Handicap Adjustment

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following on from another thread, my scores in comps last year were as follows:-

25 / 28 / 22 / 32 / 30 / 26 in stableford and one medal score of 95 !!!!!

the annual review didn't give me anything, but could I ask for another review ? Playing off the whites where I'm now at is bluddy hard. They can be as much as almost 100 yards further back on some!!! and a 250 yard par three. Hitting driver on a par three!!!!! Sorry, put this up to try and stop replies like "stop being a girl" LOL I love playing in comps but feel that it is a total waste to time off the whites. Bit of a waste off yellows as well. Shot a 36 in December to scrape in fourth behind a 42 + 40.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If those were 7 consecutive comps you may have had a case for an extra shot however depending on you handicap and CSS on the day the 32 points may have reset the counter.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Following on from another thread, my scores in comps last year were as follows:-

the annual review didn't give me anything, but could I ask for another review ? Playing off the whites where I'm now at is bluddy hard. They can be as much as almost 100 yards further back on some!!! and a 250 yard par three. Hitting driver on a par three!!!!! Sorry, put this up to try and stop replies like "stop being a girl" LOL I love playing in comps but feel that it is a total waste to time off the whites. Bit of a waste off yellows as well. Shot a 36 in December to scrape in fourth behind a 42 + 40.

Why don't you start a forum poll on whether people think you should have a handicap increase or not? I'll vote.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the 36 points needs to be in those scores as well. If the 36 point was to buffer or better it would reset the 7 in a row for continuous review purposes and as it is a recent score I would doubt you would get an increase under a review.

I would also need to see the Competition Standard Scratch against those scores.

PS in another thread I thought you said you only did 3 a year.

Look on the bright side those scores look like an increase when the WHS comes in November.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ask your handicap sec if they decided not to accept the system recommendation if there was one. And if so, why.

Wolf

Visit site
A course for amateurs should not have a 250 yard par 3 in my opinion.
I'd say no course, amateur or professional, needs a 250 yard par 3..
Whilst I'd generally agree with both of you on this, I think there are other factors as well as merely length.

I've played a course with a 250yard Par 3 that's all down hill and is easily reachable with a mid to long iron. I've equally played a course with a 220 yard par 3 that was all up hill( quite a steep gradient to) that nobody in my group could reach with a driver.

Similar to this opening hole at my Dad's course is 262yard par 4 from medal tees but I can drive with 3 Wood due to slight downhill from tee to green and I'm not a long hitter.

Its not just distance that makes a hole unplayable.

D

Deleted member 18588

Why?

Handicap reflects ability and loads of amateurs would have no difficulty with a well designed par 3 of that length. Thew difficulty should also be reflected in the Stroke Index.

Average driving distance for male recreational golfers in the UK is 215 yards

That would suggest that a par 3 of 250 yards is unnecessary and only likely to slow down play no matter what the design.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Whilst I'd generally agree with both of you on this, I think there are other factors as well as merely length.

I've played a course with a 250yard Par 3 that's all down hill and is easily reachable with a mid to long iron. I've equally played a course with a 220 yard par 3 that was all up hill( quite a steep gradient to) that nobody in my group could reach with a driver.

Similar to this opening hole at my Dad's course is 262yard par 4 from medal tees but I can drive with 3 Wood due to slight downhill from tee to green and I'm not a long hitter.

Its not just distance that makes a hole unplayable.
There's always going to be exceptions as you say.
We have a steeply downhill par 3 but it's only 150 or so yards, plays into the breeze so can be anything from a sand wedge to a 6 iron
Fragger's previous club has a 240 yarder that's uphill and into the breeze.
I suspect the GiR stat on that one makes interesting reading
I just dont see the point of them. Most can't or won't reach the green.
We also have a 127 yard par 3 off the whites - plays to an average of 3.9
And I bet people look upon it as a challenge rather than doubling the length and making it a slog.

Wolf

Visit site
There's always going to be exceptions as you say.
We have a steeply downhill par 3 but it's only 150 or so yards, plays into the breeze so can be anything from a sand wedge to a 6 iron
Fragger's previous club has a 240 yarder that's uphill and into the breeze.
I suspect the GiR stat on that one makes interesting reading
I just dont see the point of them. Most can't or won't reach the green.
We also have a 127 yard par 3 off the whites - plays to an average of 3.9
And I bet people look upon it as a challenge rather than doubling the length and making it a slog.
That kind of proves my point though yours is an example of how distance + down hill gradient allows for a hole to play in different ways without being punishing.. Fraggers on other hand is an example of how a hole shouldn't be designed because that length plus up hill becomes pointless for us mere mortals. Yet flip that round make yours uphill that 150 could play nearer 180-200yards still out of range for many. But have the 240yard steeply downhill like your shorter par 3, and that will knock a fair few yards off and make it reachable for many.

People need to look at the land they're working with before just designing these courses.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I assume that with all of these scores your handicap increased 0.1... so from a committee point of view, they would be happy that your handicap was adjusting over time.

I'd say play more comps and put in supplementaries.

I guess that most people wouldn't want their handicap to go up as they are trying to shoot as low as possible. And from a competition point of view they'd rather have people playing off a slightly lower handicap, than a slightly higher one, if anything.

When the new system comes in you'll go up much quicker as it will become an average of your most recent scores, rather than 4 over CSS or 28 over CSS both leading to only a 0.1 adjustment.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

it is what it is. Par is just a number. For most amateurs, they'll be getting a shot on it, so just play it as a short par 4. Easy 2 putt bogey for 2 points. Simple.

So make it a par 4? How does that change anything? Are you going to play it differently?
Especially if it's only 220 off the yellows.

The course SSS isn't going to change unless you lengthened the hole and / or made the green smaller or better protected.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site

Wow. Unless it's downhill, I think a few would struggle to even get their driver there. We've a 220 yard par 3 that is level - maybe a few yards downhill - a lot never get to the green even with driver. It plays 170 from the greens which is still tricky but a lot less intimidating.