Hitting Out Of The Toe

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of my many bad shots happens when I strike the ball slightly out of the toe of the club.

Is it simply a case of setting up slightly too far away from the ball, or could it be something else in the swing itself?

If it helps, my next most popular bad shot is getting it slightly thin.

Thank you :)

Potor_36

Club Champion
Visit site
One of my many bad shots happens when I strike the ball slightly out of the toe of the club.

Is it simply a case of setting up slightly too far away from the ball, or could it be something else in the swing itself?

If it helps, my next most popular bad shot is getting it slightly thin.

Thank you :)

I'd like to know the answer to this one, that pretty much prefectly describes how my irons go. Interestingly, the thin tends to put in a more regular appearance if I am thinking about how far away from the ball I am / should be :p

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In my experience its caused by an over the top swingpath. Hitting out to in pulls the cubface inwards and will allow the ball to be struck by the toe.

As a drill try placing two ball down, one an inch or two outside the other. Address the inner ball then as you swing down try and hit the outer ball. This will train you to swing more from the inside.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Casting is often the cause as you back away from the shot with the hands and it takes a slightly more out-to-in path as a result. Bobmac has your swing on video doesn't he?, and (I think) pretty much knows all your flaws :)

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dont really know what your doing or how to cure it. I have the opposite prob my bad shot is more from the heel of the club. The cause of mine is I have a slightly in to out swingpath. When I let the ball get a bit to forward in my stance, I will hit it out of the heel of the club. Could your fault be the opposite of this? I just dont know, but it is a thought!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are you taking divots with your medium/short irons Gary?

On everything that isn't thin, yes. :eek:

Casting is often the cause as you back away from the shot with the hands and it takes a slightly more out-to-in path as a result. Bobmac has your swing on video doesn't he?, and (I think) pretty much knows all your flaws :)

There is a swing on the Woodhall video that Bob made, but it wasn't a 'normal' swing plus I wouldn't trust anything from more than a couple of weeks ago (at any given time) as a true reflection of my current swing.

Maybe I'll take another one and get it up here.

Thanks for all the replies so far :)