high lofted hybrids

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/mizuno-jpx-fli-hi-hybrid-review/

These are the JPX fli hi hybrids. Iron like face that behaves like a hybrid. fan dabby :thup:

Got an 18 degree 'Adams XTDti' set to 18.5 and also got a 22 degree 'Macgregor DX' just in the process of looking for a 25/26/27 degree to go in between the 'DX' and the 6i but as you said they're readily available for women but can't find a half decent blokes hybrid for love nor money, weird innit...

Seen a couple of 'Cleveland Hi-bore' 5i's (27*) but don't know if they'll have the same effect...

They would do just fine. Similar in design to the Mizuno jpx.

Here is the video of mark Crossfield reviewing the latest offering from Cleveland.

His most notable quote here is.

"I could walk up and down the range here and improve loads of peoples games in terms of consistency of strike, just by putting these in their hands without even looking at their swing''.

I would tend to believe him.

Macho male ego gets the in way. That is why you don't find too many high lofted hybrids on ebay for men. I watched a guy at a Taylor made fitting the other day and he said his longest iron is a 5 iron. That's fair enough but when I watched him hit it, it was clear to me he couldn't launch the thing anywhere near high enough. There was a 25degree m2 hybrid head sitting in the fitting case with his name all over it. The fitter didn't even try to push it. I didn't want to butt in so left them to it.

[video=youtube;FKGs9RPX0wA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKGs9RPX0wA&t=15s[/video]

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have Ping G30 hybrids 4, 5 and 6 in one set and Callaway Razr X HL hybrids 4, 5 and 6 in the other. I struggle to be consistent with the long irons.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a 26* Nike covert that I am just about getting the hang of. It is a 6 iron replacement for me. I seem to be getting my swing for it right now and it is finally going how i want it, trajectory, distance etc.

I don't find hybrids easy to hit all the time but on a good day they definitely make life easier. I just wish I had more good days.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Them fli hi jpx clubs are great. Its the 2012 one I have. Super design. I think the newer ones are more hybrid like with a bulge and roll face. The older ones have an iron like face. Superb. want to sell me your 6?

Ha ha! No chance! Got my 6 off eBay just before Christmas for around £15. It is a club fitters model with red writing on the sole.

Got my 5 off GreginFife on here, brand new for about £30 a few years ago

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have a G25 3 hybrid but seriously considering a replacement for the 4 iron and torn between another hybrid and a 7 wood. Think I hit my woods more consistently but want to give the new G400 hybrid a hit first

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread but I could use a bit of clarification from them in the know !...

My 'King Cobra 3100i/h' irons are a half inch longer from factory (7i=37" not 36.5) but I also notice that they're a half a degree uprite (7i=62.5 degree, not 62) so my thinking is knock a half inch off the shaft as my specs are 'standard lie and length' and that should 'just about' bring the lie into line...

Is there or does anybody know of any reason why this wouldn't be ok ?...

Any views on the subject would be most appreciated... :thup:

ps, sorry 'Gary' fer knickin yer thread...

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just bought a Tom Wishon 27 degree hybrid off E bay, I have only tried it out at the range but once you get over the look of the loft on the face it is very easy to hit and seems to be a similar distance to my 5 iron, its just a shame it's pink :thup:

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
If anyone is struggling with a hybrid I tell them to play it a couple of balls forward of centre. Then just simply hit the ball with a level swing. Dont hit down but firmly slap the club into the back of the ball level. The speed you swing these clubs and the design is enough to send the ball screaming in the sky. There really is nowt to it.
totally agree gary. i got a JPX fli-hi. same shafts as my JPX850 irons. same loft as my five. really inspires confidence. goes a long way with minimal effort and is arrow straight.

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If anyone is struggling with a hybrid I tell them to play it a couple of balls forward of centre. Then just simply hit the ball with a level swing. Dont hit down but firmly slap the club into the back of the ball level. The speed you swing these clubs and the design is enough to send the ball screaming in the sky. There really is nowt to it.

Hmm maybe this is where i have been going wrong. Hybrids tend to be shank city whenever I have tried them in the past.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My hybrid is all over the bloody place. When it goes well it really is beautiful but when it doesn't it goes BAD. That's the difference for me - a well hit hybrid is better than a well hit 5 iron - however, a badly hit 5 iron might be a bit thin or thick but still somewhere near the middle, a badly hit hybrid is 45° right into a tree or a 90° hook. As a result I tend to use my hybrid only when I'm in light rough and need the extra head weight to sweep through it. On a nice fairway lie I would just go with the 5 iron as it's safer.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My hybrid is all over the bloody place. When it goes well it really is beautiful but when it doesn't it goes BAD. That's the difference for me - a well hit hybrid is better than a well hit 5 iron - however, a badly hit 5 iron might be a bit thin or thick but still somewhere near the middle, a badly hit hybrid is 45° right into a tree or a 90° hook. As a result I tend to use my hybrid only when I'm in light rough and need the extra head weight to sweep through it. On a nice fairway lie I would just go with the 5 iron as it's safer.

That's not really a fair comparison. You are putting your 5 iron against your 4 hybrid.

It also seems like you need to work on your hybrid technique. Distance wise a hybrid should be able to beat an iron for consistency as it tends to be more forgiving.

Something I have been guilty of in the past is trying to knock the spots off the ball with my hybrid. Similar to when we get our hands on a driver. I've learnt to swing the same tempo as an iron. Don't kill it and I can get much better results.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;enRA9dVo_zc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enRA9dVo_zc&t=15s[/video]

Good video from golf monthly here.

Looking at those numbers id argue that the 6 iron isn't even a good club for this average speed player. The roll out is huge. Trying to judge that or even stop it on a green would be a nightmare.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's not really a fair comparison. You are putting your 5 iron against your 4 hybrid.

It also seems like you need to work on your hybrid technique. Distance wise a hybrid should be able to beat an iron for consistency as it tends to be more forgiving.

Something I have been guilty of in the past is trying to knock the spots off the ball with my hybrid. Similar to when we get our hands on a driver. I've learnt to swing the same tempo as an iron. Don't kill it and I can get much better results.

I had my light bulb moment on Friday regarding my hybrids. I am very guilty of lashing at the ball, trying to smash the life out of it. I don't do that with my irons but something just snaps when I have a hybrid in my hands. Anyway on Friday I decided to hit a 1/2 - 3/4 swing and hit it as slowly as I possibly could. How slow that was in reality I don't know but in my head it was torture. It was like riding a bike with your hands gripping the brakes. The difference however was huge. The ball went straight, sometimes even a slight draw but basically straight. It also went high and landed softly, just how they are meant to go. It also went the distance it was supposed to but never did previously because I never hit it cleanly. My 26° hybrid became a club of joy instead one of torture.

I played again on Saturday and managed to repeat the feat. Any bad shot was when the idiot in me took over and speeded up the swing. It then thinned, skidded and veered right. When I hit slowly it was wonderful.

Blimey it is hard to do at this stage, I soooooo want to hit it hard, but to anyone not following Gary's advice, stick with it. They really do make life easier.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had my light bulb moment on Friday regarding my hybrids. I am very guilty of lashing at the ball, trying to smash the life out of it. I don't do that with my irons but something just snaps when I have a hybrid in my hands. Anyway on Friday I decided to hit a 1/2 - 3/4 swing and hit it as slowly as I possibly could. How slow that was in reality I don't know but in my head it was torture. It was like riding a bike with your hands gripping the brakes. The difference however was huge. The ball went straight, sometimes even a slight draw but basically straight. It also went high and landed softly, just how they are meant to go. It also went the distance it was supposed to but never did previously because I never hit it cleanly. My 26° hybrid became a club of joy instead one of torture.

I played again on Saturday and managed to repeat the feat. Any bad shot was when the idiot in me took over and speeded up the swing. It then thinned, skidded and veered right. When I hit slowly it was wonderful.

Blimey it is hard to do at this stage, I soooooo want to hit it hard, but to anyone not following Gary's advice, stick with it. They really do make life easier.
Agreed, that's the only way I can hit mine as well. I think because of the weight balance of them, and the fact that they have an easy launch, you really have to focus on letting the club do most of the work.

That said, I managed to hit a 100mph top with mine yesterday which sailed along like a bullet, then hit a natural 'ramp' in the ground which sent it even further, it ended up going about 190 yards and never more than 4 feet off the ground! It was the Sally to end all Sallies. :rofl:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How does a high lofted club still manage to skim the surface like that? Not easy to do. It must be a skill we both have :thup:
Well mine's 22° so I don't know if that counts as high loft. But either way, I must have hit it thin but nicely in the middle in terms of toe-to-heel, for it to fly like that. It finished only about 15 yards short of the green, and I chipped on and holed the putt for an extremely jammy par. :D

Pancho Villa

Hacker
Visit site
I have a callaway x hot 6 hybrid.it has 28 degrees of loft and is the most versatile club in my bag.Good off the tee on par 3's and pretty good out of the rough too.I need something with my hellish iron play!!