Home driving range nets

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Here's a question...
Apart from keeping your golf swing loose and partially getting your golf fix......
What are you achieving by hitting balls into a net in the back garden..?
You'll know when you've hit the middle of the club but how do you know where it would have gone..?
Could your practice be ingraining a massive hook or slice?
Or is it a gentle draw or fade..?
Or do you think you're nurturing a draw when its actually going 30 yards right..?
Just askin'......

Agree, without some point of reference, you are really just keeping a swing going

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Agree, without some point of reference, you are really just keeping a swing going
That is exactly what I'm doing to be honest. It's not ideal but given the situation, I'd rather be hitting balls into a net than not hitting them at all.

I am tempted by a Skytrak but there are just too many bad stories about lack of reliability outdoors. I'm very jealous of those with an indoor set up :)

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Here's a question...
Apart from keeping your golf swing loose and partially getting your golf fix......
You'll know when you've hit the middle of the club but how do you know where it would have gone..?
Or do you think you're nurturing a draw when its actually going 30 yards right..?
Just askin'......

I have a skypro. Combined with the odd video am trying to work on the things I was supposed to be working on in the winter ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Here's a question...
Just askin'......

If you know your swing and know specific drills that help you and you can work on then yes it is going to be beneficial.

Sometimes on the course/practice area we become to "goal" focused instead of concentrating on specifics.

Once I have removed an old shed I quite fancy getting a net up in its place.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Harvey Penninck wrote a nice tale about a Spring Coaching trip he did in the Spring to the Northern USA where the course was covered in snow until March.

Paraphrasing heavily, the members were so desperate to hit golf balls most had nets in their garages..... when they got to go outside, many had developed severe hooks which Pennick had to fix... a lucrative exercise!

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Harvey Penninck wrote a nice tale about a Spring Coaching trip he did in the Spring to the Northern USA where the course was covered in snow until March.

Paraphrasing heavily, the members were so desperate to hit golf balls most had nets in their garages..... when they got to go outside, many had developed severe hooks which Pennick had to fix... a lucrative exercise!
Well I would have asked him why he was fixing hooks when it's common knowledge most amateurs slice it.?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Here's a question...
Just askin'......

I am working on take away, and then club head speed. I can do mirror work for take away, but it just feels different with a ball there. I am too closed. I know it, but it feels right. Without a ball, easy, with a ball, less so. Need to hit it to make it work.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
finally goy mine built. had a wee sesh with 7, 9 and GW. used some masking tape on the face to see the strike, worked OK.

worked on tempo which is prob the first time i've done this in ages.

might try the swingyd later.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I recently bought a piece of mat similar to this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383428331011
Just so I had something to hit with whilst we’re stuck at home

Mat makes the ball sit about 2-3 inches above ground level, and I cannot for the life of me stop heel striking.

Will the mat be affecting my swing and should I look at getting a full mat so I’m the same height as the ball?
cheers!

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I recently bought a piece of mat similar to this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383428331011
Just so I had something to hit with whilst we’re stuck at home

Mat makes the ball sit about 2-3 inches above ground level, and I cannot for the life of me stop heel striking.

Will the mat be affecting my swing and should I look at getting a full mat so I’m the same height as the ball?
cheers!
Why don't you just grip down the club a little bit to make up for the difference in hight

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn’t get a net and I hit the ball against the house wall .. it’s the soft flite balls that callaway do. They fly further than std air balls hence hitting the house.
I think if they come straight back that’s fine, but I don’t know about speed or distance it’s purely elevation, contact and line.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
That is exactly what I'm doing to be honest. It's not ideal but given the situation, I'd rather be hitting balls into a net than not hitting them at all.

I am tempted by a Skytrak but there are just too many bad stories about lack of reliability outdoors. I'm very jealous of those with an indoor set up :)
A few things

skytrak is fine outside when in the shade. It’s direct sunlight.

if still an issue for you but you have over 16’ of distance, look at SkyTrak‘s rival, the Mevo+

if you have room indoors it’s just a grand more to be fully setup.