Home course

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm thinking it should have been a max cost of £50 per round to make it relevant to a majority of club golfers.

As with a lot of things in life, you get what you pay for, and as such I wouldn't expect any 'top' quality golf course to charge less than £50.
I could pay £42 to play the course most local to me - Hoebridge, would I rather pay an extra £30 and play a west hill/Woking/worplesdon? Every day of the week

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Not entirely sure I agree with the list but Silloth is pure value for money and well worth the trip.

It is, I need to go back there, it would be nice to play it in much better weather conditions than I experienced last time, the fine driving icy rain in 35 mph plus winds was no fun, almost impossible to hit anything on the outward 9, the captain afterwards said to me it was borderline being closed as it was a galeforce not a strong wind! I always look at the pictures and scenic views of it which always look stunning but unfortunately that day it was everything to stay standing upright so it wasn't a round for sightseeing :(

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I ive played Ladybank a few times we go there every other year as part of my groups autumn jolly, restaurant staff are always a bit surely, but that wouldn't stop me playing it, its a good course

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 50 quid one would be like a best of normal little members clubs.

No pretentiousness. Just classic little golf courses.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Played Ladybank a few times myself. Lovely course. Much better than Downfield.
;)

Played Downfield in May, it was saturated. Nice enough layout but condition was not great. Would agree its not a patch on Ladybank although I suspect I'm missing something with your ;) smiley!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I was holidaying up in Fife this year and for my "holiday round" it came down to a choice between Ladybank and Crail, while Ladybank looked a cracking course I went for Crail as the holiday is one of the rare chances I get to play a links course, and there are two at Crail!

If I go to Fife again I'll play Ladybank.

I don't believe you will be disappointed! Best cure for the hangover after playing Kingsbarns and TOC and a session (with caddie) in the Dunvegan!

Joined a couple of very sociable members on the 10th and scored my 2nd Eagle - again looking in the long grass at the back of the green before checking the hole! They also managed to anticipate the nasties from the caravan site beside about 15 - something I wouldn't have otherwise known about! Not sure if it's still there, but it seems another 'quirk' of quite a few Scottish courses!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played Downfield in May. Would agree its not a patch on Ladybank although I suspect I'm missing something with your ;) smiley!

Nothing meant by the ;), just had something in my eye ;)

For a course that's ranked so highly, I just found Downfield a bit "meh". Maybe it's because my formative years were spent on a Heath & Heather course that I prefer them?
I found Downfield boring if I'm honest, a few "nice" holes, but nothing to write home about. Sure it's long (off the whites) but never having been a big hitter I've always come away from courses that have length as their main defence a little disappointed.
If I were going back to Scotland for a weeks golf and were staying in that area, Ladybank would deffo go on my itinerary.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought Ladybank was superb but it's not a patch on Blairgowrie.

Although I could agree with Siloth topping that list, some of the positions are not indicative to the quality of the course

Last edited:

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing meant by the ;), just had something in my eye ;)

For a course that's ranked so highly, I just found Downfield a bit "meh". Maybe it's because my formative years were spent on a Heath & Heather course that I prefer them?
I found Downfield boring if I'm honest, a few "nice" holes, but nothing to write home about. Sure it's long (off the whites) but never having been a big hitter I've always come away from courses that have length as their main defence a little disappointed.
If I were going back to Scotland for a weeks golf and were staying in that area, Ladybank would deffo go on my itinerary.
Ive played there hundreds of times, i like it but its nowt special, its not a club id join ,its a course thats good for about 2-3 months of the year then turns into a bog basically.