Handicap/Comp Secretary - are they paid at your club?

wjemather

Visit site
At my club, both handicaps and comps committees are made up of member volunteers, although the owner/manager/pro has some input into comps. The pro shop also perform many of the on-the-day tasks to assist in running comps.

I know of (generally members) clubs locally where paid office staff do everything, and others where the committee are member volunteers but the work is done by paid office staff.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The operations manager at our club (not the Club manager ) is responsible for Handicap and Comps admin which is a paid position. The handicap committee is responsible for handicap reviews the handicap committee are all unpaid members.

givepeaceachance

Visit site
Many thanks for all your replies. An interesting cross section too. I had heard of some locally getting paid their fees, which to be perfectly honest, sounds the fairest payment given the time committed to the club it entails being H & C Sec. If you were getting minimum wage, & spent 3 hours a week in the role, that would be nearly £1500 for the year!

Swango1980

Visit site
Not sure about my current club as I've only just joined. Was on the committee at the previous club and nobody except the Captain got any benefit (I think he got half price subs). All we got were complaints and this is possibly why the entire committee and 30+ other members resigned and moved to different clubs. I won't be volunteering again.
I would stress, the complaints that lead to this were NOT from members.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The operations manager at our club (not the Club manager ) is responsible for Handicap and Comps admin which is a paid position. The handicap committee is responsible for handicap reviews the handicap committee are all unpaid members.
Our Golf Manager looks after comps, and his is a paid position...separately we have a Handicap Sec - and that's a member volunteering.