High HC (22) 3 Club Challenge

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So we have our 3 club challenge this weekend (3 club total...not 3 + putter) and I am thinking of having the following in the bag....

- 4 Hybrid (been hitting this very nicely recently)
- 8I (probably my most consistent club - especially off the tee on our par 3's)
- PW/SW (for the shorter shots)

Thinking of using my 8 (or 4 at a stretch) on the greens.

Am I mad?
Should I really be looking to including my putter in the bag? Have struggled with the putter the last couple of rounds.

Really looking forward to this as it should be more of a laugh / relaxed than "proper" comps.

It will also be my (14 yr old / HC 28) son's first comp. I've advised him to go with the 3 clubs that he feels most comfortable with, but to obviously space them out a bit. He's also thinking along the lines of putting out with something other than a putter (putting is probably one of his weaker areas of the game, so having a putter in hand isn't going to pull back any scores for him).

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You have a 20' putt....
What would you rather have in your hand?
A putter you're not totally happy with or an iron so you have to blade it to get it going..?
I'd never go into a reduced club round without a putter....
I think you'd drop more shots on the greens than you would getting there with your 4h/8iron combo...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I know these comps are only a bit of fun but why only 3 clubs?

I would make it 4
Then you could have a long club, a medium club, a short club and a putter.
Now that would be fun.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Would never dream of dropping the putter. I would also take a hybrid and 8/9 iron. Wouldn't feel the need for a PW/SW if I was carrying a 8/9 iron.

Haven recently played a one club competition (team had a putter to share in addition, but putter could only be used on the green - not even the fringe) the idea of having 2 seems generous now. BTW I took a 7 iron for my one.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like Bob, 3 clubs + putter would be more fun to me

Either way I'd definitely have a putter
Reckon I'd lose almost a shot a hole without it

4h and a 8i sounds good, unless you have any steep bunkers etc( depends how adept you are manipulating the 8i)

Anyway, hope you and your son (more importantly as it's his first comp) enjoy it :thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I won this comp the other year with a 4w, 8i & putter.

I’d never play without my putter.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys - much appreciated.
Right now I am still intending of going with SW and drop the putter, but am starting to sway towards taking a putter.

I've never tried manipulating my 8i...I haven't needed, to because I've always had the full set available in the bag.
My thinking is that a putter is only a putter, whereas the others can be more versatile and putting with the 4H may work.
At the end of the day, as Doh said, it's only a bit of fun, so no harm done.

Really looking forward to playing alongside my son in a comp instead of our casual rounds.
I'm hoping that given the nature of the comp, he won't feel as much pressure as if he were playing a "proper" comp and at least he'll have his dad with him.
I played my first comp earlier in the year and that was daunting as I didn't know my PP's or what to expect.

Interestingly enough, I did a google of the 3 club dilemma and it appears to be split down the middle in terms of putter / no putter.
Anyway, will post an update on how it goes tomorrow.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have won ours 3 times over the years, tried putting with a 3 wood but wasn't a success so I always take the putter, 8 iron is much more useful than a p/w plus it's fun to try and manipulate some shots.

Good luck and hope you and your son enjoy the round.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I went with 4H, 8I and SW in the end.
Was disappointed with only managing 16pts - my tee to green was terrible.
Had I of taken a putter, I maybe would have scored an extra 2-4 points.

My son only managed 11pts and he also didn't take a putter.
Despite the score, he very much enjoyed the comp which was helped by an excellent long 4th shot on the par5 17th which ended up 5 inches from the hole.
Needless to say he holed with his 5th with was a net eagle.

We both enjoyed it for what it was and would play the format again, maybe I'll have the putter in the bag next time!
The only disappointment was that the guy we were drawn to play with didn't turn up.

As for Kellfire's comment, I totally agree...sometimes I even struggle to hit a "normal" 8I, let alone a wedge-like shot with it! LOL

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
he very much enjoyed the comp which was helped by an excellent long 4th shot on the par5 17th which ended up 5 inches from the hole.
Needless to say he holed with his 5th with was a net eagle.

We both enjoyed it for what it was and would play the format again

Cool, that's that's what it's all about at the end of the day, that net eagle will live long in his memory I'm sure :thup:

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We only found out his HC (36) on the morning of the comp.
I fear that before too long he is going to beat me as I will be giving him 14 shots.

It's a pity that he only has time to play a couple of times a month, due to very worthwhile interests outside of golf.
If only he could get a round in every week, he'd improve very quickly as he certainly has the ability....many people have said that he has a fantastic swing.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We only found out his HC (36) on the morning of the comp.
I fear that before too long he is going to beat me as I will be giving him 14 shots.

It's a pity that he only has time to play a couple of times a month, due to very worthwhile interests outside of golf.
If only he could get a round in every week, he'd improve very quickly as he certainly has the ability....many people have said that he has a fantastic swing.

Glad you and your son enjoyed the competition, enjoy the times you have together