Handicap/Comp Secretary - are they paid at your club?

givepeaceachance

Visit site
Hi everyone. I'm just trying to get an idea of how many clubs pay their Handicap Secretary either a wage or some form of recompense for their time. No need to mention which club or any names,its more a straw poll than anything else.
Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 23270

It is all taken care of by our office staff.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Previous club paid zero money and gave no reduction in subs. The comps sec gives up approx 2 nights a week to process all comps and gets nothing but an ear ache!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nothing other than a modest reduction in the annual fees. Not sure the reduction would offset the amount of work and the amount of comments from members but I guess it is good the club are recognising the time and work going in to a voluntary role

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not aware of anything, or any form of recompense. As a committee member they’ll get a drink ‘on the club’ at committee meetings.

Last edited:

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
None of our Committee are paid or receive any benefit except perhaps the odd complimentary cup of coffee. There was a proposal a few years ago for anyone leaving the Committee after serving 3 years to get the following year's membership free, but it was voted down.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
No body on our Committee gets any sort of recompense bar the Captain, who gets free golf for the year of his tenure (but then personally pays out more than the value of his membership in the way of Captains comps and charity fundraising events).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
None of our committee get payed or get any reduction of fees, there are perks of course, some nice committee matches against Open venues. Most of the hard work is done by club staff.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure about my current club as I've only just joined. Was on the committee at the previous club and nobody except the Captain got any benefit (I think he got half price subs). All we got were complaints and this is possibly why the entire committee and 30+ other members resigned and moved to different clubs. I won't be volunteering again.

Last edited: