Handicap Question

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Last week I shot 40 points plating off my Handicap of 18 in a club competition. The cards for the whole competition have gone in but as of yet have not been processed through the computer due to the Handicap Secretary being on Holiday.

What do I play off today? Should I assume a 1.2 cut or do I play off whats on the board? Ive asked up the club and nobody really seems to know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
You should assume that CSS was the same as SSS and adjust accordingly.

For example, if your SSS is the same as your course par (par = 72, SSS = 72) then you'll adjust for four shots, but if your SSS is two less than your course par (par = 72, SSS = 70) then you'll adjust for two shots.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
as Crow sets out

I believe your SSS = Par = 69, in which case you deduct 1.2 from your current exact to establish your new playing handicap wef the date of that competition.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply crow. I deducted 1.2 from myself and played off 17 today.

Thanks for both replies

Daviefow

Hacker
Visit site
i have a similar issue mate, but our club local rules state that your handicap is not cut until it is posted on the club handicap list in the clubhouse.

Hope this helps.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
i have a similar issue mate, but our club local rules state that your handicap is not cut until it is posted on the club handicap list in the clubhouse.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure how legal that is. Say you were going to play in an Open somewhere , you are always supposed to alter your own handicap downwards if applicable?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Hope this helps.

If your handicap is a CONGU one then this is wrong, as other's have picked up. If it's a USGA one, or and EGA one, then it works differently but under CONGU such 'local rules' are simply not an option.

Edit - Handicap increases only apply when posted which might be causing confusion (clutching at straws!)

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was under the impression that if you believe a cut may be due then you should apply it yourself based of SSS regardless of what's going on. I know some places can be very slow to report CSS at times. The one thing you can't do is raise your handicap.

Daviefow

Hacker
Visit site
Its interesting what people are saying on here. The handicap is congu, so i checked the club Membership and Fixture book for this season and under the "General Rules for Competitions" it clearly states

"When a player breaks their handicap they must play off their new handicap as and from the date the alteration is posted on the notice board"

I think this issue should be cleared up at the next club meeting.

Thanks for the heads up.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was under the impression that if you believe a cut may be due then you should apply it yourself based of SSS regardless of what's going on. I know some places can be very slow to report CSS at times. The one thing you can't do is raise your handicap.

This is correct and you are obliged to cut yourself or face dq for playing from a false h/cap as been with a nike matchplay match covered In the lounge last week.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its interesting what people are saying on here. The handicap is congu, so i checked the club Membership and Fixture book for this season and under the "General Rules for Competitions" it clearly states

"When a player breaks their handicap they must play off their new handicap as and from the date the alteration is posted on the notice board"

I think this issue should be cleared up at the next club meeting.

Thanks for the heads up.

Thank you for posting this, it's helpful.

I can see from the use of the word 'must' that the probable intention of this was to highlight to members that regardless of whether they look at the board their new handicap applies. (true)

However, I can also see how it could be interpreted the other way, as you have, from the wording used.

I'm sure everyone will benefit from a tidy up.