Handicap and Distance

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is an excellent question, and after reading through 12 pages the answers actually give the answer.

Justone hit on it early on with ‘my willie is bigger’ comment, because distance (length!) is king. Sure, it won’t necessarily win you competitions, or get you a low handicap, but it will get you admiring glances and pats on the back. Whilst putting wins you the hole, the back slapping you get from holing out from 25ft is not the same as the back slapping from an enormous drive down the middle of the fairway – either in the way its given or recieved.
So, to the original question – it’s a subconscious jealousy thing. Somebody mentioned a scratch golfer with 235 yard drives. Why doesn’t he believe a 15HC can drive 300yards? Loads of reasons – but it boils down to the same thing. Imagine if that scratch golfer could hit the ball 300 yards, and keep it in play? How much would that improve his game? Why, that person, might just be a pro. And that hurts.

Or maybe, more reasonably (subconsciously), because they are a 15HC, there’s no way they have the skillset to be able to do that....

I personly think having played with alot of golfers that people dont like being out driven! However, you just know when you've hit a massive drive and then stick your second in the pond the shorter hitting is thinking "ha ha"

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reading through this thread really has me thinking I'm an under achiever :( I'm the definition of a high handicapper but I only hit it 190-200 yards with my driver....lots of work needed it seems.

clearly you dont use zero friction tee's

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Daveboy quotes are not unreal. Remember his 6 iron is 1 degree off my 4 iron (i play i20's) and he does hit a mean drive as I have personly witnessed. He also has no wish to brag and penis measure on a forum. So, for one I believe him 100%. His friend mark hits it further though :temper:

I am not falling for that one again David :blah: :temper:

... and Mark has a reg shaft in his driver :eek:

And my 6 iron is the same as your 5 iron I'll have you know 27 degrees!

Last edited:

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Now let's get out of this thread while we are still alive mate... If we tell folk Mark can hit a 300 yard drive with a reg shaft we will not make midnight :rofl:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reading through this thread really has me thinking I'm an under achiever :( I'm the definition of a high handicapper but I only hit it 190-200 yards with my driver....lots of work needed it seems.
I hit about the same distance as yourself and manage to hit the fairway most times. Problem arises when par 4s are over 400yrds I'm left with a pitch. making them a par 5 for me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Mate believe me I do have bad days where a nasty hook rears its head but after sending some photos to JO (James) he pointed out a few flaws at the top of my swing and pointed out the direction my shoulders where aiming and hey-presto the very small changes have worked miracles. So James let that head grow my son :thup:

The only thing I am trying to point out is that high handicap players can hit the ball as far as a lower handicap player. Both me and my playing partner can hit very long shots aswell as Hovis (Forum member) who up until recently also played off 17.

Absolutely - I completely agree - and was supportive of you in my previous post - even though your par 5 achievements might have caused raised eyebrows - including mine. But you are 17 handicap - and it just so happens you have got your swing right off the tee and are able to give it a sweet belt. And every so often we catch an iron sweet also and off it goes. All I am suggesting is you don't get to relying on it too much - because as other parts of your game improve your driving will go off the boil - it just will. That's the mysterious and enfeebling nature of golf - but you know that. Target of 13h/cap for you next yr? Sounds achievable for you.:thup:

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Absolutely - I completely agree - and was supportive of you in my previous post - even though your par 5 achievements might have caused raised eyebrows - including mine. But you are 17 handicap - and it just so happens you have got your swing right off the tee and are able to give it a sweet belt. And every so often we catch an iron sweet also and off it goes. All I am suggesting is you don't get to relying on it too much - because as other parts of your game improve your driving will go off the boil - it just will. That's the mysterious and enfeebling nature of golf - but you know that. Target of 13h/cap for you next yr? Sounds achievable for you.:thup:

I have set 12 as my target for next year, 17 is my very first handicap and I've only played 4 comps with 33 points being my worst score.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have set 12 as my target for next year, 17 is my very first handicap and I've only played 4 comps with 33 points being my worst score.

If 17 is your first handicap and you have only played 4 comps then I fear that you will struggle to get to 12. I'm not being negative but given your circumstances a 12 handicap is a MASSIVE leap forward. I'd maybe aim for 15 :)

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If 17 is your first handicap and you have only played 4 comps then I fear that you will struggle to get to 12. I'm not being negative but given your circumstances a 12 handicap is a MASSIVE leap forward. I'd maybe aim for 15 :)

You may be right who knows. The week after I completed my final handicap card I shot a 83 with two yes two 7's on the card. So that would have started me on 11 with that card alone. We will see I have shot loads of rounds in the 38-42 point zone in practice. I hope to hit 14 at least.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Why is there such a prejudice about the higher handicap you are the shorter you should hit the ball?

If a typical 12hc came to you and asked for advice on how he can get to 6, is the right answer.....

1) Hit the ball 30yds further
2) improve your short game

I'm guessing most would answer 2.

So if a 6hc can hit the ball 260 (or whatever) and he's lowered his handicap by taking less shots around the green, why can't a 12hc hit the ball 260 without being called a liar?

I believe it's mostly the low hc's think it's a slur on their masculinity to suggest that a worse overall golfer can hit the ball as far or further than they do.

Any other theories?

It's not about distance, it's about distance control.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Correct, but that isn't what was asked.

Doesn't matter, I gave up long ago.

It would be my response to any players that could outdrive me but had a higher handicap. Although I don't see how that could be possible as I drive the ball 700 yards. That's my biggest issue, having to take extra shots to get back to the green. ;)

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you have to be careful about saying club golfers can't compare to pros, I was winning our captains day longest drive comp with 305 yards and lost out to a 327 yard drive from a 5 handicapper, flat summer fairway no wind. His is recorded on our club website for all to see.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You may be right who knows. The week after I completed my final handicap card I shot a 83 with two yes two 7's on the card. So that would have started me on 11 with that card alone. We will see I have shot loads of rounds in the 38-42 point zone in practice. I hope to hit 14 at least.

Don't expect anyone to be surprised that you had two sevens when you shot a pretty good round - believe me - if that's as bad as it got you were lucky (yes lucky I am afraid). I still regularly record at least one 7 or 8 on medal cards - that's how it goes. Occasionally I don't and then I have a good score. But I wouldn't start thinking that you'll soon be able to regularly put in medal cards that don't have at least one 7+ and that once you've got rid of these pesky blunders that'll be them gone and you'll be off 11 before you know it. You might - good luck - :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am not a fan of the phrase, '' played to x handicap'' .

there is a big difference between shooting a certain medal score and playing off that handicap.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't expect anyone to be surprised that you had two sevens when you shot a pretty good round - believe me - if that's as bad as it got you were lucky (yes lucky I am afraid). I still regularly record at least one 7 or 8 on medal cards - that's how it goes. Occasionally I don't and then I have a good score. But I wouldn't start thinking that you'll soon be able to regularly put in medal cards that don't have at least one 7+ and that once you've got rid of these pesky blunders that'll be them gone and you'll be off 11 before you know it. You might - good luck - :)

And as if to prove my theory I knocked it round in 12 over (2 over handicap) yesterday - including a 6 and a 7 on a couple of par 4s. Even accepting I got shots on both holes I'm not going to pretend I'm almost a 7 handicapper - more's the pity - that's for next season.