Haye V Bellew

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
They both fancy themselves as self promoters. Be interested to learn what Bellew will earn compared to last 2 fights. Guess for Haye he reminds those in division he can put bums on seats.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This fight certainly has my interest. I don't particularly like either fighters personality but both are students of the game. Both are erudite as pundits.

I think the important thing about this fight is both can punch and both have been stopped, so a stoppage is a distinct possibility. Bellew has only suffered losses at light heavyweight (where he was boiling himself down by at least 1.5 stone) to Cleverley on points and KO to Stevenson but has been put over numerous times. Haye was KO'd by Carl Thompson (at Cruiserweight when he was a natural Cruiserweight) and lost on points to Wlad.

I think Haye hits harder and is quicker but Bellew will trouble him if he connects - he certainly hits harder than Carl Thompson did. Haye has been largely inactive for 3/4 years and prior to that for me hadn't set the world alight at heavyweight despite winning a title. His most notable heavyweight win is over John Ruiz. However he was phenomenal as Cruiserweight. Bellew has looked so much better at Cruiserweight ko-ing his last 2 who were world class cruiserweights and also avenging one of his losses prior to that a few fights earlier.

Therefore I think the odds are shorter than being made out. I'm backing Bellew rounds 1 and 2 and Haye 3 and 4. For me it has the makings of a must see fight - Hearn and the fighters have done their job well.

The Evertonian

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This fight certainly has my interest. I don't particularly like either fighters personality but both are students of the game. Both are erudite as pundits.

I think the important thing about this fight is both can punch and both have been stopped, so a stoppage is a distinct possibility. Bellew has only suffered losses at light heavyweight (where he was boiling himself down by at least 1.5 stone) to Cleverley on points and KO to Stevenson but has been put over numerous times. Haye was KO'd by Carl Thompson (at Cruiserweight when he was a natural Cruiserweight) and lost on points to Wlad.

I think Haye hits harder and is quicker but Bellew will trouble him if he connects - he certainly hits harder than Carl Thompson did. Haye has been largely inactive for 3/4 years and prior to that for me hadn't set the world alight at heavyweight despite winning a title. His most notable heavyweight win is over John Ruiz. However he was phenomenal as Cruiserweight. Bellew has looked so much better at Cruiserweight ko-ing his last 2 who were world class cruiserweights and also avenging one of his losses prior to that a few fights earlier.

Therefore I think the odds are shorter than being made out. I'm backing Bellew rounds 1 and 2 and Haye 3 and 4. For me it has the makings of a must see fight - Hearn and the fighters have done their job well.
Thats a decent preview 👍🏻🥊

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So Flores is a world class Cruiserweight?

Oh dear god!!!!

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So Flores is a world class Cruiserweight?

Oh dear god!!!!

Yep, that's a fair enough comment. I agree Flores was not world class. I was referring to Makubu being world class and in my haste (the fact I've had a few pints has nothing to do with it) mistakenly lumped it together with his most recent ko win. However, I stand by the rest of my post.

I think Bellew has to have an element of needle for his opponent to get himself going. We've seen it many times before notably with Cleverly and Stevenson - albeit with differing results. Similarly Haye adopts these tactics as we've seen against Chisora and Wlad - again with differing results. It sells fights.

I suppose an argument could be made about should the fight have been made. However it's not uncommon for a world title holder to fight a top ranked (unbelievably Haye is in top 6 in 3 of the 4 bodies) opponent in the division above. It's all about money at the end of the day. I do think it'll be worth a watch though.

U

User62651

Just saw the weigh-in. Haye looking absolutely cut and cool. Bellew trying a bit hard to look relaxed and carrying a bit of mid waist timber IMHO.

Haye's had his time, took on the best and was given a boxing lesson by an ageing Klitschko, excuses about his toe etc etc, then retired, now he's back with a bigger gob than ever, fairly tiresome stuff and so staged.
Dare say he'll beat this guy Bellew and I hope it's a good fight for the punters but cant help thinking he's yesterdays news. Yawn.

Mr A

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have to agree with everything richy has said.

This fight is a mismatch, Haye will end it whenever he sees fit, he is simply a level above Bellew. And that is why there has been so much trash talk, it helps sell an awful fight to casual fans who love a 'rivalry'. I won't be paying for it, the undercard isn't that good either. Looking forward to Thurman/Garcia though!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
After watching Bellew against Brudov I think Hayes will play with him for a while letting him know he could take him at his will and then eventually send him into next week!