Hillside v Birkdale

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What Tash knows about both courses could be written on the back of a box of matches. I did not even know they were side by side. However some of the lads at our place are over in Southport this week. Yesterday they played Birkdale. They enjoyed it. Today they played Hilside and have raved about it on social media. Don’t know what the cost difference is and whether that is a Major factor. But is Hillside that good and are they so different.
Thoughts please.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played them both many years ago and preferred Hillside. But I did score better and it was slightly cheaper I think

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Both class courses. Possibly Birkdale edges it because of Open but Hillside for me with an exceptional back 9. S and A which hosted a Ryder Cup I think is well worth a visit along with West Lancs, Formby and a bit further down the pecking order Hesketh if in the area.

The Dog.

Visit site
They are not in the same ballpark in my opinion. Birkdale is a world class links course and ranks alongside Royal County Down and Royal St Georges. Hillside is a lovely course with a brilliant back 9. Very good but some way off Birkdale, yet undoubtedly the equal of Formby, S&A or Lytham. I also prefer West Lancs to Hillside I think although I’d need a more recent round at the latter to definitively decide.

Am playing Birkdale and Hoylake in 2 weeks over 2 days by coincidence. ?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always make me wonder when people say Birkdale is better than Hillside. I love HIllside and would really like to go back again one day, but never played Birkdale. Is Birkdale really that good that you can without doubt say it is a better course 100%?

Reactions: Val

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Always make me wonder when people say Birkdale is better than Hillside. I love HIllside and would really like to go back again one day, but never played Birkdale. Is Birkdale really that good that you can without doubt say it is a better course 100%?

Absolutely, 100%

I'd go as far to say its debatable if Hillside is even no 2 in the North West as for me both Royal Lytham and Royal Liverpool are better, even throwing Formby in opens a huge debate on here amongst the NW boys

The Dog.

Visit site

Yes, it is significantly better in my view. There are several holes on the back 9 at Hillside that would get in a combined 18 of h the two but apart from that, everything at Birkdale is a notch above the rest of the courses in the area.

Hoylake is nice but I find it a little too flat. The best links courses have a bit more elevation. In my view anyway.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Birkdale for me everyday.
The fairways are like billiard tables.
Hillside has had a few changes to the first hole not to my liking.
New bunkers that are far to penal for a opening hole.
That’s the main difference imo the opening holes at Hillside are nothing special.
But you always hear about the back nine.
I think Formby is as good as Hillside

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Haven't played either for a while, and not Hillside since the changes. Birkdale starts with a great hole and doesn't let up... it's better in my view. But so what? I could spend the rest of my days on that coast and play up and down it most days and die a very happy man.

Save your pennies and play both. :)

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Haven't played either for a while, and not Hillside since the changes. Birkdale starts with a great hole and doesn't let up... it's better in my view. But so what? I could spend the rest of my days on that coast and play up and down it most days and die a very happy man.

Save your pennies and play both. :)

Or as it was mentioned to me not so long ago, starts with a real tough Par 4 and then gets harder. It truly is a fantastic course.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Firstly thanks for the replies.
Secondly thanks for the replies without falling out ?
That said, the lads are playing one more course today then coming home, am not sure which. Our green keeper who plays off scratch is there. In fact his dad is a member at Hillside. Anyway am hoping he can pick up one or two tips For our place.
That said. One of the lads who has gone won both days shooting 32 points.
When there back al get some feedback on the what’s and why’s of there opinions On the courses.

The Dog.

Visit site
But, it is about opinions, it's personal, especially with Links courses. Go on another day, different weather and wind direction, and different experience. That's why I love links golf. (and having grown up in land!!)

I agree with this. I have played Birkdale 3 times and it was always in absolutely immaculate condition and in favourable weather. This makes a difference. As does the fact that it chucked it down when I played Formby. :) And West Lancs was with great mates, in super nick, bright sunshine and I played really well. All helps form an opinion.

For what it is worth, here is my order of preference for the courses in that area is as follows:

1. Birkdale
2. West Lancs
3. Hillside
4. Formby
5. S&A

Have only been a spectator at Lytham and Hoylake and have never played Wallasey. I guess it is fair to say that Hoylake may well be number 2 on that list in a couple of weeks after I have played it but maybe not?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree with this. I have played Birkdale 3 times and it was always in absolutely immaculate condition and in favourable weather. This makes a difference. As does the fact that it chucked it down when I played Formby. :) And West Lancs was with great mates, in super nick, bright sunshine and I played really well. All helps form an opinion.

For what it is worth, here is my order of preference for the courses in that area is as follows:

1. Birkdale
2. West Lancs
3. Hillside
4. Formby

Have only been a spectator at Lytham and Hoylake and have never played Wallasey. I guess it is fair to say that Hoylake may well be number 2 on that list in a couple of weeks after I have played it but maybe not?

1. Royal Birkdale
2. Royal Lytham
3. Royal Liverpool
4 West Lancs/Hillside/Formby (hard to split)
7 Wallasey

I havent played S&A, kicking myself as I had it as a reciprocal whilst at Wallasey for about £30.

Royal Liverpool gets a bit of a kicking for being quite flat but it's a beautiful course. Royal Lytham gets a bit of a kicking for its many many bunkers and being surrounded by houses but for me its one of the most challenging courses out there, a brilliant course.