Handicap Certificate

welsh ian

Visit site
Recently started playing, done a few rounds on my local public nine hole but not a member of a club yet. A friend is getting married at the vale hotel in the vale of glamorgan and part of the package is a free round for him +3 on the welsh national course. Checking their website I see you need a handicap of 28 or less and a handicap certificate, i dont think the 28 handicap is an issue but none of us have a handicap certificate. Are we likely to need one as its part of his wedding package?

I looked online and see that there are lots of places that do online handicap certs available for £15 such as one from the telegraph (http://golfhandicap.telegraph.co.uk/HandicapCertificate.aspx) you just add three scorecards and they give you one, if its that easy it seems a little pointless as i could enter what i like. Should i get one of these and are they widely accepted?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tough one.

Personally I'd just fake one. I've done it before and I'd do it again. It's even easier these days, "making" an A4 certificate with a logo and stuff is easy.

I wouldn't be keen on paying £15 for anything like the Telegraph one. I mean, what's the point? Totally worthless piece of paper, it might get you on a course, but how can it be accurate and genuinely valid?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tough one.

Personally I'd just fake one. I've done it before and I'd do it again. It's even easier these days, "making" an A4 certificate with a logo and stuff is easy.

I wouldn't be keen on paying £15 for anything like the Telegraph one. I mean, what's the point? Totally worthless piece of paper, it might get you on a course, but how can it be accurate and genuinely valid?

Probably more accurate and genuinely valid than one you fake up yourself!

welsh ian

Visit site
wont bother with the internet one then. I'm thinking they wont be too bothered about it, surely they cant sell him a package including a freeround of golf and then tell him he isnt elligable to play. Costing near enough £20k so i think they should give him a bit of prefferential treatment. Doubt an Ebay one would get to me by Saturday so i'll chance it.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably more accurate and genuinely valid than one you fake up yourself!

More valid, yes, definitely.

More accurate, probably nothing in it, except when I've been forced into doing this I'd always put the correct h'cap (remember I was nomadic for about 8 years).
The "number" on the cert' is just for playing between mates etc. I'd never condone entering anything proper with one - way too risky.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
wont bother with the internet one then. I'm thinking they wont be too bothered about it, surely they cant sell him a package including a freeround of golf and then tell him he isnt elligable to play. Costing near enough £20k so i think they should give him a bit of prefferential treatment. Doubt an Ebay one would get to me by Saturday so i'll chance it.

Why not call them and ask? Remove all doubt. Fairly simple and sensible step.
If they do need one and insist on one for all visitors I can't see them bending their rules regardless of pending £20k.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
why do you think they require a h/c cert.1- just to be awkward 2-to make money 3-to stop complete hacker's ripping up the course and spoiling other peoples games, answers on a post card please.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
why do you think they require a h/c cert.1- just to be awkward 2-to make money 3-to stop complete hacker's ripping up the course and spoiling other peoples games, answers on a post card please.

Where do I send the postcard?

I know where you're coming from though...

When I used to knock one up (a h'cap) at least I knew I played off 10 and could manage 15-ish even on zero games, just a range trip the day before.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

but with a 28 limit it seems pointless?......... even your mate would get one of those :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'd just fake them.
It's a worthless excercise having a handicap certificate - what does it prove?
Apart from showing that you're a member of a club and have played at least 3 rounds it proves diddly squat.
Those 3 rounds could be 150's, you'd still get a 28...
You could be a reasonable golfer who can break 80 but just because you're not a member of a club you can't play...

Up there with Joining Fees and Jacket and Tie for lunch as things that need to be done away with....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I heard a story, albeit second hand of a guy who was asked to provide a handicap certificate to play a well known premier course down here. Apparently they are looking at introducing a handicap limit set at 18 (this was last month but don't know if they've actually done it yet). He plays off 25 and knocked one up. Played the first three holes and a marshall rocked up on a buggy and asked to see the certificate as it "had been reported" that he was unable to play to the skill level required and was watched for the next two holes and then asked to leave. Unbelievable but the talk of the 19th

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I heard a story, albeit second hand of a guy who was asked to provide a handicap certificate to play a well known premier course down here. Apparently they are looking at introducing a handicap limit set at 18 (this was last month but don't know if they've actually done it yet). He plays off 25 and knocked one up. Played the first three holes and a marshall rocked up on a buggy and asked to see the certificate as it "had been reported" that he was unable to play to the skill level required and was watched for the next two holes and then asked to leave. Unbelievable but the talk of the 19th
i have played at a north wales club that has a starter,he checks your h/c cert and it is his call if after seeing you tee off (par 3 first) he decides if you can Carry on,i don't have a problem with any course setting a max limit for visitors to play the course be it 15 or 18 it is their course they make the rules and "faking" a h/c cert is just the same as cheating,who on here would relish the thought of say a society of 30 ALL with fake h/c certs descending on their manicured fairways and greens,just a thought!

welsh ian

Visit site
I'm not looking to play in comps just my mate has a free round so it would be a shame to pass on it as i am not a member of another club. There are a few pay to play courses around south wales from £10 a round for 18 holes so to make even a cheap £250 membership pay i'd have to play pretty regularly and just haven't always got the time unfortunately.

Cheers for the help particularly backwoodsman thats what i wanted to hear. Worst case scenario they refuse us entry and we go to a pay and play and use the free round when we are more suitably prepared.