Hillside v Birkdale

D

Deleted member 15344

Hillside vs Birkdale isn’t really a contest imo

Birkdale is the step up in class - it’s in amongst the best courses in the UK - Birkdale is prob imo the best course in England

Only played Hillside once and enjoyed , back 9 was superb but it’s imo in that group just below the top bunch - West Lancs , S&A etc

It’s the same with Wallasey and Hoylake - Wallasey only played it once but really enjoyed again but Hoylake whilst it maybe flat it’s still a world class links with a lot more subtlety about it - would love to go back and play it again after it’s revamp.

Reactions: Val

The Dog.

Visit site
Birkdale is the step up in class - it’s in amongst the best courses in the UK - Birkdale is prob imo the best course in England.

I think that is debatable and possibly my view too. I certainly think it or Royal St Georges are the best links course in England. Sunningdale for me though pips them both. On a warm summer day with the course in perfect condition, apart from a few notable exceptions like Cypress Point, there isn't anywhere I would rather play golf. It is utterly wonderful.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think that is debatable and possibly my view too. I certainly think it or Royal St Georges are the best links course in England. Sunningdale for me though pips them both. On a warm summer day with the course in perfect condition, apart from a few notable exceptions like Cypress Point, there isn't anywhere I would rather play golf. It is utterly wonderful.

Sunningdale is just wonderful - best inland course in the UK maybe Europe , it’s one of those places that you just smile playing every single one of the 36 holes.

We have had two great forum meets there and the days have been perfect. Hopefully we will have another meet at some point there

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Birkdale is £245 Hillside £195 Formby £175.
They are all different but worth every penny

Ghats what one of the lads has told me the courses cost.
They have said they preferred Hillside, Formby then Birkdale.

Looks like the cocnditions were perfect.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hillside is very good but its not on the same page as Royal Birkdale
yep played both in the spring .
hillside stunning but it’s not quite as good as birkdale, in fact I would go as far to say Birkdale might be the nicest course I have ever played

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just to add a curve ball to this conversation, played siloth the other day and that was fantastic!

if this course was moved and dumped in Southport it would definitely give birkdale and Hillside a run for its money

such a shame it’s stuck in the middle of nowhere really

Reactions: Zig
D

Deleted member 3432

Just to add a curve ball to this conversation, played siloth the other day and that was fantastic!

if this course was moved and dumped in Southport it would definitely give birkdale and Hillside a run for its money

such a shame it’s stuck in the middle of nowhere really

Err, 20 miles from my house is not exactly nowhere ;)

Just imagine how high up the rankings we would be if we weren't marked down for location ??

Seriously though, you have hit the nail on the head in that the Southport links are a group of quality courses where we are out on a limb.

Could really do with a bridge straight across the Solway to Southerness, now that would be a testing day of golf.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Off to Silloth next week, can’t wait as only played it once and forgotten chunks of it

I’d put Birkdale well above Hillside. Love being at Hillside and some incredible looking holes but Birkdale is ridiculous, always think 12 and 13 are the best back-to-back holes on any Open course.

Once asked six seniors (Lane, Baker etc) what their favourite Open course was and they all said Birkdale. All in front of you and no surprises etc

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Not played Hillside or Birkdale yet but hoping to later this year. I've not played loads of the top top courses like many others on this forum and most of my friends but I'm starting to make more of an effort to going forward.

I've played Formby though and for me currently that's the best course I've played, closely followed by Hollinwell and then Wallasey 3rd which I played the other day. For me personally I wouldn't have said West Lancs is better than Wallasey as others have said, it's a very very nice course and a tough test when the wind is blowing but I think Wallsey is better personally.

But then Formby is in a different league to both of them put together, for me Formby is absolutely quality and I don't think I'll play a better track than that until I play somewhere like a Birkdale or Sunningdale or one of the top courses in Scotland.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not played Hillside or Birkdale yet but hoping to later this year. I've not played loads of the top top courses like many others on this forum and most of my friends but I'm starting to make more of an effort to going forward.

I've played Formby though and for me currently that's the best course I've played, closely followed by Hollinwell and then Wallasey 3rd which I played the other day. For me personally I wouldn't have said West Lancs is better than Wallasey as others have said, it's a very very nice course and a tough test when the wind is blowing but I think Wallsey is better personally.

But then Formby is in a different league to both of them put together, for me Formby is absolutely quality and I don't think I'll play a better track than that until I play somewhere like a Birkdale or Sunningdale or one of the top courses in Scotland.

A good pal of mine has just hand painted the names of winners of the board comps at Hollinwell. Ave bent his ear for not getting me a couple of tee times there in the price.
One thing the lads have said re the courses they played. All the courses had greens that were lightning fast and were excellent.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Birkdale is comfortably above hillside. Everyone raves about the back 9 at hillside and it is great but the 12th 15th and 16th are pretty average imo.

Having playing Hoylake today and yesterday, it’s also great. Very flat and bit bland like Lytham but still brilliant (and brutal with the rough). The new par 3 is so good

I’ve not play Formby or S&A yet but I’d go

Birkdale
Lytham
Hoylake
Hillside
West Lancs

D

Deleted member 3432

I was just curious, HIllside is 220 a round and Birkdale is 275. So it is well worth just paying the extra 55 and playing Birkdale. I actually just nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price to play Hillside.

Eye watering prices to play the majority of the top 100 tracks.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was just curious, HIllside is 220 a round and Birkdale is 275. So it is well worth just paying the extra 55 and playing Birkdale. I actually just nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price to play Hillside.

I played in the off season and it was a lot cheaper plus got some soup and butties :)

Also helped they gave my missus courtesy of the course as lady captain so worked out a bit of a bargain ( of sorts )

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Greg Norman maybe did Hillside the best favour ever by saying that the back 9 was one of the best he'd played, or a massive dis-service.

For those willing to make their own mind up rather than just quote his words, the great holes start from the 5th. I havent played it since the tweaks, but the pics look great.

Hillside is not far off Birkdale for me, although Birkdale is better, but would say that Hillside is more "playable" for us mere amateurs.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Eye watering prices to play the majority of the top 100 tracks.
Way, way too expensive for me!
I was fortunate when working in Edinburgh to be able to play Miurfield for about a quarter of those rates - and on a member's guest rate that wasn't disclosed (but repaid at 'my place' as is the tradition/expected!)!
Played Birkdale a couple of times and it really is a challenge - especially judging how the breeze, that can be felt on the fairway will (or won't!) affect the shot into the mound and tree protected greens! That's certainly the challenge on the, otherwise 'pleasant starter' 1st!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
We played them both in October and got the ‘shoulder’ rate saving a fair amount.
For me, yes 100% worth the difference. Remembering shots like speith on 13 and Harrington on 17 are what makes it

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We played them both in October and got the ‘shoulder’ rate saving a fair amount.
For me, yes 100% worth the difference. Remembering shots like speith on 13 and Harrington on 17 are what makes it

You only appreciate how good these shots are when you play, or in Speiths case how wide that tee shot was