hip turn on backswing...

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
after my lesson the other night i've been trying to get my hips to stay facing forward as much as possible whilst trying to get the shoulder rotation going.

I'm finding it really difficult with a golf club in my hands!

couple of questions... how much should the hips move during the backswing rotation and does anyone have any drills that has helped them achieve this?

it's funny, without a golf club in my hands, i find it quite easy :(

I have now lost all confidence in the swing i used to have, i don't have a new swing and i'm stuck in an ever increasingly deep rut!

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is a drill that might help...

Place a golf club across your chest 3-6 inches below the top of your shoulder. Hold the club with crossed arms and hands (as if you had beed laid to rest :p ) Now take up your address position (knee flexed and bend at the hip) then pitch/rotate your shoulders both directions in turn trying to keep your head centered over the ball, so as your club would point at the ball (you probably won't get that far round) try keeping you lower half passive while doing this, and you should feel the load on your legs.

HTH

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
^ as above, very effective too. Also had this suggested to me as a warm up by my chriopractor.

on back swing/turn the club end to your left shoulder should be level with the ball or as close to it, or follow through the end to your right shoulder should be level with it.

during warm ups i try to over stretch by about 10% to allow for that energetic shot.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i was doing the drill outlined by Twire above... and it revealed something!

the more forward i leaned, the easier i discovered it is to rotate the shoulders and back independently of the hips. Maybe i've just been too upright in my stance???

anyone who knows how this all works like to clarify this?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
A good address position would be....

With a club in hand, knees slightly flexed bend at the hips, and with your arms hanging verticaly down you should be able to fit a clenched fist in between the butt of the club and your groin (about 4-6 inches). With the heel of the club on the ground the toe of the club will be slightly raised up, enough to get a £1 coin under.