HELP What a situation I'm in... what should I do?

adamk15

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, heres the background. I recently started work at a quad bike centre nearby, I have worked 3 days so far in fact. Me and 2 other boys share the job of cleaning and organising the quads and helping with the junior quads. Today, when I was miles away golfing, the 2 other boys along with our boss decided upon what days we would work. I had texted one of the boys and told him I could not work one weekend as I was going to a music festival (which I have already bought my ticket for)

Heres the problem, the 2 of them had also planned to go to the same festival. So, without me there, I was put down to work that weekend. What do I do? As they have both refused to work that weekend.

Here is my options as I see them.

1) I quit the job
2) I say that I have bought my ticket and simply cannot work that weekend
3) I talk to the two other boys and try and make them feel guilty enough to swap shifts.
4) One of you have an ingenious brain wave and solve my problem for me.

What you guys think?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I agree, if your boss wont easily give you the time off, then forego the festival. Buying tickets doesnt automatically give you the right to time off. You should have had the request in earlier and in writing. There is always next year for music, CVs dont tend to be as forgiving.

adamk15

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't that be showing my boss and workmates that I'm a pushover who can change my plans (and lose money from buying a ticket) to work whenever they want me to?

I am 16, this was supposed to be a casual holiday job so that I can earn some money, not lose it by buying tickets for events I'm not able to tend :mad:

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
so three of you work at the same place, all of you want the same weekend off, one of you has to work.

presumably they too have tickets, so down to basics, one of them can lose out but not you.

reality check, you want the job, you work the hours, being 16 doesn't bring any favours.

so sell the ticket on ebay and hope to minimise the loss.
let the boss know how disappointed you are - <u>don't</u> whine! - do the job, and do it well - your boss will remember (if he's any good)

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Option 6?

Ask your boss if he would like to go to the festival and offer him your ticket as you can't now go due to work commitment :)

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Without wanting to sound old or coming across the wrong way.

You've learnt several very valuable lessons then.

1. Never completely trust your colleagues. Particularly when you already knew that they also wanted the same time off, and you weren't at work to 'defend' yourself.

2. It won't be the last time that you'll lose money cancelling planned things because of work.

3. Always book time off in plenty of time. Every company will have a time off request procedure. Even if it's only verbal in the worst case. But written is always better.

4. Don't expect an employer to 'suffer' because of lack of staffing.

5. 'School boy' error (pardon the phrase), of texting a colleague to look after your interests in your absence. Especially another youngster. There is only one person that you should have contacted. The boss.

6. Your employer now knows that you all want the time off. Any 'sickies' won't go down well. You might not care about this job, but the references won't be too endearing.

Sorry to make it look so bleak. But your bed's already been made.

I used to have several staff that always wanted the same weekends off, the same week's holiday's etc. As the boss, you just had to be as fair as possible, but without letting the business suffer.

Your only real option is to appeal to the bosses better nature and explain that you were 'screwed over'. But in all honesty he might not care. But then again, he might.

I know that you might think that us 'old farts' are being 'unfair'. But sorry mate. As the other posters have already said. That's life in the real world.

I hope that you make the right decision. After-all we can only offer advice. Only you know what you think is the right thing to do.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome.

adamk15

Assistant Pro
Visit site
EDIT: OH AND BTW I FORGOT TO MENTION. BEFORE I JOINED THE COMPANY ONE OF THE OTHER 2 BOYS WAS SCHEDULED TO WORK THAT WEEKEND. I HAVE SUSPICIONS THAT HE PLANNED TO DO THIS AS HE WAS VERY INSTRUMENTAL IN HELPING ME ATTAIN THE POSITION.

Sorry didnt know the caps were on. Anyway, I will go into work tomorrow and explain the whole situation to my boss. I can only hope for the best.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
EDIT: OH AND BTW I FORGOT TO MENTION. BEFORE I JOINED THE COMPANY ONE OF THE OTHER 2 BOYS WAS SCHEDULED TO WORK THAT WEEKEND. I HAVE SUSPICIONS THAT HE PLANNED TO DO THIS AS HE WAS VERY INSTRUMENTAL IN HELPING ME ATTAIN THE POSITION.

Sorry didnt know the caps were on. Anyway, I will go into work tomorrow and explain the whole situation to my boss. I can only hope for the best.

I'm afraid that new information doesn't change anything.

Work sucks sometimes! ;)

merlin18

Medal Winner
Visit site
well i had a summer job last yr at a karting track and before that my summer plans were loads of golf tournaments and other events however although these all were mostly weekend events i got told i would be working all week and so in the end played in only 2 golf tournaments and didnt do any of the other stuff but in the end it was worth it because at the end of it i had a wallet full of money :cool: so just think if you do sell the ticket and work on that day you'll get more money in the end and maybe the boss may give you something in return for your work commitment ;).

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Here's a thought. How easy is it to get another job around you? Not everywhere is jobless, especially when it comes to Summer jobs. Have a quick scout around. If you can find another job then jack this one in, go to the festival, work out a plan to drop your "mates" in it from a great height and everyone's happy..

adamk15

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Right thanks for all the help everyone.

Here is my plan:

1) Go in tomorrow and assess the situation.
2) Talk with the boss bout the possibility of me not working that weekend

If he says no...

3) The festival is in August, between now and then I look for a new job, one tht I can start after the festival.
4) Plan how I can then ensure my "friends" are lumped in the sticky situation instead.

There we go, I'll keep you posted.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it's only a temp Summer job then quit and go to the festival. You're only young once so enjoy it, you'll have plenty of time to worry about crap like this in later life.
Have a blast. :cool: :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd go see the boss. Tell him your predicament and see what he says. If he says he can't do anything simply hand in your notice so that you get paid money owing to you.... and don't write the job down on your next CV.

Make a mental note to put it down as a LESSON LEARNED and try to be more responsible next time :D <wink>

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
stuff all this nonsense... it's a part time job for a 16yr old!!!

just to be devils advocate - in 10 years time, you'll look back and ask youself the question "what the hell was i thinking about not going to that music festival - all those chicks, the underage booze sesh with my mates...!??" Unless you see washing quad bikes as a career move, go get another job and enjoy the music festival!

You're only young once, live it like you mean it

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
My plan for you.

Jack your job in and go to the festival. Get smashed on cider, have fun with the ladies, enjoy the youthful music scene. Come home, sleep off hangover, get a job asap.

There's plenty of casual work out there.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You say ' Me & 2 friends' work at the same quad bike centre.......

Some friends !! .........I'd politely tell your Boss that they knew you 'couldnt work that weekend, and have stitched you up.
See if it changes his opinion at all, and if not, go look for another job.

Music/Beer & Ladeeeez sounds mucho fun.....can I come ?

Oh, and get yourself some better friends !!