Handicap amended months later

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Just noticed my handicap has been amended from 10.7 to 10.9. Not an annual review or anything like that, but it appears that the CSS for a competition I played In March has been changed from 72 to 71, and I only got a 0.2 cut instead of 0.4.

On the face of it not significant, but it meant that I should have played off 12 and not 11 in my last competition, the October medal. Off 12 I would have won, off 11 I lost on countback. Off 12 I would have been cut back to 10.7, assuming a 12 handicap. As I played off 11, I was only three shots below CSS, and have been cut to 10.9 (0.6 off 11.5)

Anyone heard off handicap being amended over six months after a competition ? I assume this is what has happened. My handicap is showing as 11.5 for the October medal, but I know that when I input my score into the computer, the computer showed my handicap as 11. If it had been 12, my points score would have been one more, and I would have known there was a problem. Makes me think amendment must have been since October, for a competition played in March.

I will query with club next time I am up there, but any experts on here not what is going on ?????

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rich - I'm guessing (from experience) that someone has corrected an administration error in the March competition...which rolls back the handicap records (as any handicap corrections do) but doesn't handle the consequences outside of handicapping ☹
The alternative of duplicate record correction doesn't seem appropriate given your comment 're the March comp and your record.
If it's something else it would be good to hear about it ?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Rich - I'm guessing (from experience) that someone has corrected an administration error in the March competition...which rolls back the handicap records (as any handicap corrections do) but doesn't handle the consequences outside of handicapping ☹
The alternative of duplicate record correction doesn't seem appropriate given your comment 're the March comp and your record.
I think you are right Duncan.

I will speak to the club, though I am not sure if they can correct my handicap, which by my manual calculation is not correct.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'm trying to get my head round what kind of administration error. The software calculates CSS based on the submitted scores. What "administration error" could possibly affect the calculation?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It seems that the CSS may have been 'corrected'. Rich is speculating and checking that originally two CSSs were calculated. One for the am and one for the pm.
Rich's handicap is correct for the now calculated CSS.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
It seems that the CSS may have been 'corrected'. Rich is speculating and checking that originally two CSSs were calculated. One for the am and one for the pm.
Rich's handicap is correct for the now calculated CSS.
Two different CSS’s were originally shown for morning and afternoon. A day later it was corrected so just one CSS, but it might have been done incorrectly? Assuming it was, my handicap has now been adjusted up by 0.2 for the last seven or eight competitions. Just happens that for one competition, the last one, my handicap should have been one higher than I played off.

Only speculating and will speak to the club. Still think my handicap is incorrect as in the last competition I was now off 11.5, and shot four under CSS. By my maths I should have been cut 0.8, and not 0.6.

I wonder if any other members have been affected, or even noticed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only way a CSS can be calculated and applied is via the competition processing software. In this case both comps must have been 'reopened', the scores re entered as for one comp and then this 'combined' comp closed. That would mean that all handicaps are now correct.
If that was not what happened, why is there only one comp on the CDH?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm trying to get my head round what kind of administration error. The software calculates CSS based on the submitted scores. What "administration error" could possibly affect the calculation?
In addition to the situation now being outlined...
One example would be that the competition tees were incorrectly set, a second would be that an individual score (that impacted the CSS calculation) was in some way 'corrected'. The latter can include a wide range of events - eg removal of a players score when it was subsequently established that he didnt have a CONGU handicap.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Regardless of the reason .
I think the club should have notified the members of the correction.
Is it possible that you missed the email?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don’t think so, but it may have only just been done. Email may be on its way ?
Doubt it; we don't email handicap changes as a result of competitions to people in the first place!
However, given the responsibility of players (currently) to self adjust from known baselines it would seem sensible to have advised those affected by the implemented retrospective adjustments ? then again you know now.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Doubt it; we don't email handicap changes as a result of competitions to people in the first place!
However, given the responsibility of players (currently) to self adjust from known baselines it would seem sensible to have advised those affected by the implemented retrospective adjustments ? then again you know now.
Yes that would seem sensible.
Just asking if it was the other way around lower cap could he be disqualified for playing off a higher cap.?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes that would seem sensible.
Just asking if it was the other way around lower cap could he be disqualified for playing off a higher cap.?

At the time that he played he is responsible for playing to the correct handicap.

In this context correct would have been the Handicap shown on his record at the time he played.

Hence the only real danger is that it gets adjusted down before he plays, but he doesn't realise it. Most systems will be either printing his system shown handicap or showing it when entering a score at a PSI terminal (let alone showing it on a start sheet) so there are lots of warning signs...?

All that said such retrospective comp adjustments for older events always carry the risk of chaos under the current stepped CONGU system....the risk of any impact from such changes will be effectively removed under WHS.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Update :

My handicap has been adjusted back, and all my scores amended. CSS for March comp has been amended back to 72from 71.

Club told me that Intelligent golf had checked and corrected.

Thanks for all the advice. ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Update :

My handicap has been adjusted back, and all my scores amended. CSS for March comp has been amended back to 72from 71.

Club told me that Intelligent golf had checked and corrected.

Thanks for all the advice. ?
Goodness knows how they did that. I didn't think you could manually override the CSS.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Goodness knows how they did that. I didn't think you could manually override the CSS.
CSS has gone back to original 72 from amended 71.

If I hadn’t queried it, I assume it would not have been amended. Think I might go down as a trouble maker at the club. ?