Handicap tracking thread

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am currently going through a bit of a rough patch and have dropped out of single figures (currently 9.8) but the swing is starting to come round again after playing a bit more regularly again
Went from hitting a draw with all clubs to a fade, so was playing it, but recently the draw has started working its way back in, which doesn't help when you aim at the left side of a green/fairway to accommodate the fade and then hit a draw into trouble :mad:

Just because someone has a high handicap doesn't make them slow - my wife recently took up golf and is playing off 53, but we can still walk 18 in just over 3hrs with another couple (he is off 19 and his wife is off 46) and not have any issues with holding anyone up

Best stableford score I have had is 5 points when I eagled a par 5 and still had a shot on it at the time
I didn't mean to say they play slowly, simply that more shots means more time taken overall. Picking up after 7 or 8 is quicker than playing out for a 9.

Diamond

Visit site
I didn't mean to say they play slowly, simply that more shots means more time taken overall. Picking up after 7 or 8 is quicker than playing out for a 9.

I played a round with a friend and both over 100 shots on Tuesday and we took 3 hours.

Diamond

Visit site
That doesn't really contradict what I was saying. If you'd have shot 90 it might've taken 2:45.

Yes I agree. I played a round on my own behind 2 young colts shot 104 and it took me 3 hours but that included a walk back to the car, clubs in boot, change of footwear, weak to the bar, pint of guinness and cheese ham toastie chips and salad (all for £7.20). The round was about 2 hours 30. If I can get down to 80 shots I reckon I can do it in 2 hours 10 mins.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I agree. I played a round on my own behind 2 young colts shot 104 and it took me 3 hours but that included a walk back to the car, clubs in boot, change of footwear, weak to the bar, pint of guinness and cheese ham toastie chips and salad (all for £7.20). The round was about 2 hours 30. If I can get down to 80 shots I reckon I can do it in 2 hours 10 mins.
It's not a race man. :LOL:

I think we're getting away from what I was saying. Just meant that all the focus is on speeding up play, yet giving people handicaps up to 54 has the potential to slow it down. That's all.

Diamond

Visit site

I think we're getting away from what I was saying. Just meant that all the focus is on speeding up play, yet giving people handicaps up to 54 has the potential to slow it down. That's all.

People are shooting to +54 off a 29 handicap and can do that in 3 hours...

nowtfancy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
looking forward to getting my first official handicap soon, just joined a club after having played municipal courses for 10 years, with a recent handicap managed on golfsoc pretty consistently varying between 18-19, will be interesting to see my starting point, three relatively similar cards grossing 96, 96 & 98, hoping a couple of the higher holes get discounted to get a handicap in the range 18 - 20...

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Don't understand your logic. How is putting a number to any player's handicap going to have any effect on how fast or slow they play?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They're going to play those shots if their handicap is an unrealistic 28 or a realistic 54.....just means they're able to compete.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Red tees should be high handicap tees. Once I break 28 off the reds then I go to the yellows. Once I break 28 off the yellows I should go to the whites. That’s my opinion.
The new WHS handles the relative course difficulty by giving you more strokes on the more difficult course. So play the tees you feel happiest with.

sunshine

Visit site
The new WHS handles the relative course difficulty by giving you more strokes on the more difficult course. So play the tees you feel happiest with.

Diamond made a good point about the appropriateness of playing from different tees to suit ability. On many courses, the back tees are not appropriate for high handicappers due to long carries etc. Receiving extra shots under the slope system doesn't make the back tees more appropriate.

sunshine

Visit site
Erm - no it doesn’t

This point has got lost. Orikoru's original point made sense.

You are correct, a golfer playing 54 over par is likely to take the same time whether their handicap is 54 or 28. But maybe a golfer shooting 130+ needs to find an easier course until they are able to play to 36? Bearing in mind handicap is based on potential not average scores.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
This point has got lost. Orikoru's original point made sense.

You are correct, a golfer playing 54 over par is likely to take the same time whether their handicap is 54 or 28. But maybe a golfer shooting 130+ needs to find an easier course until they are able to play to 36? Bearing in mind handicap is based on potential not average scores.
I think I shot about 126 when I was playing for handicap, and I did duff a lot, but I walk fast, and I don’t think I held up play. It’s the old guys who don’t want to blob a hole looking for their ball that made our groups slow. I was fine losing a ball and hitting 3 of the tee or taking a blob.
I still don’t play quite of 36 but I can play a round in 3:15 without rushing, maybe taking more time on the green and I could play of 30.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
You will be getting a few weird looks in your next comp if on a hole you say 'I am getting 3 shots on this' ;-)
I did my last one of that yesterday, got a cut to 36.0 after that comp. It’s 2 shots a hole from now on and hopefully only getting better.