Hello; I have major putting woes!

GetInTheHole

Visit site
Hi there guys,

I've been playing quite seriously (i.e. joined the local municipal club and bought/inherited my first set of clubs) in the past month.

My driving is constantly improving; my iron play is satisfactory, at the moment and my short game is changing due to a helluva lot of practice!

However, I've found that if I get on a green, and have more than 6 feet to the pin, I often go as far or even further past the hole then I was originally. Is this just a measure of my inexperience? Or are there any specific drills I can do on the putting green? Time isn't an issue at the moment, as I'm still at Uni and I have plenty of time to improve!

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Dom

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it is a matter of pace rather than direction, I find that standing behind the line of your ball and imagining rolling the ball with your hand to the hole - actually swing your arm as if you were bowling underarm - helps my brain to judge distance.

Take this feeling of 'rolling' the ball to the hole and put your swing on the putt with a smooth tempo. Tends to work for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Practice, practice and then practice some more especially on distance and break. Don't worry about trying to hole them all but work on getting the ball as close as you can (think of a dustbin lid size circle around the hole).

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting is by far my worst golf skill.

But having recently changed my putting style, its coming on leaps and bounds. I use to really push the club head and balls would go flying.

What I now do it have my putter near enough touching my belt buckle/hands near enough touching my groin and turning through the put more. It may be unconventional, but I dont really care.. it works for me

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
homer has pointed you in the right direction.....
when practise putting, place a circle of tee pegs around the hole,all within around 2-3 ft(dustbin lid), award yourself points for getting your ball into the circle,and try and always beat your last score.
if its just a the pace you struggle with, think of short backswing/hands through to the target when putting, remember you are not trying to whack it into the hole, the object is for the ball to run,then DROP in.
go to the karl morris website, there are a few tips on there.
also, relaxed forearms, this is essential for good putting. think about it, if your arms are tense, chances are you WILL be over agressive with your putt.
i like to look at the hole and do a few practice swings to FEEL the putt,i know that will souns crazy, but think of this...when you fling a stone/ball to someone, how do you know at what pace to fling it too them?:)....its called feel! your brain is already programmed to just,well, know!
Try it with putting!

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
when practising on the putting green, try putting while looking at the hole. it may be difficult to find a decent contact at first but when you master it it will help you to get a feel for the pace of the greens

I agree.

Then, when I'm out on the course I rarely make a practise swing with the putter.

But I do stare at the hole whilst I force myself to relax over the ball.

And then make sure I have a short ( -er ) backswing, to ensure a positive shot.

I try to leave my concious brain out of the decision making process about pace, and just rely on my body knowing what it wants to do all by itself.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A good way to learn pace is to pick three distnces and block your practice from those distance. I.e. hit 10 putts from 10 feet then, 10 from 20 feet and then 10 from 30 feet. When you start to have some success with this make the drill random, putt 1 from 30, 1 from 10, etc: You don't have to do 10ft, 20ft and 30ft you can make these distances whatever suits your needs.