Holy grail of the golf swing?

Chasingpars

Visit site
Hi All, can anyone answer this question? Do you have to CONSCIOUSLY rotate the hips during the downswing, or should the hips unwind automatically as the consequence of a correct backswing. I am trying to get to the bottom of this once and for all!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi All, can anyone answer this question? Do you have to CONSCIOUSLY rotate the hips during the downswing, or should the hips unwind automatically as the consequence of a correct backswing. I am trying to get to the bottom of this once and for all!
Dunno…but for me the Holy Grail of the golf swing is a pure and consistent strike…and at the moment I’m not bothering much whatsoever about what my hips and shoulders are actually doing as I seek my Holy Grail.

As it happens it seems that my hip turn is working itself out as the only thing that will initiate what is required to create a bit of clubhead speed as my backswing doesn’t have the club getting much past the horizontal.?

RichA

Visit site
*I am definitely not an expert. They and other people who are genuinely good at golf probably don't have to think about it.
I do have to think about it. Especially with driver, I always hit it better if I consciously start the hip turn as the beginning of my downswing and let everything else just get dragged along behind it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everything in the swing should be automatic.

For years most teaching pros I have listened to say the movement of the hips towards the target initiates the downswing. It is probably microseconds between that and the arms moving so doing it consciously may lead to over doing it.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
One way of looking at it:
Don't lock the shoulders and hips.

On the backswing the shoulders should move back beyond the hips and cause the downward pressure to automatically move the hips back a little.
On the downswing things are reversed and the hips should move ahead of the shoulders or the head will lurch forward.
But there are many other factors which make the swing a near impossibility. Like do you take the hands out of the swing, or not.

tobybarker

Visit site
Certainly, when I'm hitting well, I FEEL I lead with the left hip turning out of the way and the hands get dragged through

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
I don’t know, very much a learner. I do think though that it’s all too easy to overcomplicate things. I try to set up well then just focus on a good turn in the backswing and getting through the ball (or a good release) and hope that things just happen. Like the poster above, think about throwing a ball and how much would you think about that. Focus on the target not the ball and definitely not the swing. That said, I’m the last person who’d I’d ask for golf tips???