Home Cinema system reccomendation

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
following on slightly from the recommend a tv thread I have for some time wanted to get a home cinema / surround sound system sorted out and would therefore appreciate any recommendations people have. I am not worried about anything too high end, it will be used on my basic 32 inch which I only use for gaming and occasionally watching dvds etc (the main tv came with a system included which is decent so I would like one for my gaming set up). I am aware that some systems only play the sound through the dvd player so this is not what I'm after I want it to play from the television so I can use it with my xbox 360 (I played COD at my mates with surround sound and it was superb). Something with 5 speakers would be good, one to sit by the tv and one for each corner of the room. I really am clueless about audio so just recommend me something that will do what I need around the £80-£100 mark if possible.

Also is there anything else I should consider when buying an audio system?

cheers.

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you wanting to switch video sources through the home cinema amp or just audio? If so check that the amp has HDMI processing for audio. Alternatively, send all your Video direct to the TV and take optical leads from your sources to the amp for audio. Depending how many sources are in your system ensure your new amp has enough digital audio in sockets.I have a Yamaha DSP-AX620 and would recommend any of the Yamaha amps. Speaker sets come down to individual choice and budget. Have a look at http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-RXV361

Hope this helps.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm glad you pointed that one out MVP I can get that exact system for £90 so around my budget. Do you know if it will definitely work with the audio from my tv (and as a result my xbox) rather than just from the included dvd player?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm glad to see Richer Sounds getting a mention. I haven't looked at the links but I'm sure they will have the sort of thing you are after.

I built my own set-up from Richer.
I bought a Yamaha tuner/5.1 decoder
2 x speaker pairs and a centre.

I spent about £200. It's not a minimalist sort of thing....full size speakers etc. but BOY, is it powerful.

Since we moved house we have it set up in my attic and I have various line-ins from my pc soundcard to games consoles and tellys. It's awesome, never been over about 2/10 on the volume....I dread to think what it could do....home systems with tiny speakers pump out 5-20 watts per channel....I think mine could do 100?

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm glad you pointed that one out MVP I can get that exact system for £90 so around my budget. Do you know if it will definitely work with the audio from my tv (and as a result my xbox) rather than just from the included dvd player?

Xbox does have an optical output so that will work.. and you tv ??? not sure how many opticals it has but it did have a coaxal. what telly you got ? i can check into that