Handicap Question

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi all.I am shortly to become a member of a club.I understand how my initial handicap is calculated via the three cards. However I have a slight confusion in my mind in how it is adjusted going forward. Take this scenario if you will.We will say I am given an initial handicap of 20. I enter my first competition and the CSS is the same as par at 72. I shoot a gross 92 net 72. However, I have 10 on the card for one of the par 4's. Is my new handicap assesed using my net score, or is it adjusted taking the 10 into account?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
In your scenario the 10 would be reduced to an 8 or 7 depending on SI, so you would be 2/3 under par and receive a 0.9 cut.
Easiest way to understand the rounding is to convert you score to stableford points. In your example 36 points is level.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all.I am shortly to become a member of a club.I understand how my initial handicap is calculated via the three cards. However I have a slight confusion in my mind in how it is adjusted going forward. Take this scenario if you will.We will say I am given an initial handicap of 20. I enter my first competition and the CSS is the same as par at 72. I shoot a gross 92 net 72. However, I have 10 on the card for one of the par 4's. Is my new handicap assesed using my net score, or is it adjusted taking the 10 into account?

That depends on the relationship between your handicap and the Stroke Index of the hole in question. This example from the CONGU manual may (or may not) make that clearer:

"A competitor playing from a handicap of 5 returned a nett score of 70 in a Stroke Play Qualifying Competition. This equalled the CSS of the day. The scorecard, however, contained an 8 at the par 4, 5[SUP]th[/SUP] hole which was Stroke Index 6. In this instance, therefore, the nett double bogey score was 7 (4+2+1) resulting in the 8 being reduced to 7 (for handicap purposes) with consequent reduction in nett score to 69 and a handicap reduction of 0.3.
Had the competitor made a ‘no score’ at the 5th hole rather than an 8 e.g. he lost a ball and did not put another into play, the effect, for handicap purposes would have been exactly the same i.e. a nett double bogey score of 7.
By taking advantage of this clause and completing subsequent holes, competitors have the opportunity to return scores below their handicap or within their Buffer Zone even though they do not have a competition score."

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Much clearer thanks guys. So even with a disaster hole in the monthly medal, putting you out of the running, it's always worth plugging away as a handicap cut is still possible.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Much clearer thanks guys. So even with a disaster hole in the monthly medal, putting you out of the running, it's always worth plugging away as a handicap cut is still possible.

Indeed - just consider a disaster as a blob in etlstimating how the rounds going for handicap.