Hard baked sand, and not much of it. help

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hello with normal fluffy sand i can handle and get out most times but today playing i was in the bunker alot and the bunkers didnt have alot of sand in them and also was baked hard.

It was hard for me to really get out of them well,

Any tips?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I would think that your 62 degree would have a low bounce so why not try to flop it up as if its on a tight lie, forget its in a bunker! Just a thought.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Low bounce wedge, works for me :thup:

I agree Martin, when I find myself in these situations or very close to the front edge of the bunker, I ditch my 56/10 and go with the 60/5 and get it in the air as quick as possible. Works for me anyway ;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
use a PW or LW, sharper leading edge, open the face a tad for more loft.

if you open the face you -

increase the bounce
raise the leading edge

ie you reverse all the reasons for choosing something other than a conventional SW!

LW and make sure you don't open the face will normall be the easiest solution.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
if you open the face you -

increase the bounce
raise the leading edge

ie you reverse all the reasons for choosing something other than a conventional SW!

LW and make sure you don't open the face will normall be the easiest solution.

but it's not normal :rolleyes: hence my solution which works extremely well. I suggested opening the face a tad if he required more loft...........it's still sand not concrete:whistle:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
but it's not normal :rolleyes: hence my solution which works extremely well. I suggested opening the face a tad if he required more loft...........it's still sand not concrete:whistle:

But he said there wasn't a lot of it (sand) so, with a larger bounce by opening up the face you hit clay and hit the ball with the leading edge! Best to use and have a low bounce lob wedge in the bag, especially with all the tight lies now with baked fairways.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
But he said there wasn't a lot of it (sand) so, with a larger bounce by opening up the face you hit clay and hit the ball with the leading edge! Best to use and have a low bounce lob wedge in the bag, especially with all the tight lies now with baked fairways.

So you would rather 'dig in'? Most amateurs have no idea how to use bounce:rolleyes: