Hit possibly my worst ever shots today...

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
I've hit a few howlers, but today's effort at Crail Balcomie takes the biscuit.

Standing on 16th tee, shortish par-3 up the hill; wind slightly against, takes out 7-iron.

Proceeds to hit a missile-like daisy cutter that barely gets 6" off the ground; ball careers into yellow tee marker some 10 yards in front and knocks it clean out of the ground. Meanwhile, ball shoots off at a 90degree left angle straight into the North Sea... didn't even touch land.

Designated OOB, reload and proceed almost to do it again... ball sailed over the tee-marker by about a foot, and got lost in rushes.

Blobbed the hole...unsurprisingly. More annoying as partner had found the front of the green with his tee shot. :eek:

Partner and I managed 63 points though between us (Russian Stableford comp).. finished 10th overall behind a 89.

Cracking day out... but that hole will haunt me forever.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
In Soviet Russia the golf course plays you.

:rofl:

Team partners multiply together their respective stableford points on a hole to give a final total... if my partner scored 3 points and I scored 2 points, our total for the hole is 6 points. If either of us failed to score, that hole is blobbed.

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Team partners multiply together their respective stableford points on a hole to give a final total... if my partner scored 3 points and I scored 2 points, our total for the hole is 6 points. If either of us failed to score, that hole is blobbed.
That sounds awesome.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Standing on 16th tee, shortish par-3 up the hill; wind slightly against, takes out 7-iron.

Proceeds to hit a missile-like daisy cutter that barely gets 6" off the ground; ball careers into yellow tee marker some 10 yards in front and knocks it clean out of the ground. Meanwhile, ball shoots off at a 90degree left angle straight into the North Sea... didn't even touch land.

Designated OOB, reload and proceed almost to do it again... ball sailed over the tee-marker by about a foot, and got lost in rushes.

Blobbed the hole...unsurprisingly. More annoying as partner had found the front of the green with his tee shot. :eek:

Partner and I managed 63 points though between us (Russian Stableford comp).. finished 10th overall behind a 89.

If it's any consolation, I have done the same thing - I hit the yellow tee marker, took it clean out of the ground and my ball carried on into a lake.

Also, on the first tee, hit a driver hard but topped it - the ball powered into the tombstone by the ladies tee (30 yards away) and went back over my head and into the trees (a full 100 yard carry off the stone!). Haha! I still laugh about that one now.

We've all been there, or something equivalent.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thinned a hybrid on our short par 4 7th during the summer. it sent the red marker flying into the distance and the ball ended up about 50yards behind me.

the sound was frightening. I wasn't sure what happened at first. it took a second or two to process what had happened.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

isn't 16th 200 yard SI 1?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not at Balcomie... 16th (SI8) is normally 162yds off the white tees, but they had all been moved forward and it was playing around 135yds.

You're maybe thinking of the 13th which is 200yds+ all uphill and SI2

TBH, the whole course was a little unmemorable, but for a daft 200 yard par 3 that was SI 1 or 2.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

That sounds fun actually.

Garyfromderry - we've got a new one to try.:thup:

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
I thinned a 4 iron from the fairway yesterday (which really hurt my fingers) and the only reason it didn't end up in the lake is because it hit a goose on the lake side and bounced away into the rough. I then shanked my next shot into the lake anyway. :eek:

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thinned a hybrid on our short par 4 7th during the summer. it sent the red marker flying into the distance and the ball ended up about 50yards behind me.

the sound was frightening. I wasn't sure what happened at first. it took a second or two to process what had happened.

IMG_20140726_183402.jpg

Almost lost mi leg below the knee that day. That's Gaz replacing the red tee marker....

:whistle:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If it helps the OP, on Ashdown Forest (old) a partner hit a similar shot, it hit the ladies tee marker flew past everyone at head height and ended up on the other side of the hole running behind. A par three was now playing as a par 4 and a shot already used. Think he made 7 or 8 in the end.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
To be honest, although I was raging inside at what I'd managed to do, I couldn't stop laughing...

Probably the best worst shot I've ever played. Want to take 100 balls up there and try to do it again; reckon I couldn't if I tried.

D

Deleted member 15344

One of the old guys I play with on our tenth hit his tee shot cracked straight into the red marker and flew back over us straight into the halfway hut just missing the soup :D