Handicap Saga. What are my rights?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago i put in a supplimentary card for a round of 85 which saw my handicap reduced from 20.9 to 18.7, this included a .5 ESR cut , the result was posted on HDID and Fragger was a very happy bunny. This was on the Friday.

The following Wednesday I played in a Medal Comp and shot a net 72 against CSS of 69, so bang on the buffer, I expected no handicap change

When the results were posted on HDID my handicap had gone up .5 to 19.2, I quieried it with HDID who basically said that its the clubs job to calculate the handicaps, they just post them.

The club said that it was what the software spewed out and as far as they are concerned the software is always right.

Im not happy, I want my .5 back

Now before I start stamping my feet in a hissy fit, id like to know where i stand

Thanks Guys

Fragger

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When I looked into the ESR calculations one thing that I picked up on was that the Handicap software would make recommendations and that the club should accept them.

Can't understand why it would recommend taking .5 off, then adding it back after 1 comp which you hit the buffer.

very strange

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Phil,

We have had situations this year with Club2000 where manually entered ESR's on the basis of a supplemental card, have reversed themselves out when the next competition is processed (with the player in it).

Your starting point should be to (politely) request a copy of your handicap record sheet - which should make it obvious what has happened; only leaving the why a mystery!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is no way that I am aware of that you can get 0.5 back and as far as I know, there is no way h'cap software would recommend or calculate a 0.5 increase unless a mistake was made.

This isn't the first time I have heard of HDID reporting wrong h'caps. Homer's went up 0.3 last year for no reason and I have another mate who recieved a mail from HDID saying his h'cap had reduced to 4.9 despite not playing a comp for weeks. His club new nothing about it and said his h'cap had never gone below 5.2.

HDID always say the clubs are responsible for the h'caps but I have my doubts that there aren't one or two bugs in the system

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't HDID run by Club2000 whose handicapping software feeds into it?

Yes, HDID is just a service offered by Club 2000 that posts the results/handicaps onto the website. They are quite right in saying that it is the clubs responsibility to ensure that the handicaps are correct. The software is only there to make that job simpler for clubs. It can (and does....especially Club 2000) go wrong sometimes so the clubs should check any discrepancies raised and satisfy themselves that all is OK.

AFAIK any reduction for exceptional scoring should be at least a full shot, so why it would do 0.5 is a mystery. Also, the club don't have to apply this, the software is just flagging the likelihood that a reduction is probably warranted. This looks to me as if the 0.5 was applied in error and has subsequently been corrected but only guessing. As above, your handicap record should make things clearer and a quick look on the system by the committee and an explanation should be forthcoming.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
AFAIK any reduction for exceptional scoring should be at least a full shot, so why it would do 0.5 is a mystery.

A 0.5 reduction is one of the options under ESR. It crops up when two scores of -4 Nett Differential occur but with quite a number of non-exceptional scores intervening.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
We use Club 2000 and I'm sure there is a bug in the system dealing with ESRs, not that they'll admit it. I've only had one this year and the next competition for the player showed her new reduced handicap UNTIL the Score Entry screen where it reverted to the one before the ESR cut. Spent ages on the helpline where they indicated it must be my error but when they undid the competition and re entered it the very same happened. They were remotely onto my PC so it was funny to watch it unfold and the same result followed by an "oh,ummm not sure then". End result was a fudging on the player's record which deleted the ESR and instead included it as a General Play reduction.

So that could be the issue here too and your handicap secretary hasn't noticed the difference between your card nett score and the systems? Was the nett result correct?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I did suggest to the Handicap Bod that he should just avoid all confusion and cut him to 16 but he didn't seem to want to go with that.......