Hitting out of the heel

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put some face tape on my irons last week after having the lofts and lies adjusted, and I was surprised to find I am hitting everything out of the heel. I'm quite happy with my distances but I guess a centre strike will carry few more yards, other than that the only real problem I can tell is the occasional shank. Tried standing a bit further back at the range but that didn't really make a lot of difference and just felt awkward. Whats likely to be causing it and how can I fix it?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Put some face tape on my irons last week after having the lofts and lies adjusted, and I was surprised to find I am hitting everything out of the heel. I'm quite happy with my distances but I guess a centre strike will carry few more yards, other than that the only real problem I can tell is the occasional shank. Tried standing a bit further back at the range but that didn't really make a lot of difference and just felt awkward. Whats likely to be causing it and how can I fix it?

Is your back swing a little flat?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a tendency for the same. I watched a few Crossfield videos the other night and what he said seemed to make sense and my ball striking has been better so far.

He said about getting the feeling that your left side is being pulled out of the way so it 'feels' like you are coming over the top. My flat'ish swing leads me to attack way from the inside, either introducing El Hosel, hitting out the heel, or indeed hitting a big draw/hook.

Whether that helps you...I dunno...!