Hole in one - who pays?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why not? Of my normal group only 2 of us usually stop for a drink. We alternate who buys, all very correct. If any of the others decide to stay, rare, we pair off as no one stops for more than 2 drinks, be it coffees or soft drinks. Why change that?

A smile and a handshake on the course is all that is needed. I wouldn't expect anyone to buy me a drink if they got a hole in one, it is not necessary.
Obviously up to you how you spend your money. I don't have money to burn but if I ever get a HIO I would have no hesitation in buying a drink for whoever was in the clubhouse. I also have no hesitation buying a drink for all my playing partners after the round. In fact when I host people from on here at my club I'll usually buy breakfast or lunch for them as they have forked out for petrol and a guest green fee.

D

Deleted member 17920

Why not? Of my normal group only 2 of us usually stop for a drink. We alternate who buys, all very correct. If any of the others decide to stay, rare, we pair off as no one stops for more than 2 drinks, be it coffees or soft drinks. Why change that?

A smile and a handshake on the course is all that is needed. I wouldn't expect anyone to buy me a drink if they got a hole in one, it is not necessary.
Wow, you are a barrel of fun.

A smile and a handshake, how rock and roll. Come on enjoy yourself, it’s the perfect shot, is what we all want to achieve before we croak it.

We had one in our group at Royal Birkdale last week all Of us were going crazy cheering,the members on the practise ground next door were getting involved in the cheering.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I'm with the OP on this one. If i ever get one then I'd buy one for my group only at best, not sure I'd even do that. I suspect I'd stay in my usual round but I'd just be grinning more. I certainly wouldn't buy them for a room full of strangers in the bar. It's an odd tradition
That’s poor! Really really poor.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I play with others I'm the first to the bar, I always pay my way. I just don't feel the need to blow out on a room full of people I either don't or barely know. I'm not going to feel bad about that, I've others I'd rather spend my money on.

D

Deleted member 1147

At my place you put a bottle of scotch on the bar for everyone to have a wee nip.
At Sherwood Forest, when I had my one and only, I bought drinks for everyone in the bar, & was delighted to do so 🍻🍺🥃(it’s just the right thing to do) 👍

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
How many have people actually got?

I mean being tightwadded enough to shirk this shouldn’t even be an issue because we don’t have them often at all. You might have to shell out for s bottle of Jameson/Bells etc once every 10 years if you are lucky.

Seriously, those folk saying they won’t should have a word with themselves.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Won't bother me if it was a fiver or £500. Anyone and everyone in the bar will be getting drinks if I get a Hole-in-one.

Even in our little society, I actually prefer winning the crap plastic trophies the stingy Chairman gets for each meeting than winning the cash pot.
Trophies can be kept for memories and be shown to your kids/grandkids. Money comes and goes, and can be earned back.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
How many have people actually got?

I mean being tightwadded enough to shirk this shouldn’t even be an issue because we don’t have them often at all. You might have to shell out for s bottle of Jameson/Bells etc once every 10 years if you are lucky.

Seriously, those folk saying they won’t should have a word with themselves.

Would be a decent malt whisky up our way 😂😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a bit like when you're a kid and it's your birthday you get a cake, yet when you're an adult and work in an office suddenly you have to buy cake for everyone else.

Our club still doesn't have an operating bar so wouldn't be an issue at the moment, haha. But if there was I'd certainly buy a round for my playing group - although I'd do that anyway even without the hole in one. If I saw anyone in the clubhouse that I actually know and like I'd probably whisper it and get them a drink, but I certainly would not be buying drinks for tables of strangers. I couldn't afford to above all else.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's a bit like when you're a kid and it's your birthday you get a cake, yet when you're an adult and work in an office suddenly you have to buy cake for everyone else.

Our club still doesn't have an operating bar so wouldn't be an issue at the moment, haha. But if there was I'd certainly buy a round for my playing group - although I'd do that anyway even without the hole in one. If I saw anyone in the clubhouse that I actually know and like I'd probably whisper it and get them a drink, but I certainly would not be buying drinks for tables of strangers. I couldn't afford to above all else.

I don’t get why you’d whisper the achievement to someone you know outside your 4-ball & get them a drink (presumably so others you’re not prepared to buy a drink for don’t overhear what you did)
It’s entirely your choice. If you don’t want to buy them a drink don’t buy it, but whispering it suggests that while you wouldn’t buy a fella a drink, you don’t actually want them to know you’re not prepared to buy them a drink

If you don't know them why do you care what they think

(btw everyone in the clubhouse will know that you got a hole in one)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t get why you’d whisper the achievement to someone you know outside your 4-ball & get them a drink (presumably so others you’re not prepared to buy a drink for don’t overhear what you did)
It’s entirely your choice. If you don’t want to buy them a drink don’t buy it, but whispering it suggests that while you wouldn’t buy a fella a drink, you don’t actually want them to know you’re not prepared to buy them a drink

If you don't know them why do you care what they think

(btw everyone in the clubhouse will know that you got a hole in one)
I didn't mean it literally for God sake. I just meant as opposed to yelling it across the room.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Came within a couple of inches the other week which in 40 years of paying is as close as I've been. Should it happen, I have insurance if it happens in a club competition and outside that I think I'd rather make a significant donation to the captains charity rather than buy drinks for people at the club I've never met and visitors which would be the norm if whiskey was left on the bar. I'd be more than happy to buy my regular weekend golfing cronies a round but something irks about buying for everyone. Sorry if that goes against the grain but just my feelings on the subject. Doubt it'll happen anyway

maxy33

Visit site
Never had one but i think I'd do the following;

• At my home club in a comp - yeah drinks all round (claimed via insurance later)
  • At my home club socially - Those I played with and those I know personally (and like)
  • Visiting club - only my playing group.
  • Solo play - No one.
  • Society day - everyone in the society and again an insurance claim later.

Not sure Insurance would cover Society days? At least mine doesn't. Has to be a verified comp I think.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Am I in the minority of not having insurance for getting a hole in one?

I thought you only got insurance against bad things happening :unsure:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

If you have golf insurance then the bar bill for a hole in one is usually covered. Pretty standard clause

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I actually can't understand how or why it exists. Insurance for a social convention?? If you can't afford to buy everybody a drink then just don't! I can't get my head around there being insurance for that.