Highest golf courses in Britain

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm a bit confused about the highest courses in England, Wales and Scotland.

In England is it Kington or Alston Moor?
In Scotland is it Braemar or Leadhills?
In Wales it is officially West Monmouthshire, near Ebbw Vale. Or is it?

And which is the highest tee?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Edit again. Leadhills (9 hole) is the highest at 1500 feet. Braemare claims to be the highest 18 hole course at 1250 feet!

D

Deleted member 21258

the Church Stretton Golf Club, situated near the Cardingmill Valley, on slopes of Stanyeld Hill and Bodbury Hill. The clubhouse is at approximately 230 metres (750 ft) above sea level and the hilly links course rises up to around 375m (1,230 ft). It is the oldest 18-hole golf course in Shropshire, opened in 1898, and one of the highest in the country.

Kington is England’s highest 18-holes golf course rising to 1284 feet above sea-level.

AdamC28

Visit site
Certainly not the highest but I've played Lickey Hills many times at just under 1000ft and you can really notice the difference in carry distances!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's strange how playing the Lickey Hills always gave me the impression that all the holes bar 2 were uphill. A bit like an impossible staircase.
I think Dudley GC must be the highest in the West Midlands because it's on top of Turner's Hill.

A few years ago I visited Kington and they were worried their status of the highest 18 hole course in England was being taken away by Alston Moor being extended from 9 to 18, but I can't confirm this. I played it when it was 9 hole.
I also played Leadhills and Braemar. So it seems Leadhills is the highest 9 while Braemar the highest 18 in Scotland.
Never even knew about W. Mons but assumed Welshpool was probably the highest in Wales. I don't think it can be much lower because you feel like a mountain goat up there.

All a bit of a grey area. Someone needs to visit them all with GPS.

AntShadow

Visit site
It's strange how playing the Lickey Hills always gave me the impression that all the holes bar 2 were uphill. A bit like an impossible staircase.
I think Dudley GC must be the highest in the West Midlands because it's on top of Turner's Hill.

A few years ago I visited Kington and they were worried their status of the highest 18 hole course in England was being taken away by Alston Moor being extended from 9 to 18, but I can't confirm this. I played it when it was 9 hole.
I also played Leadhills and Braemar. So it seems Leadhills is the highest 9 while Braemar the highest 18 in Scotland.
Never even knew about W. Mons but assumed Welshpool was probably the highest in Wales. I don't think it can be much lower because you feel like a mountain goat up there.

All a bit of a grey area. Someone needs to visit them all with GPS.

Lickey Hills always makes me feel that way, the downhill par 3 18th is the only downhiller i can think of!

Dudley is great for views, the 5th tee shot is a great example of that. Shame they have let the greens go there or at least it seemed that way when i played there recently.

mister v

Visit site
Played Kington earlier in the year in what was a force 10 gale..... great track with some stunning views, all the bunkers have been filled in because the sand kept blowing out, sheep everywhere and you can regularly watch RAF jets flying beneath you through the valleys

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Here in Phoenix most of our courses are flat but we are about 1000 feet above sea level. Go 90 minutes north and it is 6000 plus feet. Get another 15% carry!

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ive played West Monmouthshire plenty of times. It is indeed the highest in the Uk. They even out in a new tee box at the highest pint a few years back to maintain their status. It’s a quirky course, weaving along the side of the mountain before quickly ascending to the top. It’s incredibly cheap and great value for money if you are in the area.
It doesn’t pretend to be anything other than a golf course on top of a mountain but I always have a great time playing it.
The highlight is the 16th, a 240 yard par 3 which plays straight to the bottom of the mountain. It’s awesome trying to guess the club.