Handicap Adjustment

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why?

Handicap reflects ability and loads of amateurs would have no difficulty with a well designed par 3 of that length. Thew difficulty should also be reflected in the Stroke Index.

Really? Surely Stroke Index is not necessarily related to difficulty.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really? Surely Stroke Index is not necessarily related to difficulty.

It is recommended that clubs have two sets of SIs one set for match play and the other for Stableford ie difficulty.

When it came in where I play we originally did this but too many players went out with the wrong card and we reconsidered what to do. Given the fact that stableford is by a long way the most played format at our our club we went with just set of SIs based upon difficulty.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is recommended that clubs have two sets of SIs one set for match play and the other for Stableford ie difficulty.
The recommendation under WHS is quite different. It includes both scratch and bogey difficulty values. Although difficulty is significant the method of allocation is quite new. But it does recognise match play, giving the best chance of strokes being received before a match ends.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The recommendation under WHS is quite different. It includes both scratch and bogey difficulty values. Although difficulty is significant the method of allocation is quite new. But it does recognise match play, giving the best chance of strokes being received before a match ends.
So will Clubs be required to reassess their Indexes under WHS? What is their recommendation?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So will Clubs be required to reassess their Indexes under WHS? What is their recommendation?
It's not a requirement just a recommendation. As it has always been. But now is is the same recommendation around the world.

The Rules of Golf state: “The Committee is responsible for publishing on the scorecard or somewhere else that is visible (for example, near the first tee) the
order of holes at which handicap strokes are to be given or received.” (See Rules of Golf, Committee Procedures, Rule 5I (4)).
It is recommended that a stroke index allocation be applied over 18-holes, split into six triads with each hole ranked on its playing difficulty relative to par. The
difficulty of each hole can be determined objectively using hole-by-hole data provided from the Course Rating procedure as follows:
Scratch Value + Bogey Value – (2 x par)
For example, on a par 4 hole where the Scratch Value is 4.2 and the Bogey Value is 5.3:
4.2 + 5.3 – (2 x 4) = 1.5 over par

The recommended methodology and procedures for determining a stroke index allocation within the six triad structure, designed to accommodate both stroke play
and match play formats, is as follows:

Apply odd stroke index allocations over the front nine and even stroke index allocations over the back nine. If, however, the back nine is significantly more
difficult than the front nine, as determined by the Course Rating, the even stroke index allocations can be switched to the front nine and the odd stroke index
allocations to the back nine.

Spread stroke index allocations evenly over the 18 holes so that players receiving strokes will have the opportunity to use a high proportion of these strokes
before a match result has been decided.

Apply the lowest stroke index hole (1 or 2) on each nine in the middle triad. If no hole within the middle triad is ranked within the lowest 6 holes relative to par,
then it can be moved into an adjacent hole at the end of the first triad or the beginning of the third triad on each nine.

Apply the second lowest stroke index hole (3 or 4) on each nine in either the first or third triad, unless the lowest stroke index hole has been allocated in that
same triad.

If possible, avoid low stroke indexes (6 or less) on consecutive holes.

When a player receives more than 18 strokes, the same allocation order is used with stroke index 1 repeating as stroke index 19, 37 and 55, with all additional
strokes going up sequentially.

These recommended procedures support the guidance contained in the Rules of
Golf, Committee Procedures.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Coming back to the 250 yard par 3, it might be down to the age of the course.

If the course was laid out many years ago it probably was a par 4 originally, but the increase in shot distance for all players has meant that the hole no longer plays well as a par 4 so was changed to a par 3.

It might not play well as a par 3 for most golfers but is preferable to a very short par 4.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

If the course was laid out many years ago it probably was a par 4 originally, but the increase in shot distance for all players has meant that the hole no longer plays well as a par 4 so was changed to a par 3.

It might not play well as a par 3 for most golfers but is preferable to a very short par 4.

Disagree with this completely.

Par is irrelevant, and the SS wouldn't change simply by taking a shot off the par.

A 250 par 3 is not an 'enjoyable' hole for 95%+ of golfers. Driveable par 4s are enjoyable - even though the hole doesnt change the psychology does.

As average distance increased so could the difficulty of the hazards approaching the green, a lateral penalty area at 220, steep well positioned bunkers, tricky run-offs, shape of green etc can all be amended. Make it a real risk/reward par 4 - not a slog of a par 3 that every club golfer pulls out driver for.

If the club hosted elite AM/pro events then no reason there couldn't be a set of tees at 220 and play it as a par 3.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Bit late for that information from the authorities we have just had all our cards printed, probably enough for a couple of years. We could not wait any longer as we were on the verge of running out of cards.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That must have been a very long time ago I have been playing for over 40 years and when first took up the game I played a courses that have 240 yard holes.

I know it does change eg the Road Hole at St Andrews was a par 5 that changed to a par 4.

Where I play when it was no longer just length that decided par a couple of our par 4s became par 5s, although in recent years one has gone back to being a par 4.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It is recommended that a stroke index allocation be applied over 18-holes, split into six triads with each hole ranked on its playing difficulty relative to par.

If no hole within the middle triad is ranked within the lowest 6 holes relative to par,

If you have "six triads" - which one is the "middle" one? ;)

So, is a Triad, one of 6 threes or 3 sixes? :ROFLMAO:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not a requirement just a recommendation. As it has always been. But now is is the same recommendation around the world.

The Rules of Golf state: “The Committee is responsible for publishing on the scorecard or somewhere else that is visible (for example, near the first tee) the
order of holes at which handicap strokes are to be given or received.” (See Rules of Golf, Committee Procedures, Rule 5I (4)).
It is recommended that a stroke index allocation be applied over 18-holes, split into six triads with each hole ranked on its playing difficulty relative to par. The
difficulty of each hole can be determined objectively using hole-by-hole data provided from the Course Rating procedure as follows:
Scratch Value + Bogey Value – (2 x par)
For example, on a par 4 hole where the Scratch Value is 4.2 and the Bogey Value is 5.3:
4.2 + 5.3 – (2 x 4) = 1.5 over par

The recommended methodology and procedures for determining a stroke index allocation within the six triad structure, designed to accommodate both stroke play
and match play formats, is as follows:

Apply odd stroke index allocations over the front nine and even stroke index allocations over the back nine. If, however, the back nine is significantly more
difficult than the front nine, as determined by the Course Rating, the even stroke index allocations can be switched to the front nine and the odd stroke index
allocations to the back nine.

Spread stroke index allocations evenly over the 18 holes so that players receiving strokes will have the opportunity to use a high proportion of these strokes
before a match result has been decided.

Apply the lowest stroke index hole (1 or 2) on each nine in the middle triad. If no hole within the middle triad is ranked within the lowest 6 holes relative to par,
then it can be moved into an adjacent hole at the end of the first triad or the beginning of the third triad on each nine.

Apply the second lowest stroke index hole (3 or 4) on each nine in either the first or third triad, unless the lowest stroke index hole has been allocated in that
same triad.

If possible, avoid low stroke indexes (6 or less) on consecutive holes.

When a player receives more than 18 strokes, the same allocation order is used with stroke index 1 repeating as stroke index 19, 37 and 55, with all additional
strokes going up sequentially.

These recommended procedures support the guidance contained in the Rules of
Golf, Committee Procedures.

Is the "hole-by-hole data provided from the Course Rating procedure" available to clubs?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is the "hole-by-hole data provided from the Course Rating procedure" available to clubs?
It will be. I think clubs get it when the Course Rating & Slope figures are received. If not they can ask EG.

But of course it will have to be or otherwise how could the club allocated the results. The actual distribution of SIs is not automatic.

The club will :-
Apply odd stroke index allocations ....
Spread stroke index allocations ....
Apply the lowest stroke index hole ....
Apply the second lowest stroke index ....
If possible, avoid ....

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It will be. I think clubs get it when the Course Rating & Slope figures are received. If not they can ask EG.

But of course it will have to be or otherwise how could the club allocated the results. The actual distribution of SIs is not automatic.

The club will :-
Apply odd stroke index allocations ....
Spread stroke index allocations ....
Apply the lowest stroke index hole ....
Apply the second lowest stroke index ....
If possible, avoid ....

Thanks - there was no hole by hole in the CR/slope data I received and, of course, until you posted these revised SI allocation recommendations I didn't know we would need them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks - there was no hole by hole in the CR/slope data I received and, of course, until you posted these revised SI allocation recommendations I didn't know we would need them.
I think they are now intending to send out this supplementary info once virtually all courses have been done. But as you say, too late for clubs to use it. But it is only a recommendation and many clubs had previously ignored the matchplay recommendation anyway. I doubt it will make much/any difference to handicaps.
I'm pretty sure you can ask EG for it now though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I do not know if it is relevant to what you are looking for. We use IG and with any medal we can simply 'press the right button' and it will give the difficulty rating for the holes.

We used this over a number of medals to assess our SIs ratings for difficulty.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do not know if it is relevant to what you are looking for. We use IG and with any medal we can simply 'press the right button' and it will give the difficulty rating for the holes.

We used this over a number of medals to assess our SIs ratings for difficulty.

We use Handicapmaster which also has the facility, based on rounds played, to rank holes in their difficulty in playing to the hole's par, allowing you to set the period of time to be used.

What Rulefan was talking about, I believe, is the rating team's assessment of each individual hole which, when all put together, comes up with the Course Rating data for the course as a whole.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We use Handicapmaster which also has the facility, based on rounds played, to rank holes in their difficulty in playing to the hole's par, allowing you to set the period of time to be used.

What Rulefan was talking about, I believe, is the rating team's assessment of each individual hole which, when all put together, comes up with the Course Rating data for the course as a whole.

I was not involved and will ask the Manager if we were given ours when it was done. However as said in another post we have now printed enough cards for a couple of years so it will not get changed any time soon and if the finances are okay we may well have a complete redesign of many holes on the course during the next 5 years so I expect it will left as is in the intervening period.