Handicap

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello all, I'm just having a look round trying to find out how to work out my "unofficial" handicap.

I found this site Handicap and it seems pretty straight forward..

I was a bit confused by the maximum of +2 and the adjusted score, is this true when working out handicap?.. i always thought it was a case of 3 rounds score - par divided by 3.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
My club made me get 3 cards signed by another member. They then worked it out on the lowest card/score out of the three.

Anything more than a double bogey counts as a double bogey as you said.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Take the best card (best gross score).
Cut any bad holes down to a double.
Take away the SSS score from the adjusted gross and
You're done.

eg. 25 over par card (par 72, score 97)
4 bad holes (triple bogey or worse) reduced to double makes, say, 20 over par, score 92
92 minus SSS of 71 = handicap of 21.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Without wanting to sound pedantic, but probably will, you need to adjust the bad holes down to a double on all cards before you pick the best one. I think.

You could have a 98 adjusted to 95 and a 97 adjusted to 96.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
oh brilliant, i was a bit confused with the adjusted bit!

just worked out my last 3 rounds:

score 97 sss 71 adj 94 hc 23
score 101 sss 71 adj 97 hc 24
score 102 sss 71 adj 97 hc 24

so from that I would take the best score card, i.e. the 23 and that would be my starting handicap?

Just goes to show even with a few bad shots you can still keep a good handicap!

Thanks guys.

idkwia

Visit site
Just wanted to say "thanks" for these explanations as they have really helped but I have a sort of continuation question:-

Let's assume that I have now worked out my initial handicap how does it get adjusted as time goes on. I believe, although I could be wrong, that if you are a club member, after you play in a competition the Handicap Committee will adjust your handicap depending on how you fare in the competition. But if I am just playing with friends on a regular basis how should we adjust our handicaps to reflect our current playing ability?