Help with new driver.

astra

Visit site
New to this game with a high handicap,i have decided to replace my driver i got as part of a set with a new one.
After a visit to my local club he gave me to try a callaway ft5 draw with a 13 loft with a Fujikura flex-r2 shaft.
This is a x demo club in A one condition and after using on the range did perform well.being new to this sport is this club the right loft or will a 10.5 perform better.
i recently tried a tayormade burner and was advised a 10.5 loft.
Is this a case of take what i have or is it really what i need,i would hate to think a 10.5 in the same club would gain me distance.

T

thecraw

Dont worry about loft mate, far too many people seem to think that a 10.5 will gain them distance when in fact it could cost them distance. If the 13 degree worked then go for it.

However, I notice you dont say hom many brands you tried before the Callaway. Try loads and go with what you like and feels right. Getting the ball airborne at your stage should be a priority. Its a big investment so dont be afraid to try many more before parting with your cash. Callaway are very good drivers, you shouldnt have any problem there. Draw bias may be a good thing if you have a left to right shot.

Good luck and keep us posted with your purchase/decision.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Try before you buy. Don't just accept one make or model no matter how good the offer is. The thing with loft on a driver especially for a higher handicapper is that it will actually get the ball in the air better (no surprise there!) but it may also carry further which means you will get more distance.

I also think you will find it easier to control as there is less side spin imparted with a higher loft (I think thats the case but I'm sure I'll be put in my place).

Anyway bottom line is you need more loft thatn 10.5 degrees

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed, do not worry about the loft. I am a high handicapper and wasted a fortune on various 10.5 degree drivers. Now have a 13 degree loft on my driver and have never hit the ball better or further off the tee.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Astra, welcome to the Forum.

You don't say how you are getting on with your other clubs. Are the rest of the woods (if you use them) OK? Are the irons OK?

If the only thing letting your game down is the driver then by all means try lots of different ones and find one that suits. If however your other woods and/or long irons don't produce the desired results, don't blame the driver. The driver will get more people, including pros, into more trouble than any other club in the bag (with the possible exception of a lob wedge for us mere mortals!).

As you are new to the game I feel that before falling to the charms of the salesman, sorry a local club pro (I assume you are not a member there), you should concentrate on playing with the clubs that are working for you, consistance of swing and ball striking, etc. Get some lessons from a pro you trust first before chopping and changing clubs - unless of course the clubs are absolute c3ap. It will probably work out cheaper in the long run and have more positive impact on your golf.

Use a 3 or 5 wood off the tee. What you may lose in distance you will gain in accuracy. 200 yds on to the shortish stuff is better than 240 yds into the woods.

IrishMac

Visit site
I have a Calloway Big Bertha driver and Calloway Big Bertha 3 wood, 18 degrees and I can almost hit the 3 wood as far as my driver. Maybe that says more about my use of the driver not being great but don't worry about the degree loft, just go with what's comfortable. My Calloway 3 wood is my favourite club in the bag.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have a Calloway Big Bertha driver and Calloway Big Bertha 3 wood, 18 degrees and I can almost hit the 3 wood as far as my driver. Maybe that says more about my use of the driver not being great but don't worry about the degree loft, just go with what's comfortable. My Calloway 3 wood is my favourite club in the bag.
Irishmac, is this on purpose or is your driver shaft too stiff?

Mr_Top_Shot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i was advised, as above, that loft is not of great importance. I was however informed that you should take note of the torque of the club. Best advice would be to go and try a great range of clubs and see which one you get on with best.

astra

Visit site
well guys just got back,new driver works well.driving straight and over 200 yards,however did feel some shots did go rather high.
thanks for all the replies

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
so are you usin the callaway ft-5 draw bias? I am going to look at new drivers tommorow cause my one doesnt work haha. I defo think al be going with draw bias. Might have a look at the ft-i too but all depends what works best for me in the end.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I don't favour drivers with a particular bias.

Reason being is that as your game develops and you want to shape the ball, having such a driver will make it more difficult.

If you feel you need a driver with a bias at this stage get one where you can adjust the ball flight with weights and then it will not require changing as your game develops.

I have just started to learn how to shape the ball and it is rewarding when it comes off as planned once in a while.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
yeah i was going to look at the new mizuno one is it the mx600 or mp600? Looks smart and has the weight in the back doesnt it. But i really do slice the ball so much i think with out draw bias there would be no hope. Dont know why i slice it with a driver though cause i hit all my irons consistantly straight.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you mean MP-600? tasty club. If there is a draw version, could be good. As for why you slice it with a driver.....don't feel bad......it happens to the best.

I have a draw bias FT-3, it's terrific, but I wouldn't get another draw bias club.....tends to turn my over-draws into hooks.

Dave

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't favour drivers with a particular bias.
Reason being is that as your game develops and you want to shape the ball, having such a driver will make it more difficult.

Certainly (partly) agree. I'm only seeing my draw bias as a temporary thing. It is possible to fade, sure, but not as readily "on tap" as I'd like at times.
For a player with a bad slice, I'd recommend one. If (and it's a big if) you can rid yourself of the slice (without the help of the driver, i.e. no more slicey 3 woods or whatever) then change to another soon.

Dave

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Do you mean MP-600? tasty club. If there is a draw version, could be good. As for why you slice it with a driver.....don't feel bad......it happens to the best.

I have a draw bias FT-3, it's terrific, but I wouldn't get another draw bias club.....tends to turn my over-draws into hooks.

Dave
mp600 is a very good driver, Its the boyo Im testing for the Golf monthly feature. Its a club for thse who can lready hit a considerably straight ball, the swing weights fitted in the driver are only there to add a little more turn to your shot (I have still got mine set for neutral as I already hit a long ball with a little draw) So really its a tweak rather than game improvement.
Using offset clubs is no cure to the fundamentals of anyones swing, learn to swing efficiently and correctly and itll not matter what sort of club you have, you will be able to make use of it.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
so do you think it would be better to stick with my current driver for now and just work really hard on getting rid of the slice? (just as i convinced the mrs to loosen the grip on the credit card too)

I must admit when i do get the odd shot right(and it is the odd 1 in 20) it doesnt half rip but it seems to frustrate me and really pull me off my game. i was under the impression a draw bias would make things easier and allow me to concentrate alot more on my whole round game.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you are wildly slicing it you must have wither a massive out to in swing or else you are standing too close to the ball at address.
A few things to try on the range,
1. When taking your grip, grip the club slightly more to the left so you can see a little more of your right hand knuckles.
2. Stand an inch or two further away from the ball, you shouldnt be reaching for it but if its too close to you then you are forcing yourself into a slicers swing having to come inwards from an otherwise fine plane. Try not to lean into your ankles, you should be fairly balanced without biasing towards either end of your feet.
3. Get a mental picture of yourself throwing your arms at the ball just before impact, snatching your arms away at this moment imparts a hell of a lot of sidespin so it will slice like a fecker if you do. Giving yourself the feeling that you are actually trying to hook the ball on the range will hone in yur sense of what the correct line of attack actually is.
These are only my own thoughts on the slice, im sure someone will describe other ways, but as I said, give it a go on the range.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will try these things tommorow, I should of probably mentioned that i am a right handed golfer and play with my right hand at the top of the club. I dunno if this has anythin to do with it but i doubt it as i can hit all my irons as sweet as most low handicappers.