HEVER 2K

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
Hever Castle have just released new fees for this coming season, and for a New member it will be £2k.
Although this is a year its hardly playable for 3/4 months.
Has the golfing world gone Bonkers?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
No knowledge of the course or area, but depends on what it's competing with.

I wonder how many members it has or is it all green fees anyway. If its daft, it won't sell many.

Bit like some holiday accommodation I've used previously. They've hiked their prices massively this year. A quick look at their availability reveals they are virtually empty all summer.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No knowledge of the course or area, but depends on what it's competing with.

I wonder how many members it has or is it all green fees anyway. If its daft, it won't sell many.

Bit like some holiday accommodation I've used previously. They've hiked their prices massively this year. A quick look at their availability reveals they are virtually empty all summer.

I’m glad they are empty.

I’ve seen similar and the outrageous inflated prices on UK holidays is etwatering.

I’d much rather give my cash to Johnny Foreigner than to fill the coffers of some uk holiday home landlords.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hever Castle have just released new fees for this coming season, and for a New member it will be £2k.
You are so right. We have recently recruited a couple of new members from Hever who are happy to travel circa 30 miles to play our near all year round course rather than lose several months of the year due to the state of their course.

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
You are so right. We have recently recruited a couple of new members from Hever who are happy to travel circa 30 miles to play our near all year round course rather than lose several months of the year due to the state of their course.
If you don't mind me asking, where is your club?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Assume it is on clay soil and gets very wet and some holes are unplayable or very, very wet. Looking at the website its only £40 to play as a green fee. I don't know what other courses are down there but is does seem high but the website says it's a championship course so are members paying for the prestige of hosting things like the Europro tour?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Wowza. I'm in Tunbridge Wells. Not a member anywhere, but considered it every now and then if finances would allow. Hever is one that springs to mind although I've still not ventured to playing it. Looking around briefly... (full fee, not age related discounts and 7 day) Knole is £2081 for a full member, The Nevill is £1700 + £850 "Development Levy", Sweetwoods £1400 (although that is for 21/22, so I'd expect it to increase and heard whispers of nearing £2k).

If they're full (enough) then maybe it's just a way of reducing the numbers? it is 27 holes too, but I'd never considered it "level" with Knole? That would be where my money was thrown, if I could...

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
There is an economic theory called the “doctrine of diminishing marginal utility”

Which was a thing when working out how much to charge for the use of a telephone way back when.

If it was free, then people would be on the phone all day and overload capacity, so charges were levied to reduce queueing to a manageable level.

What we are seeing here is supply and demand in action, demand increases, the supply of quality courses is finite, so they set the price at a level that they can get away with, because they can. …….. at the moment

The fact that the average member could be priced out, doesn’t seem to register, even on a course that has winter issues.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Hever is a nice enough course in the summer months, but as the OP says, 3 to 4 months of the year, it's underwater, and sometimes they keep it open when it's just unplayable. Couldn't ever justify joining it when I'd hate playing it for a 1/4 of the year
Westerham is likely going up to £1,900 but drains pretty well in winter and rightly or wrongly, no temporary greens. We get a fixed 10% discount once there for 10 years too.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst the headline figure says "ouch", perhaps they have already factored in the price rises in everything a club needs and has raised their subs accordingly. I was told yesterday that the chemicals alone used on and around the course have increase by 30% already.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Given the economics reference, had to share this.......my economics professor described "falling marginal utility" as follows,

You love Mars Bars!!
Eat a Mars bar, you say yummy yummy!
The second is yummy, but less so
The third, well you know
Eventually, you eat one and throw up!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
One thing to think about in relation to Subs is how the finances of the club operate.

I know a "club" that inflates it's annual subs, to keep numbers down as their revenue per player targets are best served by green fees/hotel guests. They also don't need the subs to cover fixed costs.

If they can fill the sheet with visitors paying £40, they are happy!

gopher99

Visit site
Unfortunately quite a few courses in Kent are clay based so almost unplayable for 3/4 months a year, when I was at Nizels it was an 8 month golf membership for a 12 month fee?. But that did include the gym and classes which I used more than the golf, I am looking at joining Kings Hill but for the 2k they charge and my personal circumstances it’s not going to be worth it.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nizels is over £2k. Good value if you want the health club and then add the golf on, not good value as a golf only proposition.

Hever’s price is consistent with the area. Which is unfortunate for me, given I live there.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The running costs would have impacted this hugely, fuel to run the plant and energy for the club and facilities would have been factored in. £1600 in the south east near the m25 gets you a mediocre track that I would put below hever so it doesn’t surprise me as it’s still recognised as a members course. Most others around the 1600 mark are still offering green fee p&p to substitute costs

D

Deleted member 18121

I was a member at hever for 5 years... That ended in 2017 when I moved down to just outside Hastings.

The theory with hever was always to make it slightly more expensive than usual, to encourage less foot traffic and therefore keep the conditions better.

For my time there I loved their amen corner run of holes, but on the whole I always found the course a bit bland and just a bit of a slog... Even being a reasonably long hitter.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was a member at hever for 5 years... That ended in 2017 when I moved down to just outside Hastings.

The theory with hever was always to make it slightly more expensive than usual, to encourage less foot traffic and therefore keep the conditions better.

For my time there I loved their amen corner run of holes, but on the whole I always found the course a bit bland and just a bit of a slog... Even being a reasonably long hitter.

Was that theory what you saw in practice? My experience of Hever, as a non-member admittedly, is that it's a busy course and one where on weekdays, there are often societies clogging it up. Seems like they make a fair bit of cash from visitors to me.