Hitting the ground

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This seems to be my biggest fault at the moment. I had a lesson a couple of weeks ago and one of the things the pro emphasised was the importance of the practice swing to make sure I was set up right and would be delivering the club face correctly.
Problem is on my practice swing I seem to get it right and the club head sweeps over or just grazes the ground, but when I go to hit the ball I hit the ground before the ball a lot. Trying to get used to a new grip and more upright posture (used to slouch over ball), I can't figure out how to stop hitting the ground before the ball. Any ideas or tips?

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No answers i'm afraid but i've been having a similar problem recently I'm thinking of hiring myself out as a contractor and i'm doing a good job of digging trenches recently.

The only way i can see it been resolved for me is a trip to the pro for a lesson and hopefully it's just one or two little things.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm no expert but I would say you could be swaying on your take-away. Once you do this your chest will be out of position and behind the ball at impact causing you to bottom out early and strike behind the ball.

Also. Are you checking your ball position in your stance as you set up?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Getting it right isn't just sweeping the ground. You are supposed to take a blooming great divot. Ideally after you have hit the ball though.

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
Try hitting the ground opp your left toe (assuming you're right handed golfer) when taking a practice swing.
The lowest point in your swing should be on the target side of the ball.
Hope this helps

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Try hitting the ground opp your left toe (assuming you're right handed golfer) when taking a practice swing.
The lowest point in your swing should be on the target side of the ball.
Hope this helps

I'll try this at range later.

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just back from the range, had a bit of a mixed bag. Tried the practice swing in front of my left toe and it worked on and off but I sliced quite a few. Strange session though as there was one heck of a head wind. Couldn't hit my 3 hybrid 150. Usually hit it about 180.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could be a few things but i sometimes hit shots fat when i cast the club and this makes the clubhead over take the hands at impact.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My club are looking for contractors to re turf the practice range in the spot I practice! But I think I have found a solution, what I have found is moving my chest back with the swing as suggested previously was my problem. My solution is to stay 100% planted in my feet and get perfectly balanced, after that I keep looking at the ball, and concentrate on the ball and hitting it perfectly. I have also slowed my swing to make myself more precise, so far it seems to be working, and may be worth trying.