Help with my swing/lack of power

HappyHybrids

Visit site
Since I had a lesson that corrected a grip problem I had, and getting some new (to me) clubs in the past few weeks, I can now actually hit the ball consistently (fresh air swipes were still regular for me beforehand). My driving especially has become very consistent with my new Nike SQ, but distance continues to be the bane of my golf shots.

I managed to take a few slow-mo shots up the range today however the lighting and options for places to video from were poor, so these were the best I could do. 3 shots from three angles.

One thing that I think is obvious, to my limited knowledge, is that I'm not transferring weight to my front foot sufficiently - I'm still not pushing off from my right foot.

What else am I doing wrong? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

HappyHybrids

Visit site
How far do you currently hit a 7 iron (Carry)
Today I was only hitting it 120 yards. I jarred my elbow a few days ago hitting my 7I on a soft uphill lie, club dug in a bit. Thought it was fine today but on the first drive it flared again and I gave up after 40 balls. Between that and the howling wind, it was tough to get any distance.

Usually though, I'll hit a good 7I about 140-150. My good drives are about 180-200.

HappyHybrids

Visit site
Impressive video clips there mate. Bob will give you some solid advice.
Thanks bud, it was tough to get a good angle to do it from where I could get my whole swing and connection with the ball in. In the end, I had to settle for a mixture of all 3 to cover everything.

Although it was 3 different drives, all 3 were fairly consistent and straight. Surprisingly so, as I have a tendency to slice occasionally.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your backswing is fairly good but as you suggest you have bad weight transfer which is due to a lack of rotation and extension in your down swing. This is causing you to pull up your left elbow producing a classic chicken wing, see how your trail foot is still flat on the floor through the down swing.

You need to drive your right knee into your left knee as you come into impact, keep rotating your hips and let your right heel come off the ground. Your belt buckle should point left of the target at the end of your swing. Also try to let your arms fully extend in the follow through so that your elbows stay closer together.

Have you had any lessons? It may be worth some help from a PGA pro.

HappyHybrids

Visit site
Your backswing is fairly good but as you suggest you have bad weight transfer which is due to a lack of rotation and extension in your down swing. This is causing you to pull up your left elbow producing a classic chicken wing, see how your trail foot is still flat on the floor through the down swing.

You need to drive your right knee into your left knee as you come into impact, keep rotating your hips and let your right heel come off the ground. Your belt buckle should point left of the target at the end of your swing. Also try to let your arms fully extend in the follow through so that your elbows stay closer together.

Have you had any lessons? It may be worth some help from a PGA pro.
Thanks, great info and confirmed what I thought myself.

I've only had one 30 minute lesson just before Xmas. I have a golf tuition day (on the range plus a 9 holer with the pro) as a present that I was hoping to book for next week, but the jarred elbow means I need to rest it a few weeks. Hopefully that'll polish things up for me when I do get to use it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I sure Bob will give you the advice you need as he's a teaching pro. In the meantime I'd suggest looking at some of the pro swings on utube as you'd easily compare your video with theirs and pick up the main differences, but I'd certainly look at the bent left arm on the backswing in comparison to better golfers who all have virtually straight left arms at the top of the backswing

Good luck!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks, great info and confirmed what I thought myself.

I've only had one 30 minute lesson just before Xmas. I have a golf tuition day (on the range plus a 9 holer with the pro) as a present that I was hoping to book for next week, but the jarred elbow means I need to rest it a few weeks. Hopefully that'll polish things up for me when I do get to use it.
Get some anti-imflammatory gel (Voltarol etc) into the elbow and rest it and then get back out asap. The 9 hole playing lesson with the pro will be a real eye opener to you as he'll point out loads of stuff on the course you are not doing properly and hopefully give you some real pointers for the short game and on and around the greens which will help the scoring. It's a slow progress so listen to your body, keep practicing hard and keep going

sunshine

Visit site
With a bad grip, you can't achieve maximum distance while playing golf. You can make perfection in your swing by keeping a light grip on the club and then fully extend your arms after impact. Adjust your stance which is an important part of your swing. If you’re right-handed, keep your right foot ahead of your left. Choose the best golf club for you as per the shot as well as your personal style. Keep practising and focus on improving your techniques. I used to practise golf and try to improve my style and techniques.
MOH coaching centre Thiruvalla

I know this is spam, but what is the highlighted bit supposed to mean?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You've identified the problem yourself, the lack of weight transfer to your front foot.
If you watch any good player, the vast majority of them will end up in a balanced position with 99% of their weight on the front foot and 1% on the toe of their back foot.

Photo0r6u7.jpg

Start by turning out your left foot 20-30 degrees as above at address and then practice getting up on your right toe at the end of the swing.
That will not only help with your weight transfer but will also prevent some back pain you may experience if you don't transfer your weight.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
You've identified the problem yourself, the lack of weight transfer to your front foot.
If you watch any good player, the vast majority of them will end up in a balanced position with 99% of their weight on the front foot and 1% on the toe of their back foot.

View attachment 26422

Start by turning out your left foot 20-30 degrees as above at address and then practice getting up on your right toe at the end of the swing.
That will not only help with your weight transfer but will also prevent some back pain you may experience if you don't transfer your weight.

I know an old topic, but do you have any drills for this Bob.
Much appreciated.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Imagine someone standing behind you, looking down the line of the shot.
Make sure at the end of the swing, the person behind you can see all the spikes on your right shoe (right hander)

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Imagine someone standing behind you, looking down the line of the shot.
Make sure at the end of the swing, the person behind you can see all the spikes on your right shoe (right hander)

Thanks Bob, the lack of power on my drives is killing me ?