Have a look at my grip.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
After my last lesson with my pro on Tuesday this week, I'm currently moving from a strong right hand grip to something a little more neutral.

According to my pro, my strong right hand grip was causing some excess shape on my shots. As an example, I was getting quite a lot of right to left shape on a 7 iron down wind which apparently isn't good?

During the lesson, the grip felt completely alien and awkward to hold, but the shape on the shots was massively reduced, so I know what my pro is telling me is correct reference my right hand.

Anywho. I digress.

As I say, I'm currently looking at a more neutral right hand.

20160505_213452_zps79zhena0.jpg

Any comments/thoughts welcome.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
My thought are your left hand looks about right maybe a fraction weak, but your right had is too weak for a taught neutral grip, but again in my view there is not a right or wrong as it is all about your strike. If your old grip was giving you too much right to left then it was too strong for your swing, equally if the new grip is providing the desired ball flight then its your grip.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your right hand position looks identical to mine and I'm led to believe it's slightly 'weak' in position? I'm trying to get the right thumb down the centre of the shaft, not down its left side. Think Imurg may have mentioned something similar on a recent thread...?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That right hand looks weak to me.

Anyway, isn't it the path in relation to the face that causes the shape.

Maybe a less into our path is needed.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
After my last lesson with my pro on Tuesday this week, I'm currently moving from a strong right hand grip to something a little more neutral.

According to my pro, my strong right hand grip was causing some excess shape on my shots. As an example, I was getting quite a lot of right to left shape on a 7 iron down wind which apparently isn't good?

During the lesson, the grip felt completely alien and awkward to hold, but the shape on the shots was massively reduced, so I know what my pro is telling me is correct reference my right hand.

Anywho. I digress.

As I say, I'm currently looking at a more neutral right hand.

20160505_213452_zps79zhena0.jpg

Any comments/thoughts welcome.

Has the shape changed or just decreased?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Has the shape changed or just decreased?

From the lesson I had Al, it has noticeably decreased.

As a guide. During the lesson I was starting the ball 20 yards right of the target and drawing it back.

By the end of the lesson, the shape (Right to left) had pretty much dropped to a very minimal draw. 3-5 yards at the very most, often with no apparent shape at all.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
From the lesson I had Al, it has noticeably decreased.

As a guide. During the lesson I was starting the ball 20 yards right of the target and drawing it back.

By the end of the lesson, the shape (Right to left) had pretty much dropped to a very minimal draw. 3-5 yards at the very most, often with no apparent shape at all.

That`s a huge win in my book! All that's left to do is visualize the shot with less shape and adjust your aim accordingly. Big sexy high push draw is cool looking but provided the new shot does not start to turn over right on you without you wanting it to your golden!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
That`s a huge win in my book! All that's left to do is visualize the shot with less shape and adjust your aim accordingly. Big sexy high push draw is cool looking but provided the new shot does not start to turn over right on you without you wanting it to your golden!

This is the goal Al, it's trusting it at the minute with it feeling 'new'.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is the goal Al, it's trusting it at the minute with it feeling 'new'.

For sure... I have lived with a lots of right to left for some time now... worse still the starts straight and goes left. Hope it all keep going in this direction. I am guessing the new right hand grip is just holding the club face off a little.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
For sure... I have lived with a lots of right to left for some time now... worse still the starts straight and goes left. Hope it all keep going in this direction. I am guessing the new right hand grip is just holding the club face off a little.

From what I understand from listening to my pro, having my right hand a little (...Lot) weaker will stop the right hand rolling through the strike.

To be fair it's stopped the nasty snapper I've been fighting. I drove the ball the best I have in a good while last weekend.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I understand from listening to my pro, having my right hand a little (...Lot) weaker will stop the right hand rolling through the strike.

To be fair it's stopped the nasty snapper I've been fighting. I drove the ball the best I have in a good while last weekend.

If you get stuck on the left side of the fairway you at least know you can make your grip a little stronger and sling it out right to left to get back in play.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Strange. To hit a big slinging hook your face must be open. Surely a strong grip closing down the face would not help this.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Strange. To hit a big slinging hook your face must be open. Surely a strong grip closing down the face would not help this.

I can only surmise with my previous grip that the face was considerably closed to the path at impact.

This would suggest the club face is open to target as I was starting the ball to the right, but considerably closed to the path which must have been more right.

Either way I can still hit a boomer. I just move the ball back :)