change he's ever made has had me improving, so I can't ask for any more.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
whats the difference between this rolling open on the way back and fanning the club open which is supposedly frowned upon?

I get good results from a feeling of fanning the club on the way back.

or is it not in fact open but square to your body rotation? :mmm:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Like that video Gary :thup:

Just got off the phone to my pro to ask what he throught the cause was.

He has watched the video back several times and seems to think the issue is caused by incorrect movement by my right arm (... Too rigid). he wants me to work on 'softening' it and allowing some rotation to get the club face into a better position, as per the drills.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
yeah I stumbled across it the other night. it seemed to click with me. I was struggling to find that video again! some of it goes way over my head but I thought you would at least like to see that bit.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like that video Gary :thup:

Just got off the phone to my pro to ask what he throught the cause was.

He has watched the video back several times and seems to think the issue is caused by incorrect movement by my right arm (... Too rigid). he wants me to work on 'softening' it and allowing some rotation to get the club face into a better position, as per the drills.

There you go, best answer you could of wished for

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

You are creating something that I refer to as 'anti-roll' and what is basically happening is your left arm is working too deep whilst you try to keep the club outside your hands. This causes the right elbow to start bending too early and puts the wrists in an 'out of line' condition, thereby hooding the face.

Your left arm should swing back a little more down the line of your toes (when viewed down the line)... you're basically fighting your old habit of dragging the club too far to the inside.... except you haven't dealt with the actual cause!!

On the right is Ernie Els, Sergio Garcia and Tiger....

The left arm (for all 3 of them) is working more 'away' from the target instead of too much to the inside, and their right elbows (subsequently) aren't as bent as yours.

IeFNJRM.gif

Hope that helps :thup:

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
You are creating something that I refer to as 'anti-roll' and what is basically happening is your left arm is working too deep whilst you try to keep the club outside your hands. This causes the right elbow to start bending too early and puts the wrists in an 'out of line' condition, thereby hooding the face.

Your left arm should swing back a little more down the line of your toes (when viewed down the line)... you're basically fighting your old habit of dragging the club too far to the inside.... except you haven't dealt with the actual cause!!

On the right is Ernie Els, Sergio Garcia and Tiger....

The left arm (for all 3 of them) is working more 'away' from the target instead of too much to the inside, and their right elbows (subsequently) aren't as bent as yours.

IeFNJRM.gif

Hope that helps :thup:

Great explanation James.

Thanks for that :thup:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great explanation James.

Thanks for that :thup:

Good sound advice for sure.

Also you can check your leading edge at this 1st parallel, there's a 'corridor' that the leading edge can be in, from the leading edge at 90 degrees toe up to the leading edge being parallel to your spine angle. Shaft at this '1st p' will be near to parallel to the toe line but a couple inches 'in front' of the toe line and not 'over' the shoes.