handicap reduction during winter rules

jesscacull

Visit site
Hi, I was just wondering if someone could be cut while cleaning and placing? a member recently posting a score of 12 under but his handicap remained the same. should he be cut under General play?

D

Deleted member 15344

It depends on if it’s normal “preferred lies” ie in closely mown areas or if it’s “through the green “

And General Play Cut - things of the past ,

Also was this in a Competition and I guess this was a Non Q Comp - what reason was it Non Q

GolfingPastor

Visit site
I was dropped by 6 shots after a round in general play where we played lift, clean and place anywhere on fairway or rough due to boggy conditions. We were off winter tees much closer and I feel like it’s taken the sense of achievement away from getting to single figures- I’m definitely not a true 6 handicapper!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was dropped by 6 shots after a round in general play where we played lift, clean and place anywhere on fairway or rough due to boggy conditions. We were off winter tees much closer and I feel like it’s taken the sense of achievement away from getting to single figures- I’m definitely not a true 6 handicapper!
As said earlier, General Play is a thing of the past. Your handicap committee need educating

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Should I challenge it then?

I'd say that it needs some explaining. Back in the day, when we used to do what was known as Rule 19 cuts, if I read correctly, you've been cut from 12 to 6 h/c it does seem excessive to me and I'd certainly be asking how its come about

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As said earlier, General Play is a thing of the past. Your handicap committee need educating
Slightly misleading surely?

(B) GENERAL PLAY ADJUSTMENT
23.7 In exceptional circumstances the Handicap Committee may adjust the handicap of a player in the period between Annual Reviews if there is compelling evidence that his Exact Handicap does not reflect his current playing ability. Appendix M must be consulted for guidance. In Ireland, where appropriate, handicaps shall also be adjusted in respect of relevant Non- Qualifying Scores – see Clause 4.5(b). Adjustments must be calculated on the Nett Differential between the actual score, adjusted under Clause 19 if required, and the SSS of the course played.
23.8 General Play Adjustments should be made in accordance with the provisions of Clauses 23.2 to 23.6. Since a General Play Adjustment is not an adjustment that a player can anticipate Handicap Committees must advise players when such an adjustment has been applied.

We don't know the full circumstances, so any judgement on the actual validity of the adjustment made would be very poor.

The things that can't be argued with are (1) it may not be made on the evidence of a single score in isolation and (2) the handicap committee should be able to explain the rationale for their intervention (if not the precise numerical basis in all cases).

Until the reasons are clear there is nothing to challenge - so, as chrisd has posted, the starting point is to ask for an explanation...

GolfingPastor

Visit site
I'd say that it needs some explaining. Back in the day, when we used to do what was known as Rule 19 cuts, if I read correctly, you've been cut from 12 to 6 h/c it does seem excessive to me and I'd certainly be asking how its come about

It said “Clause 23 adjustment”