Hitting off a tee or the deck for a new beginner

Sully

Visit site
Hi all

I’m a complete beginner to the game. I’ve recently bought some beginner clubs and have been practicing hitting a ball at the range. I’m hoping to get some lessons in the new year .
In the mean time a good friend of mine is showing me the ropes at the range, however he keeps saying to hit irons off the deck and not off the tee.
I do find this much harder to do, but he said to get into the habit of hitting off the deck. Another friend said hit off a tee. What would you do? Thanks

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
Think they are both right-hitting of a tee is much easier but hitting from the deck is much more realistic. Personally I would go for starting of by hitting your short irons of the deck and your longer ones, which are much harder, from a tee. Plus if your can find a grass range that would be good to as mats are oh so forgiving!!

Sully

Visit site
thanks Popeye good to see you agree with his school of thought. Your advice completely echoes his. The two closest ranges to me are both not grass but will look for a grass one too.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hitting off a tee with irons is OK as long as the tee height is not much better than a really good lie on the fairway.

Hitting off the deck is harder for a beginner but when you go to a course this is what you will have to do for any shot other than the first shot on a hole.

It will also make you a much better striker of the ball in the long run.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
At the range I rarely hit irons off the tee as I like the feel that I’m hitting through the ball rather than at it.
I’ll even hit my driver off the mat to help with the strike