Hard Decision

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Join the new club and when you do find out about the roll up groups so you'll get integrated and have regular playing partners. With plenty of competitions and the course in better condition I think this new course will inspire you to go out and get even better. If they have some decent practice facilities as well even better. Nothing to stop you going back to play some social rounds with your mates

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
They do have rakes, the excuse is they get stolen as there is a school nearby one of the courses. Not really sure how true this is as I don't see why kids would steal lots of rakes bar the very odd one which I could understand

D

Deleted member 1147

I left a very nice club, great members etc, for a very good course. I then found out that the membership is also very good.
I pay more, but in my opinion, get better value for money !

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't know what your current club is like but played KB a few times. quite a nice course on the whole, but did find it more Heathland than links tbh. The 9 holer is quite nice (from the original course). down side is getting to the tee that overlooks Western and seeing no one on there;)

Good bunch of guys there, we have a home and away match with them

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I've decided to go ahead and join so hopefully we should be a full member soon and I can look forward to the season at the new course

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know what your current club is like but played KB a few times. quite a nice course on the whole, but did find it more Heathland than links tbh. The 9 holer is quite nice (from the original course). down side is getting to the tee that overlooks Western and seeing no one on there

Good bunch of guys there, we have a home and away match with them
Yeah it's a good club very well respected in the area, some of it is pure links and some of it is 'upland links' but it plays more or less the same as links I've played just about every links course in the area and it plays very similar although the greens can be a bit more receptive but I find that with a lot of the links courses with money to burn, they are so well cared for and watered nowadays that it's actually rare for them to get hard and bouncy like you would see in old open footage or on council owned links

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used to think course quality was all that mattered, but I have to say, my opinion has changed over the years. I'm at a course where at best it's just OK and over the winter it is so bad it's just plain funny. I stay as the company is excellent and I have learnt over the years that there is more to golf than golf.

I still need my fix from time to time and play away often. I am happy with the balance

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've decided to go ahead and join so hopefully we should be a full member soon and I can look forward to the season at the new course

Good choice, I did that almost 18 months ago now, left a club where I'd been a member for almost 5 yrs and had quite a few mates and playing partners to join my current club. Best decision I ever made, I've got new friends and playing partners and meet up with my old mates from time to time too.

Good luck with the membership application!

D

Deleted member 21258

I have always put layout of course above condition of course, would rather play a course that I enjoying playing than condition. Also would much rather play at a course that is friendly, dislike the 'run ins' with other members that can happen at private member courses.:eek:

If you are joining a links course, hope you enjoy playing them week in week out, don't think it would be my cuppa tbh, most of the time you are battling the elements which doesn't help if you are trying to adjust swings/thoughts etc. But they are fun.

Hope the new club goes well and best of luck.:thup:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I have always put layout of course above condition of course, would rather play a course that I enjoying playing than condition. Also would much rather play at a course that is friendly, dislike the 'run ins' with other members that can happen at private member courses.:eek:

If you are joining a links course, hope you enjoy playing them week in week out, don't think it would be my cuppa tbh, most of the time you are battling the elements which doesn't help if you are trying to adjust swings/thoughts etc. But they are fun.

Hope the new club goes well and best of luck.:thup:
I mainly play links courses and heathland though did grow up playing golf on moorland courses which are around where I stay. I do enjoy all types of courses though have to say I prefer playing down the coast just find the courses much better, I play a lot of scratch competitions aswell and find the competition much better down there aswell I have to say

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a similar choice to make a few years ago but jumped ship and haven’t looked back since. You soon make new mates and you are bound to be welcomed into team golf playing off scratch so you’re in with a group straight away. Go for it!