Help required! Short survey on slow play

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
slow play can be a bugger! I didn't play as much (competition) golf as I would like to this summer but not once did I have a pain stakingly long round or have much complaint of slow play. my only complaint was very rarely finding my home course empty. there was always people playing, from sunrise to sunset. ive been there for both. (not in the same round ;) )

For me, its really not that much of an issue!

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Done.

When played correctly, even with looking for lost balls and round can be timely. Even on the H4H day with the course loaded and a few holes doubled up, it still only took four and half hours to complete.

mchacker

Head Pro
Visit site
Done, not waving groups through when looking for a lost ball is something I've suffered at the hands of many times this year, and everyone says the same 2 things. "we've got 5mins to look first" or "they will just get stuck in front of us"

talksalot81

Club Champion
Visit site
No one ever seems to mention the speed of walking. A round of golf is about 4 miles, between someone walking at 2.5mph and 3.5mph (neither being particularly fast or slow), there is more than 30 mins. By the time you add distance when looking balls, traversing to the next tee etc., that could easily be 45 minutes. A slow 4 and a half hour round looks a lot better if you remover 45 minutes from it!

S

Snelly

Done. A good survey.

The main issue is not being ready to hit the ball when it is your turn. If you are ready when it is your go then marking cards, GPS, pre-shot routine etc are all naturally secondary. Just symptoms of the first malaise. The latter all have to be done in advance of the former.

The other major factor is the Tour pros on TV who are copied slavishly, especially by youngsters and those new to the game. Enforce the Tour Pros to get round in under 3 hours as a 2 ball and slow play would decline at club level very rapidly.

My only other observation is that the issue of slow play is now so embedded in golf now that there are a generation of players who simply do not understand how succinctly the game can be played and think that suggestions to speed up are crazy and that people clamouring for an improvement to the situation are out of touch with modern golf. This is a major issue. Anyone from this group completing the survey would be saying that no, slow play is not a problem. And they would be very, very wrong.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Done. A good survey.

The main issue is not being ready to hit the ball when it is your turn. If you are ready when it is your go then marking cards, GPS, pre-shot routine etc are all naturally secondary. Just symptoms of the first malaise. The latter all have to be done in advance of the former.

The other major factor is the Tour pros on TV who are copied slavishly, especially by youngsters and those new to the game. Enforce the Tour Pros to get round in under 3 hours as a 2 ball and slow play would decline at club level very rapidly.

My only other observation is that the issue of slow play is now so embedded in golf now that there are a generation of players who simply do not understand how succinctly the game can be played and think that suggestions to speed up are crazy and that people clamouring for an improvement to the situation are out of touch with modern golf. This is a major issue. Anyone from this group completing the survey would be saying that no, slow play is not a problem. And they would be very, very wrong.

all this is true but, as illustrated by an earlier post to this thread, the perception and reality of 'slow play' are tied up in a more complex web. For most of the players at West Hill the 4 1/2 round didn't seem to be 'slow' - the reality is that it's not a course that requires 4 1/2 hours to play, even as a 4 ball and not hurrying. A 'club 4 ball' caught up in it would be moaning back at the bar about incredibly slow play!
which then brings in the issue of mixed usage; 2 balls and 4 balls (not all clubs have 2 tee starts and they don't solve the issue for a full course) - but more importantly there are some users who go as a group to have a leisurely day out on the golf course. Some clubs simply don't want them on their course, some welcome them with open arms. The recent financials have pushed more and more clubs into pursuing income outwith memberships, and this can create new issues including 'slow play'. Resort courses positively cater for this type of golfer, especially resort resort courses, and anyone expecting to be able to play at a decent pace is going to feel let down - anyone expecting to play at a leisurely pace can also feel let down when marshalls drive up and insist they pick up and move on 'cos they are not keeping up with a piece of paper on pace of play even if they are being held up on evey other shot!

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
surprised stopping at the halfway house not on there..........

Providing everyone stops it doesn't become an issue...You have to have a local rule. Stop or politely request to be let through but yes its a potential cause if not adhered too.