Heathland golf

evemccc

Visit site
When is the best time of year to play golf on heathland courses?

I can think of a few pros and cons of different times but soliciting opinions..

Advantages:
From May - June you get the lush greenery of the grass and trees / flowers etc
In August you get the heather out in bloom
In Sept and early Oct you get some autumnal colours

Presumably the turf is firm for much of the year?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The heathland courses I have played in Surrey and Hants all have one thing in common part sand are part peat soils depending on which part of the course you are on.

Never really noticed any major difference in any of them at different times of the year.

JSims

Visit site
Jan - Dec! Heathland golf is the best form of golf.

I'd go July - Sept though, as the heather is usually in bloom, or beginning to bloom.
This!
Though links golf competes very well and at any time of the year, as the difficulty of the course auto-adjusts!

hilsesp

Visit site
When is the best time of year to play golf on heathland courses?

I can think of a few pros and cons of different times but soliciting opinions..

Advantages:
From May - June you get the lush greenery of the grass and trees / flowers etc
In August you get the heather out in bloom
In Sept and early Oct you get some autumnal colours

Presumably the turf is firm for much of the year?
Having been a member of the same course for 37 years, the term "Heath and Heather" was not mentioned when I joined there. It has become a cult thing with our more recent committee and now (throughout August particularly) the Heather LOOKS beautiful - it is EVIL. Balls ? Buy a dozen, because every time you play you can be assured you will come back minus at least 4, whereas I never used to lose 4 balls a year. The advice to take a lofted club is great- IF you can find the ball in the first place. The second hazard are the bee`s, humming and buzzing and just waiting for a socked leg to give it a hefty sting because we are in THEIR territory, - and they have a job to do.... to feed the Queen. The ROUGH is another factor, and I know it`s only because we`ve had so much rain that at the roots the grass is so thick and lush. I used to like August to get some run on the ball but now I think - book a holiday - put your clubs away and get some sun - and play in September when the Heathers at least changed colour and lost some of its flower - of if you continue to play, buy some yellow balls - they are at least more visible against the lovely purple.