Holidays on You Own, Anyone Done It

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Title sums it up really. Anyone here been on holiday on their own and how was it.

Not a sympathy post or anything but over the last couple of weeks it appears that my wife and I are going to separate. Holiday booked to Antigua in 2 weeks. Too late for a refund, this sort of thing is not covered by travel insurance as we can both go and so we are left with one of us going alone (it is all amicable so there is a chance we may still go together though that may be awkward).

So, I am thinking about going alone and the idea of a couple of weeks by the beach with books just clearing my head is not totally unappealing but then there is the thought of being at the bar on my own, meals alone etc that is a bit intimidating especially as Antigua all inclusive can be more couples based.

So, anyone done it and how did you find it.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d say it’s totally dependent on your personality - if you’re happy to chat to people, feel comfortable in your own company and enjoy it simply for a peaceful break, go for it… conversely if you’ll feel self conscious for the whole time think again.

I’ve not been on holiday but been for many business trips where I’m eating alone and I found as long as you have a good book or something to watch, it’s enjoyable just having nice food and drinks in peace 😀

RichA

Visit site
Different circumstances - MrsA doesn't enjoy holidays and I do. I've been away solo a few times and thoroughly enjoy it. You might thrive on the alone time; there might be other solos for the odd drink.

Grizzly

Visit site
I think anything of this kind comes down to whether you perceive a stigma to doing an activity solo. Some people do, some don't (others fluctuate between the two views).

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your circumstances. If it is not going to cost you anything go for it. Have you a close friend who could go with you, not ideal but an option.

Hopefully you both decide to go and good luck whatever you decide.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not done it for two weeks, just 4-5 days. It’s usually tied in with a pastime I enjoy. Mrs H occasionally disappears off with my sister for a girly week to Tenerife.

A couple of friends also do their own thing but again it’s for specific pastimes.

If the holiday you have booked includes a number of day trips, go for it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Different circumstances - MrsA doesn't enjoy holidays and I do. I've been away solo a few times and thoroughly enjoy it. You might thrive on the alone time; there might be other solos for the odd drink.
Reverse for us. I don't really enjoy holidays but the wife is keen to drag me onto them. And there's no chance of her going on her own, although she has done the odd one with friends of course.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hear this @GB72 , no kids or family you can gift it to in exchange for a long weekend somewhere for alone time without the couples awkwardness that you are worried about?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hear this @GB72 , no kids or family you can gift it to in exchange for a long weekend somewhere for alone time without the couples awkwardness that you are worried about?

Sadly not, do not have much of a family, don't have kids so it is solo or nothing.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the break-up Greg, hope you can both work it out without too much pain.

On the holiday subject, years ago as a young Billy-No-Mates I drove around Scotland staying in B&Bs and cheap hotels. I enjoyed it but then I've never been one for big party holidays.
In your shoes I'd definitely go, as you say you can just try and chill and reflect.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not done on my own, if anything there’s parents and grand parents.
But if I was you I would be gone. It gives you time to think about the what ifs coming your way. Sometimes one thinks “you don’t know what you have got until you haven’t got it”. Be that trying to reconcile with missis GB72 or going solo, you are in the perfect place to work it out.
Good luck me man.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry to hear this.

But, I think you should go on your own. See it as part of a clean break. Go and relax, you deserve it.

Maybe get some golf in?